Poll

Were you for Allen trade and for the KG trade at the time.

Yes for both
14 (45.2%)
No on both.
3 (9.7%)
Yes for Allen only, wanted to keep Al and young guns.
2 (6.5%)
Yes for Allen only if it got KG.
11 (35.5%)
Wanted KD for PP and youth movement.
1 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: If you recall where did you stand on 07 trades  (Read 4127 times)

Re: If you recall where did you stand on 07 trades
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2022, 02:28:08 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I was over the top with the thought of KG on Boston.  I was following him as my favorite player and had been only excited over Pierce s presence on Boston. I was all for those trades.

Not a huge KD fan as I once was. His recent diva ness plus the Kyrie experience  has me very hesitant to wish him on this team and trade Jaylen.  In this era of nba , It’s a much bigger risk IMO to bring in KD than KG a loyal soul , who bonded good with Doc and the team.

KD is rubber but KG was glue...

KD might be the type of glue that ….runs … :D

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2022, 02:46:27 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I was over the top with the thought of KG on Boston.  I was following him as my favorite player and had been only excited over Pierce s presence on Boston. I was all for those trades.

Not a huge KD fan as I once was. His recent diva ness plus the Kyrie experience  has me very hesitant to wish him on this team and trade Jaylen.  In this era of nba , It’s a much bigger risk IMO to bring in KD than KG a loyal soul , who bonded good with Doc and the team.

KD is rubber but KG was glue...

KD might be the type of glue that ….runs … :D

Exactly. I was thinking rubber because you know he's going to bounce!

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2022, 11:32:09 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
I'll admit it - when I heard we traded the #5 pick for Ray Allen, I was cursing a blue streak. I remember calling a Celtic buddy of mine down here to commiserate. I just thought, "Here we go with another desperation trade by Danny, why not settle in on the rebuild around Jefferson and enough with the trade-o-matic philosophy."

I had been so heartbroken over the demise of our franchise since the tragedies of Bias and Lewis, I fought getting behind that Pierce-Garnett-Allen team all season and finally, the second half of the season, I started falling in love with them, all over again. It may have been that Texas triple win road swing that finally got me. What a team that turned out to be and me, appreciating team defense the way I do, loved watching them play on-a-string off the ball the way they did. Beautiful basketball.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2022, 11:54:23 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I wanted Oden or KD. But when we got 5th, I was happy we traded it for Allen (I wasn’t a believer of Jeff Green). Then I was over the moon when we got KG!

Youth is exciting but it rarely wins in this league
- LilRip

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2022, 08:43:41 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Nobody is going to admit that they were all in on the Yi Jianlian train, huh?

I really liked Corey Brewer and Brandan Wright in that draft, haha.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2022, 09:49:55 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

I wanted to believe in Yi Jianlian but I was never on the hype train lol I was a fan of Corey Brewer though and might’ve felt differently had the C’s picked him (instead of JGreen)
- LilRip

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2022, 10:56:19 AM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
As many others have said, I thought the Ray trade was weird if it was the only move we were making- made as stuck as a good but not great team, and didn’t really fit the timeline of some of the young guys. I was also a massive Al Jefferson fan, and really thought he’d be the next great big man. So while I could admit KG was a game changer, at the time I really wanted to hold on to what we had (I was also 14 so what did I know).

I do remember the Celtics filling out the bench that season, getting guys like Posey and House, and eventually PJ Brown, and thinking for the first time in my life: the Celtics can actually win a championship. It stinks that we only got one from that group due to injuries, but I’d still make those moves 100 times out of 100.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2022, 11:46:29 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
As many others have said, I thought the Ray trade was weird if it was the only move we were making- made as stuck as a good but not great team, and didn’t really fit the timeline of some of the young guys. I was also a massive Al Jefferson fan, and really thought he’d be the next great big man. So while I could admit KG was a game changer, at the time I really wanted to hold on to what we had (I was also 14 so what did I know).

I do remember the Celtics filling out the bench that season, getting guys like Posey and House, and eventually PJ Brown, and thinking for the first time in my life: the Celtics can actually win a championship. It stinks that we only got one from that group due to injuries, but I’d still make those moves 100 times out of 100.

