Author Topic: What about Ben Simmons?  (Read 4093 times)

Re: What about Ben Simmons?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2022, 12:41:24 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This guy is completely unreliable to the point where it out weighs his talent.    Passes on shot that could have advanced his team.   Now he is a professional patient, not player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo_LsStmPxg

Zero Heart

He does not care about winning

Does he even care about basketball.

Mental health issues, I wish him the best, but these can derail a guy.

Always an excuse waiting to happen

Big moment Coward

Chances are we have a different opinion on what constitutes low value for Simmons. White + Timelord + Theis gets it done, salary-wise. It would suck to lose Timelord, but he'd be a terrible fit next to Simmons on the offensive side of the ball. We'd have to trade him in a different deal anyway.

Simmons didn't play at all last year.  Timelord is way more valuable to us than not playing Ben in terms of being a defensive anchor.    He also cannot shot nor spread the floor.    He is a great defender, passer and driver with zero heart.  I would take Rob heart any day of week over, Simmons

He has been on two different franchises now, same problems.   He has the same problems at LSU in terms of not even making the NCAAs.   This is clearly a pattern not a problem.

He is a Klutch Sports guy too, which means he is not coming here.  So zero chance of this happening.

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2022, 01:49:32 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Mental health issues, I wish him the best, but these can derail a guy.

Always an excuse waiting to happen

Big moment Coward
i sense a contradiction.

i do not know what problem(s) simmons is wrestling with. if it is indeed mental health issues, then i wish the best and hope he makes the correct decisions based upon his needs, not the wishes of fans.

royce white could not fly in planes (or anything else.) he was very up front about it and raised excellent points about the nba and mental health.

but i agree with your points that the celtics should not bother with him. the celtics exist to play basketball....as a way to make money.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2022, 01:59:03 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Buy low, sell high. Simmons' price should be at an all-time low right now. Wouldn't be against it for the right price.

I wouldn’t trade timelord for simmons straight up at this point. In addition to all the other stuff, let’s not forget his back was still not ok after sitting out an entire season.

You can’t buy low. He makes $35M+ per year. He would cost the C’s significant pieces just to match salaries.
Chances are we have a different opinion on what constitutes low value for Simmons. White + Timelord + Theis gets it done, salary-wise. It would suck to lose Timelord, but he'd be a terrible fit next to Simmons on the offensive side of the ball. We'd have to trade him in a different deal anyway.

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2022, 04:04:06 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
i sense a contradiction.

i do not know what problem(s) simmons is wrestling with. if it is indeed mental health issues, then i wish the best and hope he makes the correct decisions based upon his needs, not the wishes of fans.

Yes, he should take it into account as if he is not mentally right it could come back to hurt him.  But fans also got to realize that he has the issues and they can be debilitating .   Mental health is a state of mind, everyone has been depressed from time to time.    Nothing to be ashamed of and it takes courage to admit it, he just isn't a brave person on the court and defers to others:

Simmons has said publicly — at his press conference — that he had experienced “dark times” ... which he preferred not to talk about. And Daryl Morey said on a podcast after the trade that he believed Simmons was dealing with debilitating mental health issues.

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/02/15/ben-simmons-mental-health-brooklyn-nets

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2022/02/15/ben-simmons-the-mental-health-has-nothing-to-do-with-just-the-trade/

https://www.netsdaily.com/2022/4/6/23012643/kevin-love-on-ben-simmons-and-mental-health-in-his-heart-in-his-head-hes-a-really-good-person

Avoid this guy like the plague.

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2022, 04:34:35 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
i sense a contradiction.

Yes, he should take it into account as if he is not mentally right it could come back to hurt him.  But fans also got to realize that he has the issues and they can be debilitating .   Mental health is a state of mind, everyone has been depressed from time to time.    Nothing to be ashamed of and it takes courage to admit it, he just isn't a brave person on the court and defers to others:

Simmons has said publicly — at his press conference — that he had experienced “dark times” ... which he preferred not to talk about. And Daryl Morey said on a podcast after the trade that he believed Simmons was dealing with debilitating mental health issues.

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/02/15/ben-simmons-mental-health-brooklyn-nets

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2022/02/15/ben-simmons-the-mental-health-has-nothing-to-do-with-just-the-trade/

https://www.netsdaily.com/2022/4/6/23012643/kevin-love-on-ben-simmons-and-mental-health-in-his-heart-in-his-head-hes-a-really-good-person

Avoid this guy like the plague.

I agree that this is not someone to trade for.  I do wish him well though. One thing I’d say differently- we all have experienced being down, bummed out, blue… but major depression (if that’s what Simmons is dealing with) really isn’t something most of us have dealt with.   Obviously many people with depression have productive lives but it’s a battle even once a person understands their illness, has a strong support system, and has effective methodologies for treatment. 

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2022, 04:38:24 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
There are jobs you can do with major depression - the structure can even be helpful. Playing with star expectations in the NBA is not likely to be on that list. There are guys who say the court is an escape, a refuge; doesn’t seem that way for Simmons.

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2022, 04:39:27 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
There are jobs you can do with major depression - the structure can even be helpful. Playing with star expectations in the NBA is not likely to be on that list. There are guys who say the court is an escape, a refuge; doesn’t seem that way for Simmons.

What are some of those jobs?...Asking for a friend...

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2022, 05:14:04 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I hope he gets better both mentally and physically .
I dont want him on this team though.

The Nets really messed that trade up though. Harden could have gotten them into a much better situation.

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2022, 01:12:37 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121
No, no, veryyyyy no. 

There was a time when I would have very much entertained this - back when I thought his lack of a jumper and 'soft' persona were the only concerns. 

But after everything that went on on Philly and now already going on in Brooklyn I have every reason to believe Simmons is a near Kyrie-tier headcase, and I want nothing to do with that.  Especially on THAT contract.

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2022, 04:47:55 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Wait isn't there a designated rookie extension thing that prevents Tatum and Simmons from being on the same team

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2022, 04:52:04 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen

What are some of those jobs?...Asking for a friend...

Same, man, same ...

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2022, 09:26:47 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Wait isn't there a designated rookie extension thing that prevents Tatum and Simmons from being on the same team

No, you can have 2 players on designated rookie extensions if you signed one of them. So it prevents the Nets from acquiring someone like Donovan Mitchell, but not us.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2022, 09:32:34 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't love the idea of Simmons playing next to Timelord, particularly if Smart is starting.  That's one hell of a defensive lineup, and there would be some fantastic passing, but the shooting would be pretty terrible.  Mix that with the volatility of Simmons, and it's a tough sell.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2022, 06:56:51 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen

No, you can have 2 players on designated rookie extensions if you signed one of them. So it prevents the Nets from acquiring someone like Donovan Mitchell, but not us.

Ah, thanks

I'd have to think about this. Depends what they want...even if we could trade Al for Ben (not sure) there's be bad juju

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2022, 08:01:31 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I’d rather take Kyrie back than Simmons, and that isn’t meant as a compliment to Kyrie.