Poll

Is it safe to say that Kelly Olynyk was a good pick by Ainge now?

Yes
60 (63.8%)
No
34 (36.2%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Author Topic: Is it safe to say that Kelly Olynyk was a good pick by Ainge now?  (Read 29119 times)

Re: Is it safe to say that Kelly Olynyk was a good pick by Ainge now?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 12:14:00 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
Passing up on a young player with star potential for a nearly 4 years older complimentary role player is never a good pick.
presumably the logic behind Young over hood.
Young never had star potential.  If he had, he wouldn't have fallen to 17.  I'd put Young (and Sully) in the value pick category. 

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 12:15:38 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Passing up on a young player with star potential for a nearly 4 years older complimentary role player is never a good pick.
Young never had star potential.  If he had, he wouldn't have fallen to 17.  I'd put Young (and Sully) in the value pick category.

Giannis fell to 15?

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2016, 12:30:55 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552

Giannis fell to 15?
No he didn't fall.  Giannis made a late, quick rise up to be projected as a mid 1st pick.   
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Giannis-Antetokounmpo-7223/mock-draft-history/ 

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 12:33:02 AM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
Kelly is who he is. He's a 7ft SG, but everyone knows Giannis was the "swinging for the fences" pick. I rather would of swung for the fences and bet right on giannis than hit a single KO. Ainge made a mistake and he's done it plenty of times before, he's not a great drafter and i think we have enough history to show that.

I'm pretty optimistic about Jaylen, but at the same time the kid could just be average. Only time will tell.

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 12:50:13 AM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Meh.

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2016, 01:42:03 AM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
With Kelly at times like tonight I love this game, but my problem is his consistency. I've often said to my friends that if Olynyk is played at the 3 and learns to play with his back to the basket even slightly  he could start for us at PF.

He has the perfect versatility for today's game. He's become a solid defender, not good.

Surprisingly, Kelly's game is limited and it's not because of his athleticism. It's because of his footwork. He is literally a legitimate mid-range face up game away from being a player that could start every night for us. He doesn't have a jap-step, he has a shot fake, just needs to work with Al on that faceup footwork.

For now he's a solid bench big and gives us offense in spurts. Still believe we should have stayed put and selected Schroeder or Gobert. Couldn't believe we had traded up for Olynyk and still can't.

Schroeder is the perfect Ainge prospect, lengthy point guard who can defend, but Ainge was probably driven away from the fact that he could shoot.

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2016, 01:42:34 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
How many of the arguments in this thread could be used to support the idea that Ainge should have taken Shabazz Muhammad instead of Olynyk?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2016, 01:58:03 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
How many of the arguments in this thread could be used to support the idea that Ainge should have taken Shabazz Muhammad instead of Olynyk?
We did have Turner back then so Mohammed could have had a minutes block and not be as far along as he is in Minny.

We could have soaked up KO's minutes with Jerebko, David Lee, and Zeller but Mohamed would have been tough to find minutes for with E.T. clogging up the pipeline. That being said Stevens would be a perfect coach for someone like Shabazz. It'd be fun to watch.

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2016, 02:53:39 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
We did have Turner back then so Mohammed could have had a minutes block and not be as far along as he is in Minny.

We could have soaked up KO's minutes with Jerebko, David Lee, and Zeller but Mohamed would have been tough to find minutes for with E.T. clogging up the pipeline. That being said Stevens would be a perfect coach for someone like Shabazz. It'd be fun to watch.
We did not have Turner at that point in time.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2016, 03:47:47 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Olynyk is a beta version 3 and D center
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2016, 04:02:29 AM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
Yeah there was Giannis, a few other good players, but Kelly has turned out as one of the better players in his class. He's arguably the best 3 point shooting 7 footer in the NBA. Defense has become serviceable and at times he's defended excellently.

Personally I think enough time has passed that we can say Olynyk was a very good pick with #12 or #13 or whatever he was, regardless of who we missed out on taking ahead of him.

It depends on the context... I guess the answer is yes relative to the other garbage in that draft, but obviously no when Giannis was on everyone's radar prior to the draft (Ainge was said to be scouting him, etc) and had far more upside.

I absolutely HATE Kelly as a player... he occasionally has a game where he will get 12 points and make most of his shots, but he's wildly inconsistent. He also provides nothing else (poor rebounding, blocks, steals, etc), and he's very uncoordinated when he drives at the hoop. The Dirk impression fallaways are also very annoying because he never makes them and they look so ugly due to his lack of coordination. I really hope we can trade him and get someone half serviceable for him.

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2016, 06:06:28 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He has played well the last two games.  Prior to that he has been all over the place.   So I am hoping he was still discovering his mojo post surgery and coming into stride.  But given his past, he might pull a disappearing act.

To the OP,  two good games in a row, and your posting this laughable.  I mean I hope he maintains it, but look at this game logs

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/2489663/kelly-olynyk

This only consistent thing is he is inconsistent, I hope I am wrong, though.  But decent last two games except we could have used some boards from him last night.  3 rebounds in 26 minutes for a seven footer.

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2016, 06:44:53 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
yes. he was a good pick. was he a great pick? no. but he was a solid pick

Exactly. Was he the best possible pick? No. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a good pick

If Ainge had taken the Greek freak and the Greek freak ended up busting (which is the way more likey outcome for a total wildcard playing in a weak division overseas), people would be mad that Danny didn't go with a safer pick like Olynyk
I'm bitter.

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2016, 06:58:31 AM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Since he's had 2 good games in a row and the entire history of the world erases itself after 6 days or so, yes, it's clear that today he was a good pick.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2016, 07:28:31 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
soft