Author Topic: Woj: Hayward to Charlotte (4 years, $120 million)  (Read 187247 times)

Re: Hayward Option Deadline 11/17 at 5pm
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2020, 10:25:05 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Worst case scenario is Hayward ops out and Boston gets absolutely nothing for him. Best case is he opts in for this final year. This would allow Boston to either keep them or trade them. Middle case would be him opting in for less money and more term. That would show that he is staying in Boston.

Why is him opting in better than extending him?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2020, 11:49:02 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
what are people speculating as the plausibe reasons for Hayward taking his decision all the way to the wire. Is this a common thing for players with a contract option? Is there value to the team for delayed decision? Does the team know what his decision is likely to be though the public does not?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 06:36:34 PM by Ogaju »

« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2020, 11:58:38 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
what are people speculating as the plausibe reasons for Hayward taking his decision all the way to the wire. Is this a common thing for players with a contract option? Is there value to the team for delayed decision? Does the team know what is decision is likely to be though the public does not?

Hard to say. His agent may be attempting to negotiate an extension. He may be trying to solicit firm free agent offers from other teams. Or, Hayward may just be somebody who makes last minute decisions.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2020, 12:00:46 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
what are people speculating as the plausibe reasons for Hayward taking his decision all the way to the wire. Is this a common thing for players with a contract option? Is there value to the team for delayed decision? Does the team know what is decision is likely to be though the public does not?

My guess is that there are potential trade possibilities that may or may not happen and out of respect, Ainge is keeping him in the loop.

For example, if Ainge works out a deal with Indiana, Hayward could sign an extension with the Pacers.  If that doesn’t work out, it would make more sense for Hayward to opt in.

« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2020, 12:02:08 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

Hard to say. His agent may be attempting to negotiate an extension. He may be trying to solicit firm free agent offers from other teams. Or, Hayward may just be somebody who makes last minute decisions.

My take is so that he has control over being traded or not.  They can't trade him unless/until he opts in.  My guess is that he want to opt in ($34.1M is a lot of money) but also wants a say in where he plays next season.  If he just opted in a few weeks ago, the Celtics could trade him where ever they wanted.

« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2020, 12:02:10 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
There might be ongoing negotiations on a few trade scenarios depending on if he picks the option or is willing to do a sign and trade... it’s also possible that the trading partner are waiting on Danny to cough up more draft picks ( something he has been notoriously stingy with )... given the suspense and that Hayward is going down to the wire there has to be big dilemmas in on his part and also with the trading partners...
I think Danny has a predetermined price for everything and he is ready to dance as long as his price is close to being met...
I’m almost 100% sure he is not begging Hayward to give the Celtics one more year of his services but who knows..

« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2020, 12:09:52 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
There might be ongoing negotiations on a few trade scenarios depending on if he picks the option or is willing to do a sign and trade... it’s also possible that the trading partner are waiting on Danny to cough up more draft picks ( something he has been notoriously stingy with )... given the suspense and that Hayward is going down to the wire there has to be big dilemmas in on his part and also with the trading partners...
I think Danny has a predetermined price for everything and he is ready to dance as long as his price is close to being met...
I’m almost 100% sure he is not begging Hayward to give the Celtics one more year of his services but who knows..

Unfortunately for Hayward, he has almost no leverage here - unless he wants to sign with ATL or NYK - and neither does the team who wants to trade for him. If we do a s&t, we are likely the ones getting a draft pick, not the receiving team, as we would  be doing him and them a favor. I guess this wouldn't necessarily be the case if we were getting something of real value back, but Hayward needs to make a decision by 5pm regardless and, if he opts in, Danny can feel free to trade him wherever he feels like.

I'd imagine both sides have an idea of what's going on, though, and they are trying to work out the final details. These details are just not being released to the public as of yet.

« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2020, 12:10:34 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Worst case scenario is Hayward ops out and Boston gets absolutely nothing for him. Best case is he opts in for this final year. This would allow Boston to either keep them or trade them. Middle case would be him opting in for less money and more term. That would show that he is staying in Boston.

