Author Topic: The Roster Thread  (Read 8491 times)

Re: The Roster Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2016, 07:04:14 AM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
IT/Rozier/Jackson
AB/Smart/Green/Hunter
Crowder/Brown
JJ/KO/Mickey
Hordford/AJ/Zeller

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2016, 08:20:50 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
My predictions to start the season

Starters:
Thomas
Bradley
Crowder
Olynyk
Horford

Second Unit:
Smart
Rozier
Brown
Jerebko
Amir

Will join rotation if injury occurs:
Green
Zeller
Mickey

D-league:
Jackson
RJ
I think you have this mostly right. I think Amir is the starter next to Horford and Olynyk comes off the bench. I also see Green as the backup SF on the second team. What I would do is add a category, that being Rotational Player and put Brown's name there. I definitely can see CBS going with an 11 man rotation. Then the Injury players and the D-League players you have correct.

I do have to say that I wonder if Mickey makes the squad. Yes he showed promise in the D-League last year but the only thing that translated to the NBA was shot blocking. If Bentil comes in and has a spectacular pre-season does the coaching staff think about giving that Mickey's spot to Bentil and trading Mickey. Most probably not but it could be a possibility.

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2016, 12:59:10 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Starters:
Thomas
Bradley
Crowder
Olynyk
Horford

Second Unit:
Smart
Rozier
Brown
Jerebko
Amir

Green
Zeller
Mickey

D-league:
Jackson
RJ
I think you have this mostly right. I think Amir is the starter next to Horford and Olynyk comes off the bench. I also see Green as the backup SF on the second team. What I would do is add a category, that being Rotational Player and put Brown's name there. I definitely can see CBS going with an 11 man rotation. Then the Injury players and the D-League players you have correct.

I do have to say that I wonder if Mickey makes the squad. Yes he showed promise in the D-League last year but the only thing that translated to the NBA was shot blocking. If Bentil comes in and has a spectacular pre-season does the coaching staff think about giving that Mickey's spot to Bentil and trading Mickey. Most probably not but it could be a possibility.
This.  Olynyk, I understand will not be ready to start the season anyway.  Green should certainly be the backup SF over Brown at least to start the season.

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2016, 03:38:11 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
We will learn something about Brown early on, since he will have Green pushing him for minutes.

Almost makes the GG signing a good one for just that reason.

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2016, 04:35:12 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
We will learn something about Brown early on, since he will have Green pushing him for minutes.

Almost makes the GG signing a good one for just that reason.

To look at that the other way around, Green is insurance against Brown developing slowly, a veteran; you know what you can get from him night to night.

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2016, 04:40:38 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
IT,   Smart, Rozier, Jackson

Bradley, Brown,     Hunter

Crowder,  Green

Olynyk  ,  Jerebko    Mickey

Horford, Johnson   Zeller

To start, I dont see Rozier  or Hunter getting any significant minutes yet.  With the additions of Brown  and Green playing the 2-3 positions, I see smart being given a chance in that 6th man PG position; Kinda like the one Evan turner played.  I don't  think Green replaces turner but I have a good feeling he will mesh will and play minmmum 20+ minutes  by at least halfway through the season.  Rozier and Hunters progresison isn't vital with the current roster imo. Johnson will probably come off the bench unless their ready to let Mickey play back up for the way these back up centers are getting payed,  I doubt were just going to let second units bully ours in the paint. The Green addition signaled to me were playing for win's. Giving up on James young wasn't  because he had no potential left, were pretty much devleoping as a team faster then he is as a player.  I do honestly believe this is the  yseason we attract that player werel ooking for.  Danny's wonderful patience put us in position to be in possibly every major transaciton that happens in the NBA.  We will play to persuade!

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2016, 06:45:14 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
For this entire thought process, one needs to throw out everything that happened in summer league.  It is meaningless.

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2016, 07:06:48 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

Starters:
Thomas
Bradley
Crowder
Olynyk
Horford

Second Unit:
Smart
Rozier
Brown
Jerebko
Amir

Green
Zeller
Mickey

D-league:
Jackson
RJ

This.  Olynyk, I understand will not be ready to start the season anyway.  Green should certainly be the backup SF over Brown at least to start the season.
this may not be accurate, as shown below.

