Author Topic: Could we grab Obi Toppin?  (Read 5724 times)

Re: Could we grab Obi Toppin?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2022, 12:56:32 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He's sort of like the dollar shop John Collins. If the Knicks fumble and are willing to give him up for cheap, I'd be happy to acquire him.

I know I'll get slammed for this, but kind of moves like Ama're (very mechanical - but less athletic and shorter though).
Pretty sure that comparison was made often during his draft year. Not a mile off
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2022, 09:55:02 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
If Danny would rather have some seconds instead of Obi we should get in on this trade...

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/obi-toppin

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2022, 09:58:45 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
If Danny would rather have some seconds instead of Obi we should get in on this trade...

Not sure that link works.

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2022, 12:47:09 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Not sure that link works.

It works for me...

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2022, 12:56:43 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I might even give a 1st round pick if Brad thinks Topin could be a starter here.

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2022, 12:56:52 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Do the C’s not have enough PF’s? He’s physically talented, but very raw.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2022, 01:04:20 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Per 36 of 17 and 8. How’s his defense?
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/toppiob01.html

Not real good...
No, it is not good

I think it’d be fine here.  The Knicks had a 104 defensive rating when he played, and an 111.2 rating when he didn’t.  There’s obviously some lineup noise there, but if he could be part of good defenses on a bad defensive team, he can be part of good defenses on a good defensive team.
I've no doubt he has the tools to be quite a solid defender. Athletic, long and decently tall.
Yeah, that's the key in my mind. I want the C's to be the taller/bigger team which we saw was an advantage in the playoffs (except perhaps vs. Giannis).

Do the C’s not have enough PF’s? He’s physically talented, but very raw.
Much as I like Grant, he's part of Danny's legacy of infatuation with undersized power forwards.

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2022, 02:11:12 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Just checked Obis height 6'8.75" without shoes. So a legit 6'9" 7'2" wingspan and a great vertical.  I recently saw a picture of Obi and couldn't believe how long his legs looked.

If he will bust his but on defense for Ime nice addition and a body we could use.

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2022, 08:16:20 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Poor man’s Blake Griffin? Nah, I’m good.

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2022, 11:56:39 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He does not defend good laterally, I believe, so I would pass, that being said he'd be better than Kornet

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2022, 03:18:27 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Could we grab Obi in that Jazz/Knicks trade? He fits into one of our trade exceptions and we'd send out another first round pick to Danny.

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2022, 04:08:41 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Could we grab Obi in that Jazz/Knicks trade? He fits into one of our trade exceptions and we'd send out another first round pick to Danny.
liam, you've suggested that twice on this page. Personally, I'm not giving up a 1st round pick for a what, 12th man at best. Beyond that, C's already have traded away 1st round picks. They have to start re-building their stash of pick assets, not trading them away.

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2022, 04:18:00 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
liam, you've suggested that twice on this page. Personally, I'm not giving up a 1st round pick for a what, 12th man at best. Beyond that, C's already have traded away 1st round picks. They have to start re-building their stash of pick assets, not trading them away.

I see Toppin more as a third big. I see Toppin as a better asset than that really late first will bring. He's on a low contract until 2024.

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2022, 04:38:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I see Toppin more as a third big. I see Toppin as a better asset than that really late first will bring. He's on a low contract until 2024.
I'd give up a late 1st for Toppin as well.  Dude was one of the best players in college and then a lottery pick not that long ago.  Knicks are so terribly run can't put much stock in anything they do, but even in the limited minutes Toppin has performed pretty well.  5th from the draft class in WS/48, a positive BPM and VORP, etc.  Definitely worth a 1st as a flyer on him.  Kid has talent.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2022, 04:45:25 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I'd give up a late 1st for Toppin as well.  Dude was one of the best players in college and then a lottery pick not that long ago.  Knicks are so terribly run can't put much stock in anything they do, but even in the limited minutes Toppin has performed pretty well.  5th from the draft class in WS/48, a positive BPM and VORP, etc.  Definitely worth a 1st as a flyer on him.  Kid has talent.

I'd love to see what our coaching and BIg Al could do with him.