Best case is him opting-out and re-signing for longer term on a lower annual salary.  That would

a) reduce or possibly even remove our tax hit this year - and potentially kick the repeater tax penalty out to 2024
b) allow him time to play to his value -- even if you still want to trade him, it would be far better to trade him after he's proven he's healthy, rather than right after playing just 4 hobbled playoff games coming off an injury.
c) again, even if you still want to trade him, trading him on a lower salary reduces the amount of salary that the other team has to send out (and that you have to take back) which helps keep us under the LT threshold (see part (a)).
d) having him on a longer term, more cost-controlled contract makes him easier to trade down the road.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2020, 12:14:54 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Here is an interesting question :
Can Danny trade Hayward to OKC for Oubre jr and Green? If the thunder are under the cap they can accommodate trades without salary matching requirements... however green and oubres salaries can not be combined...
Oubre plus green are enough to salary match Hayward but OKC can not structure the trade to make it legal. They are not that much under the cap...
Could they reroute one of green or Oubre to the warriors first for their trade exception and then trade for Hayward while creating a big trade exception for the Celtics which in turn is enough to absorb the rerouted player to the warriors ?

« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2020, 12:35:21 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
Here is an interesting question :
Can Danny trade Hayward to OKC for Oubre jr and Green? If the thunder are under the cap they can accommodate trades without salary matching requirements... however green and oubres salaries can not be combined...
Oubre plus green are enough to salary match Hayward but OKC can not structure the trade to make it legal. They are not that much under the cap...
Could they reroute one of green or Oubre to the warriors first for their trade exception and then trade for Hayward while creating a big trade exception for the Celtics which in turn is enough to absorb the rerouted player to the warriors ?

If he opts in or resigns yes. But it would make the phoenix/okc deal become a 3 team or else would have to wait 90? days for traded player restrictions to lift
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2020, 12:37:20 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Before now, my hope has been that Hayward opts out and resigns to a longer deal.  But the more I think about it, the less sense it makes for hayward.  He can play out the year at the current rate and then sign another contract next year (with the celts or another team) and make more money (by taking the full contract this year).

« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2020, 12:45:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Before now, my hope has been that Hayward opts out and resigns to a longer deal.  But the more I think about it, the less sense it makes for hayward.  He can play out the year at the current rate and then sign another contract next year (with the celts or another team) and make more money (by taking the full contract this year).

That is the most likely result, but there’s risk for him. If he can average $25 million per year this season, why wait until next off-season? If he suffers through another injury plagued yea, he is looking at $15 million per season or less I would imagine.

« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2020, 12:47:23 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
Playing out the year makes sense at this time because it looks like the Covid situation may be a lot better one year from now and by extension the fans are back, revenues pick up and there's more money  out there.  Unless someone makes him an offer he can't refuse - whether it's the Celtics or another team.

I would say the fact that nothing has leaked out means the Celtics are negotiating - whether it's to keep him or he's already told them he wants out and they're trying to figure out a sign and trade. 

When Danny strikes nothing usually gets out, so the wheels are definitely grinding - I guess we'll find out shortly.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 01:03:10 PM by Kuberski33 »

« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2020, 12:50:32 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

That is the most likely result, but there’s risk for him. If he can average $25 million per year this season, why wait until next off-season? If he suffers through another injury play gear, he is looking at $15 million per season or less I would imagine.

The hayward family seem like very smart people.  Invest their money well and not spend it.  They may feel that his injuries are freak accidents and want to bet on him because no matter what they are set for life.  I still think that he knows what he is doing and working with the team to figure out the best route.  He either wants out badly or loves it here and wants to keep playing for Brad.  Gordon seems like a guy who got paid a lot of money and feels bad he didn't perform for the team.  Maybe he feels he owes the C's.  Maybe he doesn't and just wants to go home so his wife and kids have familiar faces around daily.  No one truly knows but I do believe that Brad, Danny and the Haywards have been in constant communication in regards to his future.  The media is just throwing Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. at the wall to see what sticks.  Click bait until I see Danny or Hayward make some sort of statement.

« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2020, 12:53:00 PM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
Unless he gets hurt again. Then he loses big time.

At this point I think I would rather keep him on an extension, make a middle tier trade with picks and players for a shooter and use the mle and bae on bigs.   Be nice if Kanter opted out and poirer is traded.

All this changes if Hayward wants out. If he wants out make best deal you can from Knicks or Indiana for bu pg  big and bu sf. Get something for nothing. A s&t is probably the worst case as it doesn't shed anyone else.