Author Topic: Red Sox 2022  (Read 38108 times)

Re: Red Sox 2022
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2022, 02:20:01 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
The moves downgraded the team in the near-term.

This may or may not be true.  Vazquez is a career 0.262 hitter. 0.700 slugging, pretty average.  His defense is solid but his arm seems to have declined some.  Great citizen no doubt.  Just as a pure fan, I am sad to see him go.  Replacing him with a platoon of McGuire, Plawecki, and maybe some play from AAA players will probably end up with somewhat less offense in the near term but how much?  Vazquez has 83 hits through 100+ games.  So do we end up with 40 hits from the catcher position instead of 50?  And maybe we are able to throw out a few more runners with McGuire's higher throw out percentage.  And Pham is probably going to get those 10 hits over Jackie Bradley if he is in the outfield rotation.

I don't see these moves as resulting in a measurable downgrade.  It is certainly not an upgrade in any way though so if you want to criticize that, it is certainly fair.  The strategy seems to to make minor moves that help more in the future but don't really hurt the current team.  They will probably do a few more moves so let's see.  Most fans are probably not going to be satisfied with that.  I feel indifferent.  Without getting our pitchers back healthy, there is no trade that is going to change our trajectory for this season all that much.

« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2022, 03:10:00 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Hosmer coming in to play first.  This is a big upgrade compared to what they've been trotting out there.

I wonder if Chaim is actually trying to be a buyer?  They're 3 1/2 games out of a wildcard with Sale, Devers, and Story hurt.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2022, 04:08:57 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Hosmer coming in to play first.  This is a big upgrade compared to what they've been trotting out there.

I wonder if Chaim is actually trying to be a buyer?  They're 3 1/2 games out of a wildcard with Sale, Devers, and Story hurt.

Wow, OK, left handed hitting first basement, that is an upgrade.  Not sure who we are sending out.

he Red Sox aren’t on Hosmer’s no-trade list, tweets Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, so that won’t stand in the way. The Padres are set to pay the majority of the money owed to Hosmer as part of the deal — roughly $46MM through the end of the 2025 season.

« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2022, 04:41:02 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Wow, OK, left handed hitting first basement, that is an upgrade.  Not sure who we are sending out.

he Red Sox aren’t on Hosmer’s no-trade list, tweets Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, so that won’t stand in the way. The Padres are set to pay the majority of the money owed to Hosmer as part of the deal — roughly $46MM through the end of the 2025 season.

Hosmer is garbage, but he’s sadly an upgrade on what the Sox have.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2022, 04:54:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I know Bloom built I heck of a team in Tampa, but I have pretty much hated everything he has done here in Boston.

« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2022, 04:56:23 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Is this a case of bad timing? Hosmer is a nice pickup, and became available because if the Soto trade. However, this nice pickup kind of offsets the loss of Vasquez. In other words, what was the point of trading Vasquez? Was the Hosmer trade only made because the Padres ate most of the money left on his contract?

« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2022, 04:58:33 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Hey, look on the bright side, at least he hasn't gotten caught masturbating in public.

Seriously though, I don't know how you can look at this as anything but a win for the Red Sox.  He is solidly average for his position which is fine for what we need at first base.  Add Hosmer to our healthy infield and we have to be up there with any infield in the league in terms of offense.  I think all 4 have been all stars at some point in their careers.

It has not been reported yet what we are giving up but I am guessing it isn't that much and SD is paying most of his salary.  What is not to like here?

« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2022, 05:00:19 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I know Bloom built I heck of a team in Tampa, but I have pretty much hated everything he has done here in Boston.

Yeah, we’re three years into a bridge to nowhere. 

The Sox are the third most valuable franchise in MLB, but we’re operated like we’re the Mariners.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2022, 05:03:10 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Is this a case of bad timing? Hosmer is a nice pickup, and became available because if the Soto trade. However, this nice pickup kind of offsets the loss of Vasquez. In other words, what was the point of trading Vasquez? Was the Hosmer trade only made because the Padres ate most of the money left on his contract?

Vazquez becomes a UFA at the end of the season.  We were likely to lose him for nothing if we weren't willing to overpay.  We have control of Hosmer for 3 more seasons with SD paying him.  Plus we get 2 prospects out of Houston.

I think net net, this is a good result.  Not home run, maybe not even a single, maybe just an out that advances the runners.  I am not defending, in fact I am rather indifferent, but I am not critical either.

« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2022, 05:06:03 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

The Sox are the third most valuable franchise in MLB, but we’re operated like we’re the Mariners.

We were in the ALCS last season, that is pretty good for a team operated like Seattle.  We were actually playing very well this season until all our pitchers got hurt.  How many starts did we have in July by AAA pictures?  If that continues, the bridge isn't going anywhere no matter what we do at the deadline.

« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2022, 05:09:19 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

We were in the ALCS last season, that is pretty good for a team operated like Seattle.  We were actually playing very well this season until all our pitchers got hurt.  How many starts did we have in July by AAA pictures?  If that continues, the bridge isn't going anywhere no matter what we do at the deadline.

It’s not the deadline.  It’s Bloom’s entire tenure.

« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2022, 05:29:54 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I don't think he's garbage. He's not an all-star by any stretch, but he's solid, if unspectacular. His WAR this season is 1.3, and the collective WAR of Sox first baseman this year is -.7, so that's an overall upgrade of 2 WAR, which is pretty good.

I do agree with those who are confused by the Sox acquiring Hosmer after ditching Vazquez—that is a bit odd. Then again, they got two prospects out of the Vazquez deal, plus he might re-sign with Boston this offseason.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2022, 06:44:08 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
The Padres are reportedly paying the entirety of Hosmer’s salary except for the MLB minimum. 

In other words, they paid $44 million and sent two prospects for Jay Groome. 

« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2022, 07:03:06 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The Padres are reportedly paying the entirety of Hosmer’s salary except for the MLB minimum. 

In other words, they paid $44 million and sent two prospects for Jay Groome.

I guess they were desperate to dump Hosmer.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2022, 10:52:47 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
I don't get it. What is the purpose of acquiring Pham? I get the Hosmer move, he's basically free, and I kind of get the Vasquez move for saving money, but what's the benefit of getting Pham?