Author Topic: Where would Madar and Begarin go in this year's draft?  (Read 5584 times)

Where would Madar and Begarin go in this year's draft?
« on: February 15, 2022, 08:50:25 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I've read a few statements lately suggesting that Madar and Begarin are roughly equal to first round draft picks that will eventually be coming over. 

Here's how they're each performing:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/international/players/yam-madar-1.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/international/players/juhann-begarin-1.html

It's impossible to determine a draft prospect by just stats in international competition, but that's what we have so far. 

Are these guys viewed as good prospects?  Would they be given a first-round grade?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Where would Madar and Begarin go in this year's draft?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 08:57:17 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I've read a few statements lately suggesting that Madar and Begarin are roughly equal to first round draft picks that will eventually be coming over. 

https://www.basketball-reference.com/international/players/juhann-begarin-1.html

It's impossible to determine a draft prospect by just stats in international competition, but that's what we have so far. 

Are these guys viewed as good prospects?  Would they be given a first-round grade?

I am just going by what I saw in summer league.  I felt that both were probably back end of the first round caliber.  That is totally unscientific though, just my impression.  It is very hard to base it on stats in Europe or other international leagues.  Team are more comfortable drafting college players in general.  There is more of a baseline for comparison.  It is understandable.

Begarin in particular looked very athletic if raw.  Lot of potential there I felt.  More so than Madar at that point in time.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 09:09:08 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Prior to the draft last year, Begarin was someone who Givony of DraftExpress/ESPN thought would be a first rounder (he said top 20) if he waited until 2022, so that’s where that line of reasoning comes from.  Because he’s no longer a potential draftee, scouting reports on him have dried up so I have no idea if he’s still on that development track.  My guess is he isn’t that far off, as he’s jumped a level in competition with similar levels of productivity.

Madar had a huge leap last year, but has generally struggled moving up to new competition this year.  His shooting has carried over, however, so that’s good. I don’t think he’d be a first, but he’s probably still draftable.

I would be shocked if the C’s don’t bring over Begarin next season unless they trade him.  I think Madar will depend on his buyout and what the C’s do with their other second.  I think the Celtics will have two second-round rookies because it helps avoid the tax/reduce tax bill relative to other minimum salary players.

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 09:12:31 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Madar undrafted, his summer league did not help, this season has not helped

Begarin 2nd round.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 09:55:17 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
If you forget about summer league and just look compare them to other Euro prospects I would rank them both as mid seconds.

Begarin fits the profile of the perfect 2nd round gamble. As a wing with a great athletic profile and length he plays a role that is very coveted in the NBA and that really helps his value. However he needs to shoot the 3 better and its very disappointing to see him statistically digress as a shooter.

Madar I would projected as a backup pg, his shooting this season gives me hope that he can be a solid 3&D PG who can play strong point of attack D and hit open 3s.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 10:04:00 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Prior to the draft last year, Begarin was someone who Givony of DraftExpress/ESPN thought would be a first rounder (he said top 20) if he waited until 2022, so that’s where that line of reasoning comes from.  Because he’s no longer a potential draftee, scouting reports on him have dried up so I have no idea if he’s still on that development track.  My guess is he isn’t that far off, as he’s jumped a level in competition with similar levels of productivity.

Madar had a huge leap last year, but has generally struggled moving up to new competition this year.  His shooting has carried over, however, so that’s good. I don’t think he’d be a first, but he’s probably still draftable.

I would be shocked if the C’s don’t bring over Begarin next season unless they trade him.  I think Madar will depend on his buyout and what the C’s do with their other second.  I think the Celtics will have two second-round rookies because it helps avoid the tax/reduce tax bill relative to other minimum salary players.

Begarin is so young I suspect the Cs leave him in europe another season and hope he shot starts turning around.

I do agree picking up another 2nd round pick makes sense for its low cost and future cost control. I pointed this out in another thread the 2021 draft has already produced a handful of productive players and the 2022 (using Tankathons mock) has some nice later 2nd options that I like ( Champagnie, T Williams, Hall, Tshiebwe) 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2022, 10:21:48 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Probably end of 2nd round
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2022, 10:23:33 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Begarin is so young I suspect the Cs leave him in europe another season and hope he shot starts turning around.

I do agree picking up another 2nd round pick makes sense for its low cost and future cost control. I pointed this out in another thread the 2021 draft has already produced a handful of productive players and the 2022 (using Tankathons mock) has some nice later 2nd options that I like ( Champagnie, T Williams, Hall, Tshiebwe)

I don't think it too likely the C's add a 2nd on draft night.  Maybe they can convince someone that Nesmith is worth a second, but they've used up most of the cash they're allowed to send out in deals.  Looking at the C's depth chart for next year, they don't need a 2nd rounder who can come in immediately, so having Begarin develop in Maine for a season would be fine while he gets acclimated to the US.  The Celtics still have their first and a probable high second in 2023 as well, and Stevens isn't likely to want to give Udoka more than two rookies at a time based on his own experiences, so it makes sense for Begarin to come over this year for long-term roster management as well.

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2022, 11:26:03 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Begarin 2nd round.
agreed.  Begarin would likely be a late second taken as a flyer on him, much like we did.

Madar was overwhelmed in summer league for the most part and his current season abroad isn't quelling concerns about his game/development

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2022, 12:06:54 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I was really impressed with Begarin while watching the summer league.  He was raw, but only 18 years old.  He was listed at 185, but during the broadcast, they said he was actually 215.  He had an impressive physique for his age.  He’s 6’5 with about a 7” wingspan and was very athletic.  He was aggressive, a willing passer, and seemed to have a decent IQ for the game.  He could be a meaningful player for us in a couple of years.

Here’s his highlights from last summer. https://youtu.be/bWHJAXCO_w8

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2022, 12:13:41 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I currently have hopes for Begarin to be on the team next year. Liked him in Summer league a lot for this advanced poise considering his age), along with physical profile mentioned by Knuckleballer.

I have hopes that Madar could become our starting PG maybe 3 or 4 years from now, Smart will either be gone or perhaps ready to come off the bench...

to Summarize:

Begarin: almost now
Madar:  much later

Not sure where they'd go in this draft

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2022, 12:23:40 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Begarin 2nd round.
agreed.  Begarin would likely be a late second taken as a flyer on him, much like we did.

Madar was overwhelmed in summer league for the most part and his current season abroad isn't quelling concerns about his game/development
I liked his IQ and defense, got his hands in the passing lanes etc. However, he needs to add some muscle to play in the NBA.

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2022, 12:36:11 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Late 2nd if they agree to be stashed.

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2022, 01:48:27 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Begarin maybe. I doubt that Madar makes it to the Big Show because of the body.

Begarin has a good body, good movement, good hands.

He's got some attractive skills; shoots with range off the dribble and showed a rather pretty fall-away 18-footer in summer league. Good touch but I thought I saw inconsistent shooting posture, which should be correctable.

Showed a bit of left-hand dribbling and finishing, probably very much a work in progress.

Size and athleticism should translate into an NBA defender.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2022, 01:55:06 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Man, it would be great if even one of these guys end up being an NBA player. We don't really have many picks coming in the next couple of years, so these guys may be some of the only youth we get.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum