Author Topic: Better Call Saul (TV Show)  (Read 11615 times)

Re: Better Call Saul (TV Show)
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2022, 06:55:51 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Well, that Mid-season finale was something...

My goodness. It shocked me. Brilliant writing.
Can't wait for the rest of this series.

One of the most gut wrenching things I’ve ever seen on screen. This was to Better Call Saul what “Ozymandias” was to Breaking Bad.

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2022, 07:00:59 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
Anyone else pumped up for the mid season premier tonight?

Unfortunately, it seems the episode has been spoiled for a large chunk of the fan base after fans posted spoilers from the airing of the episode which took place at the Tribeca film festival three weeks ago.

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2022, 04:20:14 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I’d say there’s about one more episode to go before Better Call Saul becomes a sequel to Breaking Bad

The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2022, 07:13:07 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Well, that Mid-season finale was something...

My goodness. It shocked me. Brilliant writing.
Can't wait for the rest of this series.

One of the most gut wrenching things I’ve ever seen on screen. This was to Better Call Saul what “Ozymandias” was to Breaking Bad.

Yeah, it was deeply disturbing on so many levels. Just came out of left field and puts the preceding storyline in such a different light. Great writing.

"Point and Shoot" delivered as well. I like how Mike and Gus are humanized and mortalized by their mistakes. One user on reddit rightly  commented on how it kinda makes you hate Heisenberg a little bit.

So much blood, sweat, and tears went into everything Gus and Mike built and Walter just tears it all down because of a mid-life crisis

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2022, 07:56:16 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's over.  Great series.  When I heard this show was originally coming out, I thought it would be a goofy, watchable court-based dramedy. 

It was a lot deeper than that, and is the extremely rare spinoff that is in the same excellent class as the original.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2022, 12:41:46 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Never watched it but so many raved about it, watched Year 1, Edisode 1 and found it completely confusing

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2022, 01:20:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Never watched it but so many raved about it, watched Year 1, Edisode 1 and found it completely confusing

Did you watch Breaking Bad?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2022, 05:21:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The show is good but it is over rated.   Odenkirk was excellent in both shows.

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2022, 05:48:45 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
They really stuck the landing on the ending. My favorite series finale ever. This show is the first show I've ever watched live every week from the pilot to the finale, so it definitely holds a special place in my heart. The golden age of TV is now over, folks.

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2022, 06:20:36 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Have never watched BCS, but I just found out that a recent episode has a scene featuring an acoustic version of “Tapioca Tundra” by my favorite band, the Monkees (specifically, written by Michael Nesmith). And there was a scene in an episode of BB that featured “Goin' Down” by the Monkees. Turns out one of the guys involved with the shows, producer Thomas Schnauz, is a HUGE Monkees fan.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2022, 08:23:02 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
To Roy...Never wayched Breaking Bad

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2022, 10:20:59 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
They really stuck the landing on the ending. My favorite series finale ever. This show is the first show I've ever watched live every week from the pilot to the finale, so it definitely holds a special place in my heart. The golden age of TV is now over, folks.
I was confused by the ending.  Is it fair game for you to explain it to me (why Saul made the choice he did), without it being a spoiler to others?

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2022, 08:38:27 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I was confused by the ending.  Is it fair game for you to explain it to me (why Saul made the choice he did), without it being a spoiler to others?

*SPOILERS* 

Saul is an embodiment of pure selfishness and greed.  He's always working an angle.  His direct downfall is because he decided to rip off a man dying of cancer, when even other criminals thought that was a scam too sleazy.  His humanity was dead.  While that's most stark in the final episodes, we've seen him manipulate others throughout most of the series.  He's constantly looking for revenge on Howard, he shows no real remorse when his brother dies, etc.  And of course, there's the entire Breaking Bad series, where he's a soulless criminal.

So, he uses all of his selfish talent to get himself a sweetheart of a deal.  7 years in a country club federal prison.  And then he hears that Kim has confessed, and that she's taking the fall.  Perhaps not criminally, but probably civilly and definitely reputationally.

At that moment, Saul changes.  Instead of being selfish, he thinks to Kim.  It's not 100% clear if his primary motivation is simply inspiration from Kim -- this good, ethical woman he loves faced the consequences, and he should do the same -- or whether he's trying to shield her from some of the fallout by taking the blame himself.  But, symbolically, it's sign of a change.  "Saul" becomes "Jimmy" again, as he makes clear by asking to be called Jimmy during his confession.  Despite grave personal consequences, he's living his life with integrity for once.  He does this not just by owning up to his role with Walter White, but also by admitting to his role in his brother's death and the breakdown of that relationship.

The ending is a reflection on a lot of things.  The "time machine" conversation they keep coming back to is the theme of the episode.  At first, talking to Mike, he'd use a time machine to become a billionaire.  Later, Walter explains that the time machine is really about addressing regrets.  Through that lens, we look at the entire life of Jimmy.  There are points in time where his path could have potentially been changed.  Perhaps if his brother had accepted him more.  Perhaps if he had had the confidence to move out from under that brother's shadow.  Perhaps if he had followed Kim's example, rather than living his scheming life pretty much unchanged.  Maybe if he'd reformed after Howard's death.  All of those are potentially regrets, a point when Jimmy could have been redeemed.  He's given a final opportunity for redemption, and he finally makes the right moral choice.  And thus, despite facing an 87 year prison sentence in a harsh prison environment, he has a "happy" ending, because he's redeemed.  (Perhaps there's a biblical reference here, too; Saul of Tarsus has his own redemption story in the Bible, going from a persecutor of Christians to an apostle of Jesus.)

And, with redemption comes winning back Kim's respect.  Their love was the one pure feeling that Jimmy had ever had.  He loses his freedom, but reconciling with Kim is worth all of that.

*SPOILERS*

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2022, 11:31:16 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375

*SPOILERS* 

Saul is an embodiment of pure selfishness and greed.  He's always working an angle.  His direct downfall is because he decided to rip off a man dying of cancer, when even other criminals thought that was a scam too sleazy.  His humanity was dead.  While that's most stark in the final episodes, we've seen him manipulate others throughout most of the series.  He's constantly looking for revenge on Howard, he shows no real remorse when his brother dies, etc.  And of course, there's the entire Breaking Bad series, where he's a soulless criminal.

So, he uses all of his selfish talent to get himself a sweetheart of a deal.  7 years in a country club federal prison.  And then he hears that Kim has confessed, and that she's taking the fall.  Perhaps not criminally, but probably civilly and definitely reputationally.

At that moment, Saul changes.  Instead of being selfish, he thinks to Kim.  It's not 100% clear if his primary motivation is simply inspiration from Kim -- this good, ethical woman he loves faced the consequences, and he should do the same -- or whether he's trying to shield her from some of the fallout by taking the blame himself.  But, symbolically, it's sign of a change.  "Saul" becomes "Jimmy" again, as he makes clear by asking to be called Jimmy during his confession.  Despite grave personal consequences, he's living his life with integrity for once.  He does this not just by owning up to his role with Walter White, but also by admitting to his role in his brother's death and the breakdown of that relationship.

The ending is a reflection on a lot of things.  The "time machine" conversation they keep coming back to is the theme of the episode.  At first, talking to Mike, he'd use a time machine to become a billionaire.  Later, Walter explains that the time machine is really about addressing regrets.  Through that lens, we look at the entire life of Jimmy.  There are points in time where his path could have potentially been changed.  Perhaps if his brother had accepted him more.  Perhaps if he had had the confidence to move out from under that brother's shadow.  Perhaps if he had followed Kim's example, rather than living his scheming life pretty much unchanged.  Maybe if he'd reformed after Howard's death.  All of those are potentially regrets, a point when Jimmy could have been redeemed.  He's given a final opportunity for redemption, and he finally makes the right moral choice.  And thus, despite facing an 87 year prison sentence in a harsh prison environment, he has a "happy" ending, because he's redeemed.  (Perhaps there's a biblical reference here, too; Saul of Tarsus has his own redemption story in the Bible, going from a persecutor of Christians to an apostle of Jesus.)

And, with redemption comes winning back Kim's respect.  Their love was the one pure feeling that Jimmy had ever had.  He loses his freedom, but reconciling with Kim is worth all of that.

*SPOILERS*
Thank you Roy. TP. I guess I’m soulless because I was disappointed with his about face. 😂

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2022, 11:34:08 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

*SPOILERS* 

*SPOILERS*
Thank you Roy. TP. I guess I’m soulless because I was disappointed with his about face. 😂

Haha.  I was a little disappointed, too.  One man's redemption is another man's "totally out of character".

As a lawyer, there's a 100% chance that Saul would have taken the deal.  He could have still recanted after he was sentenced, clearing Kim's name and his conscious, lol.