Author Topic: Red Sox 2022  (Read 37984 times)

Re: Red Sox 2022
« Reply #135 on: August 07, 2022, 08:17:07 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
We're on to football season
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #136 on: August 09, 2022, 11:01:32 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In the "you can't make this stuff up" department, Chris Sale broke his wrist in a bicycle accident.  He'll miss the rest of the season due to surgery.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #137 on: August 09, 2022, 11:06:50 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
"The wheels on the bus are coming off...coming off...coming off"

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #138 on: August 09, 2022, 11:34:41 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
In the "you can't make this stuff up" department, Chris Sale broke his wrist in a bicycle accident.  He'll miss the rest of the season due to surgery.
He truly is a performance art tribute to himself.

The Sox have paid around $90,000,000 for 47 innings of pitching over the past 3 years. Just incredible. Sale gets hurt while being hurt.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 11:41:08 AM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #139 on: August 09, 2022, 11:39:15 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

I can't imagine how disheartening it must be to sign that guy's paychecks!

I guess I could take solace in being a gazillionairre
Yup

« Reply #140 on: August 09, 2022, 11:50:14 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

What the crap? Why's he even ON a bicycle?

I'm tired of the constant injuries with Sale. What a wasted contract.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #141 on: August 09, 2022, 01:00:15 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376

The Sox have paid around $90,000,000 for 47 innings of pitching over the past 3 years. Just incredible. Sale gets hurt while being hurt.
What an absolutely idiotic signing at the time. He was damaged goods in 2018 and still had a year left on his contract. No reason whatsoever that they needed to extend him. And to think that cost them Mookie. Dombrowski was an idiot.

« Reply #142 on: August 09, 2022, 02:19:33 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I had heard that Sale had wrist surgery but I hadn't heard the Bicycle accident part.  Wow.  When they signed the extension, the Sox probably expected there would be elbow surgery at some point and a season missed but to now have missed essentially 2 full seasons, wow.

And you wonder why the Sox are reluctant to sign big long term contracts.  Pitcher are very different than position players but this is not going to help the Sox feel good about signing Bogaerts or Devers to long term super deals.

« Reply #143 on: August 09, 2022, 02:41:01 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I had heard that Sale had wrist surgery but I hadn't heard the Bicycle accident part.  Wow.  When they signed the extension, the Sox probably expected there would be elbow surgery at some point and a season missed but to now have missed essentially 2 full seasons, wow.

And you wonder why the Sox are reluctant to sign big long term contracts.  Pitcher are very different than position players but this is not going to help the Sox feel good about signing Bogaerts or Devers to long term super deals.

Devers, IMO, is young enough that I'd feel comfortable giving him a long-term deal.

The problem with Sale in particular, and a lot of big-money deals in general, is that teams are giving them these huge deals when they're near or at (or even past) age 30.

In Sale's case, he was just about 30 when Boston gave him his extension—the guy's always been built like a twig, and has always been a hard thrower, so durability should've been a question on management's mind (I know, hindsight is 20-20, but professional GMs get paid, in part, to consider these issues). In Sale's case, there was still one more season on his prior deal, so management could've waited a year to see if Sale held up and continued to perform well—which he didn't, going 6-11 with a 4.40 ERA in 2019.

In the case of Bogaerts, I want him to stay in Boston, but he turns 30 on October 1, and I'm not sure I want the team to give him a big-money 5-year deal, given that he's likely to decline significantly before that contract is up.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #144 on: August 26, 2022, 09:28:18 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I finally figured out how to get our win loss when we start a rookie pitcher.  Our rookie starters include Bello, Crawford, Winckowski, and Seabold.  The Sox are 11-20 in games started by this group (not as bad as I thought).  They are 49-45 in games not started by a rookie.

This is going to go down as a train wreck season for sure.  I feel the pitching was by far the biggest issue.  Way too many starts by AAA pitchers.  But many of the bats have disappointed also.

« Reply #145 on: August 26, 2022, 11:35:37 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Devers, IMO, is young enough that I'd feel comfortable giving him a long-term deal.

The problem with Sale in particular, and a lot of big-money deals in general, is that teams are giving them these huge deals when they're near or at (or even past) age 30.

In Sale's case, he was just about 30 when Boston gave him his extension—the guy's always been built like a twig, and has always been a hard thrower, so durability should've been a question on management's mind (I know, hindsight is 20-20, but professional GMs get paid, in part, to consider these issues). In Sale's case, there was still one more season on his prior deal, so management could've waited a year to see if Sale held up and continued to perform well—which he didn't, going 6-11 with a 4.40 ERA in 2019.

In the case of Bogaerts, I want him to stay in Boston, but he turns 30 on October 1, and I'm not sure I want the team to give him a big-money 5-year deal, given that he's likely to decline significantly before that contract is up.

I’m ok with them letting bogarts leave at this point as long as they actually spend the money on someone else. He is just an average defensive player and seems to have lost all his power. I will be interested in what other teams offer him.

« Reply #146 on: August 26, 2022, 11:42:36 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I’m ok with them letting bogarts leave at this point as long as they actually spend the money on someone else. He is just an average defensive player and seems to have lost all his power. I will be interested in what other teams offer him.

Supposedly, Bogey has a shoulder problem from a collision with Verdugo earlier in the season that has sapped his power, and shouldn’t be a long term problem. If that’s indeed true, I’d love to have him back.

« Reply #147 on: August 26, 2022, 12:28:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I finally figured out how to get our win loss when we start a rookie pitcher.  Our rookie starters include Bello, Crawford, Winckowski, and Seabold.  The Sox are 11-20 in games started by this group (not as bad as I thought).  They are 49-45 in games not started by a rookie.

This is going to go down as a train wreck season for sure.  I feel the pitching was by far the biggest issue.  Way too many starts by AAA pitchers.  But many of the bats have disappointed also.

Yeah, the pitching has been bad.  But, imagine if our team had Mookie and Freddie Freeman? 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #148 on: August 26, 2022, 01:39:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Kyle Schwarber wasn't brought back because he wasn't experienced at first base. Dude leads the NL with 35 HRs and 75 RBIs.

« Reply #149 on: August 26, 2022, 01:54:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Kyle Schwarber wasn't brought back because he wasn't experienced at first base. Dude leads the NL with 35 HRs and 75 RBIs.

Yeah.  That one was ridiculously stupid, too.

There's a realistic alternative universe where the owners use their money-making machine to give us:

1.  Mookie (RF)
2.  Story (2B)
3.  Freeman (1B)
4.  Devers (3B)
5.  Schwarber (LF)
6.  Martinez (DH)
7.  Boegarts (SS)
8.  Vazquez (C)
9.  Kike (CF)

That lineup might even make Sale, Eovaldi, Pivetta, Wacha, Paxton and Hill tolerable, at least if healthy.