Author Topic: Trade Idea: Derrick White for Markkanen  (Read 2690 times)

Re: Trade Idea: Derrick White for Markkanen
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2022, 06:08:07 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
It is a poor value trade.  White is better and given what Boston gave up to get him, they can't make that type of a trade for a guy that basically no one wanted last summer.  Plus, I don't think he makes Boston better than keeping White, and I'd honestly trust someone like Dwight Howard more to be a spot starter at center than someone like Markkanen.

White is better if we count both sides of the ball, offense, and defense... Markkanen is a poor defender...

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2022, 07:58:57 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Chicago and Cleveland played Markkanen as a wing. He did a little better in that role. He didn’t have the defense to play center. Still prefer White.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 09:32:39 AM by Sophomore »

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2022, 12:12:48 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
It is a poor value trade.  White is better and given what Boston gave up to get him, they can't make that type of a trade for a guy that basically no one wanted last summer.  Plus, I don't think he makes Boston better than keeping White, and I'd honestly trust someone like Dwight Howard more to be a spot starter at center than someone like Markkanen.

White is better if we count both sides of the ball, offense, and defense... Markkanen is a poor defender...

He's better on defense than you probably think.  White is the better defender overall,   but he's 7 feet and he can jump, he's made a lot of impressive blocks on excellent talent and length in the league.

Blocks that D white just simply cannot make. Plus with Horford about to rapidly decline I think it's a no Brainerd if Brogdon stays healthy 

When you factor in how much better Lauri is offensively,  reliable,  consistent three point shooter with a much better career percentage,  plus the fact he's seven feet tall.

Another thing he does consistently is dunk on the best players slash longest players  in the league
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 12:27:35 AM by KG Living Legend »

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2022, 10:04:09 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
If what the Cs gave up for White filters into the decision of a future trade - shame on Brad, Wyc, etc.   If PBS thinks LM offers a present/future team improvement over DW, then he should do it.  I like what White brings including the depth/flexibility he provides. Love his energy.   I agree that the Cs need more big man depth.  I’ve liked Markkanen when I’ve seen him which hasn’t been often. Certainly not often enough to evaluate whether I think he’d be more value than White (and I’m not particularly gifted at that type of evaluation anyway). I’ve certainly wondered why his career hasn’t progressed as it seemed it would early on.

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2022, 11:09:46 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 82
If what the Cs gave up for White filters into the decision of a future trade - shame on Brad, Wyc, etc.   If PBS thinks LM offers a present/future team improvement over DW, then he should do it.  I like what White brings including the depth/flexibility he provides. Love his energy.   I agree that the Cs need more big man depth.  I’ve liked Markkanen when I’ve seen him which hasn’t been often. Certainly not often enough to evaluate whether I think he’d be more value than White (and I’m not particularly gifted at that type of evaluation anyway). I’ve certainly wondered why his career hasn’t progressed as it seemed it would early on.

If this trade happened we’d have more big man depth, but we’d go back to being thin on ball-handlers. The moment Brogdon is out a few games we become really stretched.