Author Topic: Tell your child birth stories  (Read 19730 times)

Tell your child birth stories
« on: May 19, 2022, 01:45:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Given Derrick White is having a baby, I thought it might be cool to tell some of our child birth stories. So here is one of mine.

1st child: my wife was almost two weeks late and could go at anytime. If she didn't in the next three days they were going to induce her.

So I was working night shift and got called at 5:00AM because the day shift manager was going to be out so got up, went to work and was there until 12:30AM. Went home, took a shower and went to bed. A few minutes later my wife's contractions start. Off to the hospital.

I was with my wife there until she gave birth 25 hours later at 3:13AM. My son Nicholas came into the world. We were at Beth Israel Hospital on an upper floor an I took my son to the window to see Fenway Park. To this day, my son is a bigger Sox fan than I am a Celtic fan.

During the child birth my wife was connected to a machine that measured the contractions and the machine registered them before my wife felt them. So I would be like "Oh boy here comes a big one!" After doing that two times I got roundly cuffed upside the head by my very annoyed wife. Boy what an idiot I was. Lol.

Once mommy and baby were fine and napping, I drove home at 6:00AM. I grabbed something quick to eat, showered and headed off to bed.

Ring. Telephone. My mother-in-law wants a ride to the hospital ASAP.

Ring. Telephone. My grandmother wants a ride to the hospital.

Ring. Telephone. My mom wants to congratulate me and wants to know when I am heading to the hospital.

So, no sleep still, I go get the ladies and off to the hospital we go.

We leave at 4:00 PM. I get home and my son's future godfather is waiting on my steps with a bottle of Southern Comfort. He leaves at 11:00PM and I finally get to go get some sleep 72 hours later.

It would be the last good sleep I would have for the next 9 months. The day after that next good sleep, my wife told me she was pregnant again.

I asked: "How the hell did that happen?!?!"

She cuffed me upside the head once again.

So what child birth stories do you have.

TPs for every story
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 02:55:05 PM by nickagneta »

Re: Tell your child birth stories
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 01:59:19 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
For my first child, we were in the process of buying a home and had been delaying on signing off for one issue or the other. While my wife is having contractions, we get a call saying they're ready to go that day. I had to tell them we had to wait since wife was giving birth. 5 days later and the first place outside of the hospital and our (rental) home is a law office signing papers.

For my wife, I has accepted a new job that was much closer to home and was ready to begin on Monday. On Sunday evening wife decides to give birth. Had to call my brand new job to say I couldn't come in.

Both of them I was physically there and saw things that one cannot unsee but at the same time, the best feeling to be there for wifey and to welcome the newest addition to the family.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 02:45:40 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'd love to tell my story, but I have no memory of being born. ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 02:46:46 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Our first was a bit of a production.  We received a diagnosis of intrauterine growth restriction early on in my wife's pregnancy, so we had to do weekly ultrasounds quite early.  At one of those, the doctor looked pretty worried.  My wife was pretty oblivious, but I started looking at the monitors, and noticed a fall off in the growth chart.  When the doc left the room, I told my wife that she was going to be induced that day.  She was skeptical.  Three minutes later, the doc comes back.  Needs us to immediately head to the hospital.  Recommends an ambulance, but we decline.  He says fine, but there's no time to even stop by our house (12 minutes away, if you hit every light) to get the labor bag.

So, that was scary.  But, don't you worry:  even though there was no time to get the overnight bag, there was plenty of time to make us fill out paperwork before checking in my wife.  Maybe we should have taken the ambulance after all.

It turned out to not be a giant deal.  Our daughter wasn't born until the next day, after around 16 hours of labor.  She was around 4.5 pounds, so she was pretty wee. 

