Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 393923 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2019, 10:10:31 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The Lakers took a roster that didn't sniff the playoffs, gutted it for Davis and filled it out with a bunch of fading veterans.

One thing I remember rolling my eyes at last night was Reggie and Kevin Harlan talking about the Lakers roster, and they tried to spin it like they purposefully went out to sign those guys.  Something like how they want to win a championship, so they went out and got all vets who know how to win.  Like it was a strategic move and not them having to pull guys off the scrap heap.

Yeah, that would have made my eyes roll too.  As they did in the immediate aftermath of some of their signings like Bradley and KCP.  They were after Kawhi, he went elsewhere, but by the time he did the free agency pool was dry, as Danny Green was pretty much the only free agent waiting on Kawhi’s decision.

If from the getgo the Lakers has realized Kawhi was never going there, they probably could have gotten 2-3 solid rotation players in free agency as opposed to flyers on guys who’ve been good in the past but have a lot of question marks, particularly around durability,  like Rondo (who already missed game one), Cousins (done for the year), and Bradley.

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2019, 10:43:35 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Clippers didn't even have Paul George and they won by 10.

The Lakers have the best DUO. Clippers have the best DEPTH. Overall, the Clippers are just deeper and IMO have the best player of the two teams (Kawhi).

Lakers meanwhile still just don't have enough shooting around them IMO. Green put up 28 and that's all they really got from their non-Lebron+AD group. KCP put up 0 points in 27 minutes lol
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2019, 10:46:34 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Obviously, its super early but color me unimpressed from what I saw out of the Lakers last night.

They're good but, by no means, are they world beaters.    A lot can change in the course of a season but they're thin right now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2019, 10:55:25 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

The Lakers have the best DUO. Clippers have the best DEPTH. Overall, the Clippers are just deeper and IMO have the best player of the two teams (Kawhi).

When healthy I'd say Kawhi+Paul George are a better duo than LeBron+AD at this point. The only hesitation is that they're both wings.

Lakers meanwhile still just don't have enough shooting around them IMO. Green put up 28 and that's all they really got from their non-Lebron+AD group. KCP put up 0 points in 27 minutes lol

KCP is a major contender to take the crown of "most money stolen from the Lakers" from either Steve Nash or Timofey Mozgov, and I kinda love him for it.

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2019, 11:02:22 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I think I said this during the Playoffs, maybe I didn't, but it's fair to say Kawhi Leonard is the best player in the NBA.

« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2019, 11:18:03 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

When healthy I'd say Kawhi+Paul George are a better duo than LeBron+AD at this point. The only hesitation is that they're both wings.

Especially since LeBron has never had good chemistry with any of the star big men (Bosh, Love) he has played with. Big challenge for him to learn how to play with AD.

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2019, 11:28:07 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

KCP is a major contender to take the crown of "most money stolen from the Lakers" from either Steve Nash or Timofey Mozgov, and I kinda love him for it.

KCP is only on the Lakers because he's a Rich Paul client I believe lol.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2019, 11:29:27 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Harkless looked really good last night.  If he's going to play like that for the Clips, that would change how I see that team. 

The Lakers really looked like LeBron, AD and a bunch of cast-offs.  Very thin team.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2019, 11:33:48 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Harkless looked really good last night.  If he's going to play like that for the Clips, that would change how I see that team. 

The Lakers really looked like LeBron, AD and a bunch of cast-offs.  Very thin team.

Lebron looked like he really ran out of guess in the 4th quarter. As usual, his counting stats end up looking pretty nice but he was -8 for the game and also had 5 turnovers (one basically sealed the game for clippers in 4th). He was 3rd best player on floor tonight. I also don't think this point guard concept with Lebron is going to work.

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2019, 11:39:53 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
i said Lakers would  finish 6th in the West..hope they finish last!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2019, 11:50:00 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Lebron looked like he really ran out of guess in the 4th quarter. As usual, his counting stats end up looking pretty nice but he was -8 for the game and also had 5 turnovers (one basically sealed the game for clippers in 4th). He was 3rd best player on floor tonight. I also don't think this point guard concept with Lebron is going to work.

Agree. He is still a gifted passer, but is better doing it from the forward position, ideally, the power forward position.  AD should be the center. 

« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2019, 11:50:50 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think I said this during the Playoffs, maybe I didn't, but it's fair to say Kawhi Leonard is the best player in the NBA.

While KD recovers, yes.

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2019, 12:06:14 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

While KD recovers, yes.

I doubt KD will recover enough to take the crown back.   Could still return to be All-NBA level, because he’s so talented, but I can’t imagine him being the best after an Achilles.  He’ll have lost some explosion.

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2019, 12:12:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

While KD recovers, yes.

Kawhi is the most lethal, automatic solo scorer in the NBA.  He's also a great defender.

I hesitate somewhat to say he's the best overall player in the NBA, just because I think you need a good structure around him to have a team that stays in striking distance. 

Kawhi can't be a system unto himself, but he can probably take any solid, well-constructed team and win playoff games just because it's impossible to stop him from getting good looks in end of game situations.

I'm not sure there's anybody else in the league who is as good as Kawhi at finding daylight for a shot.  Especially now that KD is hurt.

Giannis is more of a do-it-all freak though.  Issue for Giannis is that he's nowhere near as effective in half-court crunch time situations.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2019, 12:16:44 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
There's a bigger chance of the Celts reaching the east finals than the Lakers reaching the west finals.

What upgrade Ainge can do in a couple of months will determine how good this current Celtics team can become in the playoffs.