Author Topic: If we drafted Horford how good would have our team been?  (Read 3502 times)

If we drafted Horford how good would have our team been?
« on: November 12, 2008, 12:29:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This is a hypothetical question that i wanted to see the celtics fans reactions from.

If horford was drafted the trades wouldn't have happen, we would have prob packaged some young players for a vet SG.

Al horford is looking like the best player coming out of last years draft. He is an awsome defensive Center/PF, mature, and is a huge reason atlanta is becoming a stable up and coming team.

Question then is how decent do you guys feel the celtics team would have been with a big three of horford, jefferson and pierce??

Would such a team be able to contend for a championship team??

Better question would be is that would such a team(say in their year 2 together) including a major vet SG and rondo as the top 5(perk, gomes coming off the bench), be able to beat the current celtics team in a best of 7 series??

Re: If we drafted Horford how good would have our team been?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 12:34:20 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
This is a hypothetical question that i wanted to see the celtics fans reactions from.

If horford was drafted the trades wouldn't have happen, we would have prob packaged some young players for a vet SG.

Al horford is looking like the best player coming out of last years draft. He is an awsome defensive Center/PF, mature, and is a huge reason atlanta is becoming a stable up and coming team.

Question then is how decent do you guys feel the celtics team would have been with a big three of horford, jefferson and pierce??

Better question would be is that would such a team(say in their year 2 together) including a major vet SG and rondo as the top 5(perk, gomes coming off the bench), be able to beat the current celtics team in a best of 7 series??
What would we have to trade to move up to the 3rd pick? We only had the 5th pick, and Horford wasn't dropping.

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 12:34:53 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
My guess is Pierce would have been traded at some point last season.  So if we add those mystery pieces into the mix we'd be a pretty mediocre team.

If Pierce hung around and stuck with the program, maybe we take Atlanta's 8th seed and lose in 5 to Detroit in the first round.
Yup

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 12:35:30 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

What would we have to trade to move up to the 3rd pick? We only had the 5th pick, and Horford wasn't dropping.

...and then there's that :D
Yup

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 12:36:55 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yeah, I think this is important to know in order to answer this hypothetical.  From what the rumors were at the time, it was going to cost something very substantial to move up to #3 to get him, so that likely would have made a big difference in what we could do after.

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 01:13:25 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I don't think we had a shot at him without giving up Pierce but I would like to add my 2 cents that he was the real rookie of the year last year.  Durant is a defensive ghost.

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 02:04:35 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
if we traded up for Horford (trading or alienating Pierce, your choice), then we wouldn't have gotten Ray or KG, and we would still be calling Doc a caveman and hating our losing system, aka: the youth movement.

If there is anything I have learnd from the last 3 seasons of the NBA, its that veterans win titles.  Just ask John Paxson...

No matter how good these rookies are, it seems to takes a great player 5 years in this league to know how to lead a team to the W in the playoffs.

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 02:55:53 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
If Pierce was still with the team and Horford fell to 5 instead of 3, you'd have Perk,Horford,Rondo,Pierce, and Jefferson or something like that for the starting 5.

Would be fun to watch at times but wouldn't win that many games. I think Pierce would go a-wall with all this youth. You'd have to trade Pierce.

Gotta say I do like Horford alot and was hoping he'd fall to 5. I was bullsheit when we got Ray-Ray. I thought once we got Ray we had no chance at Garnett. In all I'm happy how things worked out.

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 02:55:59 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
No way this team wins the championship without KG.  KG changed the ENTIRE culture around from losing and not hustling on defense to winning and playing tenacious defense.  Without that D, there's no way the Celts beat the Lakers in the finals.  So yeah Horford/Jefferson would have been a fun young combo to watch play.  But KG is worth more than them if you're looking to win the NBA championship.

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 05:59:05 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

the 5th pick and Scal

Horfor, AJ, is better front line than Atlantas, m,aybe then we could go after JJ again and make somthing like
Horford, Al Jeffersopn, Joe johnson, Rondo and...???? which veteran was available to fill the SF spot, because Pierce would have asked for a trade inmediatly
Maybe now we can be sad after yesterdays game because our powerfull young undefeaed team was beated by a seasoned Atlanda.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 06:10:14 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

the 5th pick and Scal

Horfor, AJ, is better front line than Atlantas, m,aybe then we could go after JJ again and make somthing like
Horford, Al Jeffersopn, Joe johnson, Rondo and...???? which veteran was available to fill the SF spot, because Pierce would have asked for a trade inmediatly
Maybe now we can be sad after yesterdays game because our powerfull young undefeaed team was beated by a seasoned Atlanda.

Scal and the 5th? You aren't even trying. You know what we could get for Scal and the 5th? Maybe the 8th pick.

Horford was close to a unanimous 3rd pick in mock drafts.

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 06:11:15 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

the 5th pick and Scal

Scal and the 5th? You aren't even trying. You know what we could get for Scal and the 5th? Maybe the 8th pick.

Horford was close to a unanimous 3rd pick in mock drafts.

hahahaha
yup
ok some realistic one

5th and DW

Nice to be back!

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 06:12:54 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
p.s. back then nobody knew how good horford would be
he was a force in college but he waqs consider a tweener center for some
After a season its easier to make this statments but not back then

Nice to be back!

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 06:16:41 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
How about that Amare/Horford front line Portland has in the Celticsblog fake draft.  Pretty impressive, I've got to say.

;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions