Author Topic: Lakers ties Celtics with 17 championships. Truly disappointing  (Read 4283 times)

Re: Lakers ties Celtics with 17 championships. Truly disappointing
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2020, 07:42:27 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
So the Lakers now have 17 titles including 5 from Minneapolis. After reading through various articles on arguments for and against counting the 5 Minneapolis titles together with the 12 Los Angeles banners, I came across a very interesting tidbit. The man responsible for giving Minny its 5 titles, Gerorge Mikan, has yet to have his number retired by the Lakers (i think there are other Minny players from that era that deserve their numbers retired too). Anybody know the reason for this?

Because the Lakers don't care, and never have cared, about Minny, other than for the fact that they could get 5 titles from them.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2020, 08:49:06 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
So the Lakers now have 17 titles including 5 from Minneapolis. After reading through various articles on arguments for and against counting the 5 Minneapolis titles together with the 12 Los Angeles banners, I came across a very interesting tidbit. The man responsible for giving Minny its 5 titles, Gerorge Mikan, has yet to have his number retired by the Lakers (i think there are other Minny players from that era that deserve their numbers retired too). Anybody know the reason for this?

Because the Lakers don't care, and never have cared, about Minny, other than for the fact that they could get 5 titles from them.

Taking another city's credit, how pitiful. That's like saying OKC Thunder fans claiming they won one title from 1979 when the team was still in Seattle.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2020, 08:55:30 PM »

Offline BadNewsBarnes

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 41
So it's 17 championships each.  Let's go to the tie breaker; head-to-head in the finals.  Celtics win 9-3!

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2020, 08:58:27 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Regarding all the talk about Lebron doing it for Kobe, Kobe was a lifetime Laker whereas Lebron, AD and the whole Lakers team are ring chasing mercenaries.

Lebron's won 4 rings, but they've been on 3 different franchises, each with all-star caliber teammates and all with sidekicks who are better closers than him. He's the ultimate ring chaser.

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2020, 09:28:52 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
Regarding all the talk about Lebron doing it for Kobe, Kobe was a lifetime Laker whereas Lebron, AD and the whole Lakers team are ring chasing mercenaries.

Lebron's won 4 rings, but they've been on 3 different franchises, each with all-star caliber teammates and all with sidekicks who are better closers than him. He's the ultimate ring chaser.

But LeBron's never formed a superteam   ::) ::) ::)

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2020, 09:33:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
To be clear, no one else from Minnesota deserves to have their number retired.  It isn't a question at all.  Mikan is the only one.  And while the Lakers haven't officially retired 99, no one else has worn it since Mikan.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2020, 09:51:14 PM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
To me, the most disappointing part of their feat is when they won it the last 6 times. Those were all thru deals/negotiations. From the time they acquired Shaq (3 titles) , Pau (2) and Lebron/AD (recent). Incidentally, we won with KG and Ray acquisitions.

Jordan and Curry (for the early part) teams were mostly won by no-big name acquisitions. I can live with their winnings. Not with our perennial rivals.

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2020, 10:40:01 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
B/R says "Rajon Rondo is the first player in NBA history to win a championship with both L.A. Lakers and Boston Celtics."

So...if the Lakers have 17 championships, then Rondo is the second player to do this. If Rondo is the first player to do this, then the LA Lakers have 12 championships. Can't play both sides of NBA history.

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2020, 10:59:47 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
B/R says "Rajon Rondo is the first player in NBA history to win a championship with both L.A. Lakers and Boston Celtics."

So...if the Lakers have 17 championships, then Rondo is the second player to do this. If Rondo is the first player to do this, then the LA Lakers have 12 championships. Can't play both sides of NBA history.
You're quoting B/R but don't provide a link. 

The Lakers franchise has 17 championships.  5 in Minneapolis and 12 in LA.  The quote specifically refers to L.A. Lakers and Boston Celtics so it is correct.   If it had just said Lakers and Celtics, it would be incorrect. 

And here's an article that explains the distinction for you.   
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/rajon-rondo-is-the-second-player-in-nba-history-to-win-titles-with-both-the-lakers-and-celtics/ar-BB19VuHF?ocid=msedgntp 

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2020, 01:01:56 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White

You're quoting B/R but don't provide a link. 

The Lakers franchise has 17 championships.  5 in Minneapolis and 12 in LA.  The quote specifically refers to L.A. Lakers and Boston Celtics so it is correct.   If it had just said Lakers and Celtics, it would be incorrect. 

And here's an article that explains the distinction for you.   
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/rajon-rondo-is-the-second-player-in-nba-history-to-win-titles-with-both-the-lakers-and-celtics/ar-BB19VuHF?ocid=msedgntp

What I'm saying is...the LA Lakers have 12 championships, and Rondo is not allowed to be the first player in NBA history to win a championship with both Lakers and Celtics.

Rondo can't be the first player in NBA history to win a chip with both Lakers and Celtics, while the LA Lakers own 17 banners. It's either one or the other but ofc the crazy LAL fans don't care about Rondo but more about their 17 banners

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2020, 08:14:44 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Celtics just have to win one next season.

I gotta say, though, this makes that 2010 loss sting all over again.

The Final quarter of Game 7 was just so brutal.  Like watching a person slowly bleed out.

Haven't watched it since that night.

Yeah me either, I won't do that to myself.

Oh God, no.

I'll never forget jumping up off the couch and shouting at the TV when Rondo started slow-walking the ball up the court in the 4th. The C's let off the gas and the Lakers grabbed every rebound and... ugh.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2020, 03:22:07 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Never thought I’d see the day. This is why Ainge needs to be told “championship-or-gone in 2021.”

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2020, 03:27:52 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Eh ...

1 - Why does it matter?

Because of Celtic Pride. Because only one franchise in each professional sports league could claim their franchise has the most championships all-time, and we are no longer exclusively the basketball franchise in that most exclusive of clubs (and we may get thrown out of it next year  for the first time in over half a century; you have to go back even further to see when the Yankees, Packers and Canadiens did not have the most championships in their respective league). Having a legacy franchise matters.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 03:33:02 AM by GreenlyGreeny »