Yeah, it was Posey that put us over the top in my mind.  I just watched an interview with Eddie House, and he said he’s the one that talked Posey into signing here.  He said Posey was on the verge of signing with NJ and House told him there’s no way he’d win there.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2022, 01:06:00 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Yeah I remember being ok with the kg trade.

But I was sad to think we’d be watching big Al and Gerald green dominate the league for years to come after kg was gone! 😂

I think the difference here is Jaylen brown is far better than Al or Gerald green ever were. And KD is no KG.

KD is a great offensive player. But clearly he will not revitalize a franchise with his positive energy and intensity the way KG did.

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2022, 01:19:37 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I loved the Ray Allen trade.

Before the KG trade, I was happy either way. I thought a trio of Big Al, Pierce and Ray could be a title contender as it was plus I loved the long term potential of Big Al as a post up scorer. I was also down on KG at the time after missing the playoffs for 2 years.

Then the trade happened and I was delighted and so excited that KG was here. Despite being a bit down on him at the time, KG was still super-talented and so much fun to watch and I couldn't wait to see the new-look Celtics together. That was an exciting summer.
This is just about exactly how I felt.

I was probably even down on the idea of trading Al Jefferson because I was a big fan but as soon as it happened and KG was on his way, I flipped pretty hard and was excited for KG.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2022, 08:11:23 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732

Yeah, it was Posey that put us over the top in my mind.  I just watched an interview with Eddie House, and he said he’s the one that talked Posey into signing here.  He said Posey was on the verge of signing with NJ and House told him there’s no way he’d win there.

Posey was so important to that team, on the court and off. I believed Danny should have given Posey that extra year he asked for to re-sign after the '08 title. Yeah, I get that he probably would have declined by then, but 2-3 good years of Posey would have made a big difference - would have helped us in 2010. By 2012, what difference would a less effective Posey have made anyway. We would have gotten a 5 year title window out of Garnett, which was maybe more than was expected when we added Allen and KG in the first place. I loved Eddie House as well - he hit the big shot in game 4 in '08 to finally get us the lead after that amazing comeback in LA. Seems it took Doc forever to start playing House ahead of Sam Cassell that season.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2022, 08:43:12 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
Al Jefferson is almost the classic example you can use to show why you should trade young players for veterans.  Of course, Jaylen Brown is the inverse of that, so it works both ways.  But I recall quite vividly how much the potential of Jefferson was debated on this board (or whatever prior iteration there was) and then when he was traded, even for someone like KG, there was still that what if on Jefferson being discussed.  That obviously all went away when Boston started out awesome and just kept right on rolling all season long and obviously in retrospect Jefferson never really reach the heights most of us thought he would.  He had a nice career, but was not the All NBA type player we thought he could be.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2022, 09:18:37 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Al Jefferson is almost the classic example you can use to show why you should trade young players for veterans.  Of course, Jaylen Brown is the inverse of that, so it works both ways.  But I recall quite vividly how much the potential of Jefferson was debated on this board (or whatever prior iteration there was) and then when he was traded, even for someone like KG, there was still that what if on Jefferson being discussed.  That obviously all went away when Boston started out awesome and just kept right on rolling all season long and obviously in retrospect Jefferson never really reach the heights most of us thought he would.  He had a nice career, but was not the All NBA type player we thought he could be.

How about Olidipo and Sabonis for George?

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2022, 11:21:24 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Hated the Ray Allen trade. Had no idea we still had enough ammo to land Garnett. I recall having mixed feelings about getting KG. Loved Garnett but hated to lose Al. Also worried that our championship window was somewhat narrow. In retrospect it was Danny’s finest moment as a GM. Close second was how he turned KG and Pierce into Tatum and Brown. Miraculous.

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2022, 08:32:05 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yeah, I remember you & I being big Brewer guys on here.  Horford falling to #5 was my pipedream with Brewer being my #2.

I know I sure as heck wanted no part of "The Chairman", though!

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team