"Kelly Olynyk underwent a successful right shoulder arthroscopy for recurrent subluxations on Monday, and he is currently without an official timetable to return.
While an official timetable has not yet been set, a standard recovery period for the kind of procedure he underwent is typically in the five-month range, so he should be good to go when the 2016-17 season begins."

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nba/2133/kelly-olynyk
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2016, 07:11:03 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I'd bet the Opening night Starters:

IT
Bradley
Crowder
Horford
Johnson
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2016, 09:36:15 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell

Starters:
Thomas
Bradley
Crowder
Olynyk
Horford

Second Unit:
Smart
Rozier
Brown
Jerebko
Amir

Green
Zeller
Mickey

D-league:
Jackson
RJ

"Kelly Olynyk underwent a successful right shoulder arthroscopy for recurrent subluxations on Monday, and he is currently without an official timetable to return.
While an official timetable has not yet been set, a standard recovery period for the kind of procedure he underwent is typically in the five-month range, so he should be good to go when the 2016-17 season begins."

Well we shall see.  I personally think Amir is a better fit next to Horford who would then be able to play more PF.

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2016, 10:02:05 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Starters:
Thomas
Bradley
Crowder
Olynyk
Horford

Second Unit:
Smart
Rozier
Brown
Jerebko
Amir

Green
Zeller
Mickey

D-league:
Jackson
RJ

Well we shall see.  I personally think Amir is a better fit next to Horford who would then be able to play more PF.

I love Olynyk's ability to spread the floor for Horford and Thomas. Plus, I'd ratherhave a rim protector at all times (Horford/Johnson). So I prefer to have Johnson off the bench. That said, without a full training camp I don't expect Olynyk to be the opening night starter, but rather work his way to that spot after a few games.

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2016, 10:21:35 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Starters:
Thomas
Bradley
Crowder
Olynyk
Horford

Second Unit:
Smart
Rozier
Brown
Jerebko
Amir

Green
Zeller
Mickey

D-league:
Jackson
RJ

I love Olynyk's ability to spread the floor for Horford and Thomas. Plus, I'd ratherhave a rim protector at all times (Horford/Johnson). So I prefer to have Johnson off the bench. That said, without a full training camp I don't expect Olynyk to be the opening night starter, but rather work his way to that spot after a few games.

Obviously all three will play next to each other at different times.  That said, I'd start Amir to keep some shooting on the bench, which currently is full of slashers.  Having Olynyk and Jerebko on the outside to bomb from three should help keep lanes open better for Rozier, Smart, and Brown, assuming that is the bench.

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2016, 11:13:32 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
My guess, which is subject to change with any trade that might occur, is the following:

Amir / Olynyk / Horford/ Zeller
Horford / Olynyk / Jerebko / Mickey
Crowder / Brown / Green
Avery / Smart / Green
Thomas / Rozier / Smart

deep bench/trade/cut in no particular order:  Hunter, Young, Jackson, Bentil,

Holland will be cut.  Nader already agreed to be stashed.

Olynyk will likely have a slow start to the season, coming back from shoulder surgery, hence the desirability of a fourth layer of depth at the 4 & 5.

Both Crowder and Brown are likely to see some time at 4 in 'small' lineups.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2016, 05:44:36 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

IT
Bradley
Crowder
Horford
Johnson

I think, this is right, TP to you.

Everyone can talk about what Olynyk can do with Horford.   But I think he is going to have to earn that position.  Nothing he has done the past indicates they are going to give it to him.   In fact, his not playing hurt, may hurt his chances.   Recall Ainge's, I have another hand comments in summer league when RJ hurt his hand.   Could he feel the same way about KO's shoulder?

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2016, 07:08:47 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell

IT
Bradley
Crowder
Horford
Johnson

I think, this is right, TP to you.

Everyone can talk about what Olynyk can do with Horford.   But I think he is going to have to earn that position.  Nothing he has done the past indicates they are going to give it to him.   In fact, his not playing hurt, may hurt his chances.   Recall Ainge's, I have another hand comments in summer league when RJ hurt his hand.   Could he feel the same way about KO's shoulder?
Yup, TP for you too.  I really think it's unlikely that KO is starter on opening night, not only because he is coming off an injury and major surgery, but also because Horford has changed his game by adding the 3-point shot and I think he really doesn't want to play center very much.  Sure, he will do it for short stretches but I think he wants to be a PF and not take a beating so much inside.  I am convinced this was a key topic he discussed with Ainge/Stevens before signing.