Our son, on the other hand, was a result of natural labor.  I had just sat down at a settlement conference and I got the call.  My wife's water broke at JC Penny.  I rushed home, picked her up, and after about 7 hours our son was born.  We had a brief scare with preclampsia (?) with buzzers going off, but that was short lived.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 02:46:55 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
I hope one day AL will share his story of seeing Giannis coming into the world.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 04:44:11 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
It was my bowling league championship and I didn’t want to let my team down so I skipped it.  I heard it went pretty smoothly.
Yup

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 06:09:43 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 618
1st: during 6.5ish month visit to Dr, she discovers that my wife is already dilated. Worried about an early birth so they put her on bed rest and a medication that stops contractions. Basically my wife isnt supposed to do anything but lay on couch. She works on her dissertation while I do...all the chores. They take her off the medication at a little after 8 months. Boom! A day later contractions start and off to the hospital. We are admitted, being monitored every now and then but after a few hours later I have to get nurse cause I think (more accurately, my wife thinks) baby is on its way. They're like "nah too soon". But I get them to check on wife and they're like "call the doctor!" Maybe an hour later (actually have no idea, total whirlwind) son is born, a little small but healthy on April 1st. No one believed us when we told them the news.

But wait, thats not the crazy one....

2nd: My wife wants a natural child birth (1st one was epidural free) but also wants it at home. I push back. Creeped out by...the mess. We compromise on mid-wife that does births at birthing center, so a bit less clinical than the hospital. However, its close to an hour away. All is going well. Wife's sister visiting, its the exact day of due date.  I'm working evenings. Get outta work at 10pm and a buddy wants me to play badminton. I think about it...but say no. I get home, my wife is all giddy. They just made cookies and have been monitoring contractions. I look at their notes and I say "uh...whoa...we should get ready to go to the center". My wife wants to take a shower 1st. DO NOT LET UR WIFE TAKE A SHOWER IF SHE IS HAVING CONTRACTIONS, but of course i let her. I grab the to go bag and call the mid-wife to tell her we are on our way. Minutes later my wife starts calling for me. She is crowning! I can see the top of babies head! I deliver the baby before the clock strikes midnight, with sister-in-law on phone with mid-wife with some helpful play by play and while dog watches from bathroom door. Mid-wife shows up 30mins later to help...clean up the mess.

Shortly after I got a vasectomy.

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 06:15:21 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
Unfortunately I can't, still a child myself!  :P  :laugh:

But these are awesome to read! Hope more folks chime in
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 06:39:20 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
First off — Mobilija… wow!

To Nick - some similarities… also a couple weeks late. Water broke but did not go into labor.  The doctor sent  us home and said if she doesn’t  spontaneously go into tonight they’ll induce in the AM. So after a sleepless night and no labor we went in early the next morning knowing she’d be induced.  12 hours later baby was born. Funny thing - my wife was hooked up to the same machine Nick described and I made the same mistake of saying “here it comes” (the next contraction) a couple times.  Pretty sure if my wife had a gun she would have shot me.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 07:22:06 PM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2022, 06:59:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
1st: during 6.5ish month visit to Dr, she discovers that my wife is already dilated. Worried about an early birth so they put her on bed rest and a medication that stops contractions. Basically my wife isnt supposed to do anything but lay on couch. She works on her dissertation while I do...all the chores. They take her off the medication at a little after 8 months. Boom! A day later contractions start and off to the hospital. We are admitted, being monitored every now and then but after a few hours later I have to get nurse cause I think (more accurately, my wife thinks) baby is on its way. They're like "nah too soon". But I get them to check on wife and they're like "call the doctor!" Maybe an hour later (actually have no idea, total whirlwind) son is born, a little small but healthy on April 1st. No one believed us when we told them the news.

But wait, thats not the crazy one....

2nd: My wife wants a natural child birth (1st one was epidural free) but also wants it at home. I push back. Creeped out by...the mess. We compromise on mid-wife that does births at birthing center, so a bit less clinical than the hospital. However, its close to an hour away. All is going well. Wife's sister visiting, its the exact day of due date.  I'm working evenings. Get outta work at 10pm and a buddy wants me to play badminton. I think about it...but say no. I get home, my wife is all giddy. They just made cookies and have been monitoring contractions. I look at their notes and I say "uh...whoa...we should get ready to go to the center". My wife wants to take a shower 1st. DO NOT LET UR WIFE TAKE A SHOWER IF SHE IS HAVING CONTRACTIONS, but of course i let her. I grab the to go bag and call the mid-wife to tell her we are on our way. Minutes later my wife starts calling for me. She is crowning! I can see the top of babies head! I deliver the baby before the clock strikes midnight, with sister-in-law on phone with mid-wife with some helpful play by play and while dog watches from bathroom door. Mid-wife shows up 30mins later to help...clean up the mess.

Shortly after I got a vasectomy.
LOL

Great stories
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)