Author Topic: As is, are the Nets a title contender?  (Read 5728 times)

Re: As is, are the Nets a title contender?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2022, 07:27:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Let’s assume there’s a Durant + Curry + Johnson for JB + Smart + Grant + multiple picks trade.  Nets sign D12.  Where do the Nets rank in the East?

Claxton / Howard
Simmons / Warren / Grant
Jaylen / O'Neale / Edwards
Smart / Harris
Kyrie / Mills

Contender? 

I’d have them probably 4th in the East, depending on Kyrie’s focus.  And maybe I’m underselling them.  Three all-stars and a DPOY.

Boston, meanwhile:

Timelord / Horford
Durant / Gallinari
Tatum / Thomas / Hauser
White / Curry
Brogdon / Pritchard

« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 07:53:12 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2022, 07:43:53 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Let’s assume there’s a Durant + Curry + Johnson for JB + Smart + Grant + multiple picks trade.  Nets sign D13.  Where do the Nets rank in the East?

Claxton / Howard
Simmons / Warren / Grant
Smart / Harris
Kyrie / Mills

Contender? 

I’d have them probably 4th in the East, depending on Kyrie’s focus.  And maybe I’m underselling them.  Three all-stars and a DPOY.

Boston, meanwhile:

Timelord / Horford
Durant / Gallinari
Tatum / Thomas / Hauser
White / Curry
Brogdon / Pritchard

That mostly depends on Simmons and Irving. If Simmons somehow pulled it together, and they were a healthy team come the playoffs, they could conceivably beat the new C's.

With a fully functioning Simmons, they would probably be a better defensive team than the Celtics would be, and they would have excellent shooting too. The C's would still have some very, very good defenders, but they match up better than we do. Jaylen is quicker than Tatum and Kyrie would probably have his way too, especially without Smart to worry about.

Of course it's also possible that Simmons and/or Irving could melt down at any time.

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2022, 07:48:06 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The talent is there so, yes as is they are contenders. If they moved KD for JB and pieces probably not. KD is the superstar that makes it so.

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2022, 08:27:08 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Let’s assume there’s a Durant + Curry + Johnson for JB + Smart + Grant + multiple picks trade.  Nets sign D12.  Where do the Nets rank in the East?

Claxton / Howard
Simmons / Warren / Grant
Smart / Harris
Kyrie / Mills

Contender? 

Nah. The East would have 3 contenders with Philly, Boston and Milwaukee. BKN would rate similar to MIA. Higher than CHI or TOR but not by much. Closer to the bottom playoff teams than the top playoff teams.

That team would have some serious chemistry problems. You got 3 stars who all think they are "the man" and none of them have the game to rise up and take control of the team. Kyrie has it on experience and accolades. Jaylen has it in terms of game. Neither guy makes their teammates better. Ben Simmons is the only one who can make his teammates better but he struggles to score and is in a dodgy situation.

The B.Simmons & N.Claxton partnership is problem. BKN need to find a stretch five to put alongside Ben Simmons to compensate for Ben's dodgy shooting. Then another non-shooter in Howard as backup center. And a mediocre shooter in Smart starting at guard. Not a good situation. Not a situation that maximizes Ben Simmons. So less than his best.

The bench doesn't feel good either. Patty Mills is a bad fit next to Kyrie so is minutes limited behind him. And Mills is getting old. Mills is the only real guard on the bench. Then it is a bunch of forwards. Joe Harris is a high quality piece. Royce O'Neale is a dodgy fit as a reluctant shooter next to a reluctant shooter in Ben Simmons, non-shooters in Claxton and Dwight, and a mediocre shooter in Marcus Smart. Not a good fit next to a creative passer like Ben Simmons. TJ Warren is a major injury risk. Dwight is useful but little more.

BKN gets interesting when they go small with Simmons at the five. That lineup would be real tough to defend against. Maybe TJ Warren if he is up to it. More likely Joe Harris with Jaylen playing PF which makes BKN real small up front.

Overall, I just see a whole lot of issues. Issues which will drag the team back and make them less than the sum of their parts.

Edit: I missed G Williams on that bench. I always forget to check who listed as the 3rd stringer and look past those guys. My mistake. G Will is their best bench forward and best bench player overall. He goes a good ways to alleviating my concerns about that bench.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 09:10:10 PM by Who »

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2022, 08:31:28 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Claxton / Howard
Simmons / Warren / Grant
Smart / Harris
Kyrie / Mills

Contender? 

Nah. The East would have 3 contenders with Philly, Boston and Milwaukee. BKN would rate similar to MIA. Higher than CHI or TOR but not by much. Closer to the bottom playoff teams than the top playoff teams.

That team would have some serious chemistry problems. You got 3 stars who all think they are "the man" and none of them have the game to rise up and take control of the team. Kyrie has it on experience and accolades. Jaylen has it in terms of game. Neither guy makes their teammates better. Ben Simmons is the only one who can make his teammates better but he struggles to score and is in a dodgy situation.

The B.Simmons & N.Claxton partnership is problem. BKN need to find a stretch five to put alongside Ben Simmons to compensate for Ben's dodgy shooting. Then another non-shooter in Howard as backup center. And a mediocre shooter in Smart starting at guard. Not a good situation. Not a situation that maximizes Ben Simmons. So less than his best.

The bench doesn't feel good either. Patty Mills is a bad fit next to Kyrie so is minutes limited behind him. And Mills is getting old. Mills is the only real guard on the bench. Then it is a bunch of forwards. Joe Harris is a high quality piece. Royce O'Neale is a dodgy fit as a reluctant shooter next to a reluctant shooter in Ben Simmons, non-shooters in Claxton and Dwight, and a mediocre shooter in Marcus Smart. Not a good fit next to a creative passer like Ben Simmons. TJ Warren is a major injury risk. Dwight is useful but little more.

BKN gets interesting when they go small with Simmons at the five. That lineup would be real tough to defend against. Maybe TJ Warren if he is up to it. More likely Joe Harris with Jaylen playing PF which makes BKN real small up front.

Overall, I just see a whole lot of issues. Issues which will drag the team back and make them less than the sum of their parts.

Edit: I missed G Williams on that bench. I always forget to check who listed as the 3rd stringer and look past those guys. My mistake. G Will is their best bench forward and best bench player overall. He goes a good ways to alleviating my concerns about that bench.

Now if you could trade Marcus Smart for Myles Turner. That could make this group interesting.

C: Myles Turner
F: Ben Simmons
F: Joe Harris
G: Jaylen
G: Kyrie

That is a team with good balance. Claxton as a bench piece next to Mills and O'Neale. Maybe Warren if he can stay healthy.

Ben Simmons surrounded by shooters. Three strong defenders with Turner, Simmons and Jaylen. Two prolific scorers and three guys who can score 10-15ppg. Simmons maybe more than that on this team (with good balance / spacing).

Not sure it it a contender. It is close though.

Edit: Update this post too for missing G-Will. Man, just think about that lineup with G Will in there instead of Joe Harris next to Myles Turner, Ben Simmons and Jaylen Brown. That is a fierce defensive group next to Kyrie. I love that lineup. That team is dangerous.

I am not sure whether I would start Grant or keep Joe as the starter. I like Joe's offense. That call could go either way. And no matter what, Grant Williams will play a huge role on that team.

Is it a contender? Maybe.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 09:13:08 PM by Who »

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2022, 08:32:57 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
The talent is there so, yes as is they are contenders. If they moved KD for JB and pieces probably not. KD is the superstar that makes it so.

Take Brooklyn last year.

Subtract Kevin Durant, a rapidly fading James Harden, Andre Drummond and Seth Curry.

Add Jaylen Brown, Ben Simmons, Joe Harris, Marcus Smart, Grant Williams, Royce O'Neal, TJ Warren and to follow Roy's example, Dwight Howard. Claxton and Edwards will almost certainly improve.

So yeah, they aren't the favorites to win it all without Durant and Harden, but that's a ton of depth, tenacious defense and quite a bit of scoring. If Harris and Warren come back and have good years, they could be dangerous.

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2022, 08:46:20 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Take Brooklyn last year.

Subtract Kevin Durant, a rapidly fading James Harden, Andre Drummond and Seth Curry.

Add Jaylen Brown, Ben Simmons, Joe Harris, Marcus Smart, Grant Williams, Royce O'Neal, TJ Warren and to follow Roy's example, Dwight Howard. Claxton and Edwards will almost certainly improve.

So yeah, they aren't the favorites to win it all without Durant and Harden, but that's a ton of depth, tenacious defense and quite a bit of scoring. If Harris and Warren come back and have good years, they could be dangerous.
Sure they “could“ be good even dangerous. Yet top 10 players are how teams become great. Without that the chances of winning are slim. Do you see a top 10 player on that version of the Nets?

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2022, 08:50:50 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Ben Simmons being a healthy productive member of the Nets seems like a big assumption.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2022, 09:06:15 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell

Take Brooklyn last year.

Sure they “could“ be good even dangerous. Yet top 10 players are how teams become great. Without that the chances of winning are slim. Do you see a top 10 player on that version of the Nets?
Simmons and Irving are both crazy, but they are also better ball handlers and passers than anyone on the C's. Simmons runs in transition as well as anyone in the league. I could see Jaylen look like a top 10 guy in a situation like that.

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2022, 11:25:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Ben Simmons being a healthy productive member of the Nets seems like a big assumption.

Would anyone else not be surprised if simmons only played 100 or less more games in nba?

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2022, 11:37:14 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Take Brooklyn last year.

Simmons and Irving are both crazy, but they are also better ball handlers and passers than anyone on the C's. Simmons runs in transition as well as anyone in the league. I could see Jaylen look like a top 10 guy in a situation like that.

Last year the Nets had Kyrie and Simmons on the roster with KD. How did KD look as he got swept out of the playoffs?

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2022, 03:20:49 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
In a world where all 3 are not crazy people, sure. You can’t ever count out someone like KD. In reality, no. That team has the most drama filled cast of stars in the last few years combined. It was so bad, Harden just flat out left before even finishing the first run. Add Ben Simmons. They’re doomed. All they need are Markellle Fultz and Royce White for the trophy.

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2022, 03:31:18 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

Would anyone else not be surprised if simmons only played 100 or less more games in nba?

Not at all. He’s been in the league 6 years with 2 full DNP, and 4 years of decent production, but no visible improvement. He can’t shoot from anything beyond a layup, and his other skills are nowhere near where they need to be to compensate for that.

If he has a couple more miserable seasons with 25 or so games each, he may become an annual min contract Blake Griffin type.

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2022, 04:22:26 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Simmons & Kyrie together going to be a disaster is probably why Durant wants out

But if trade does goes down, I think it be Boston & Milwaukee as favorites then Philly, Miami, Toronto & Atlanta trying to knock off those 2
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2022, 07:10:38 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

Claxton / Howard
Simmons / Warren / Grant
Smart / Harris
Kyrie / Mills

Contender? 

Boston, meanwhile:

Timelord / Horford
Durant / Gallinari
Tatum / Thomas / Hauser
White / Curry
Brogdon / Pritchard

That Nets team can be good. Looks like a strong regular season team to me and I wouldn’t be surprised if they finished 2-4 or something.

They’ll run into trouble in the playoffs once the floor shrinks and the shaky shooting will come back to haunt them. Smart, Simmons and Claxton on the floor together? Nash as the coach?

Meanwhile that C’s team looks like a fave to win it all. A little light on the wing position but if they can get a vet min ringchaser, that’d put them over the top.
- LilRip