Author Topic: Tatum a 90  (Read 2392 times)

Tatum a 90
« on: August 20, 2021, 11:47:48 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I haven’t played NBA 2k in a while but I always find the ratings conversation interesting. Tatum’s ending rating last year was at a 91. In this years iteration, he has an overall rating of 90. It seems strange for him to go backwards but it is what it is.

Of note, Tatum predicts he’s going to end this year at 95. I find that really doubtful but if he does, it sounds like we have a potential mvp candidate-level season on our hands! (For reference, the highest rated players are LBJ, Giannis, KD and Steph, all at 96. Luka and Harden are at 94)

If you play or have been a fan of 2k, what do you think? Is the 90 too low or just right? Will he make good on his prediction to get to 95? What do you think JB’s rating will be?

- LilRip

Re: Tatum a 90
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 05:31:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The 2k rankings are always terrible. Jokic was a 96 at the end of the season, and has gone down 1 to 95 after winning MVP.

For Tatum, I would have given him a 92 based on how he was trending
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 05:38:52 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Comparing a player rating in one year versus another year is kind of irrelevant.  It's their rating versus their peers in the present that is important.  Jokic being a 96 in one iteration of the game has no bearing on what it means to be 95 in another.

If the average of all players last year was 80, and Jokic was a 96, and the average of all players this year is 75 and Jokic is a 95 is a more relevant comparison.

I'm also not a huge fan of giving players 99 ratings because it means if they improve throughout the course of the season, there is no room to adjust their rating.

In terms of Tatum's rating, I feel like based on looking at the other top 10 players, he might be slightly underrated in my opinion, but not knowing what the ratings across the board are gives us no context to what a 90 means in this iteration of the game.  Where is 90 on the bell curve this year? We won't know until we can see the ratings across the board.

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 05:58:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Comparing a player rating in one year versus another year is kind of irrelevant.  It's their rating versus their peers in the present that is important.  Jokic being a 96 in one iteration of the game has no bearing on what it means to be 95 in another.

If the average of all players last year was 80, and Jokic was a 96, and the average of all players this year is 75 and Jokic is a 95 is a more relevant comparison.

I'm also not a huge fan of giving players 99 ratings because it means if they improve throughout the course of the season, there is no room to adjust their rating.

In terms of Tatum's rating, I feel like based on looking at the other top 10 players, he might be slightly underrated in my opinion, but not knowing what the ratings across the board are gives us no context to what a 90 means in this iteration of the game.  Where is 90 on the bell curve this year? We won't know until we can see the ratings across the board.
I don't get why ratings should be dynamic when as far as I'm aware they haven't made the ratings system any different, have they? That's part of my issue - the numbers seem really arbitrary half the time, and the ratings system is not as in-depth as it ought to be
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 06:01:38 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34

I don't get why ratings should be dynamic when as far as I'm aware they haven't made the ratings system any different, have they? That's part of my issue - the numbers seem really arbitrary half the time, and the ratings system is not as in-depth as it ought to be

The way they calculate overall rating has changed a few times throughout the history of the game.  They also sometimes expand the individual ratings, so like instead of just a "shooting" rating, they have 3 pt, mid range, close, post, etc.

They might also rate some stats higher in terms of overall rating.  A player with a 99 rating in mid range might not carry as much weight as a player with a 99 in 3 point rating for example.

Ultimately what matters is how the player performs in relation the other players on the court.

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 08:50:28 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
These are the ratings thus far:

96 - Lebron, KD, Giannis, Steph
95 - Kawhi, Jokic, Embiid
94 - Harden, Luka, Lillard
90 - Tatum
89 - Zion, Trae
88 - Middleton, Gobert
87 - Lavine
86 - Sabonis
85 - Holiday
84 - Simmons, LaMelo

I think Lillard is too high at 94 and that he and Tatum should’ve been fairly even (both at 91? 92?). It’s also really interesting that Simmons is rated that “low” lol I don’t remember his rating last season but to see him below Lavine, Sabonis, Middleton, etc. means his perceived value took a hit, no?

I think Brown ends up in that 86-87 range, based on the players there
- LilRip

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2021, 08:57:36 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

90 - Tatum
89 - Zion, Trae
88 - Middleton, Gobert
87 - Lavine
86 - Sabonis
85 - Holiday
84 - Simmons, LaMelo

I think Lillard is too high at 94 and that he and Tatum should’ve been fairly even (both at 91? 92?). It’s also really interesting that Simmons is rated that “low” lol I don’t remember his rating last season but to see him below Lavine, Sabonis, Middleton, etc. means his perceived value took a hit, no?

I agree that Lillard was slightly too high and Tatum slightly too low.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2021, 11:03:01 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

90 - Tatum
89 - Zion, Trae
88 - Middleton, Gobert
87 - Lavine
86 - Sabonis
85 - Holiday
84 - Simmons, LaMelo

The top end of this seems pretty good.  I have there being a clear top 9 players in the NBA in (some order): Kawhi, Lebron, Durant, Curry, AD, Giannis, Embiid, Jokic, Doncic.  Wonder where AD will eventually get rated.

Then there's a drop off to the next tier for me, which includes Harden, Lillard, Gobert, Tatum, Booker, Mitchell, Butler, Simmons, Zion.  I expect them all to come in at 84+.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur