Author Topic: Can We Talk About Scal?  (Read 36190 times)

Re: Can We Talk About Scal?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2021, 07:57:01 PM »

Offline Sideshow Mel

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
Pregame the other night, I was surprised at how defensive and sullen Scal got after Perk and Abby disagreed with him on something (I wish I remember what it was). He really seemed bummed.

On the other hand, much of his in game stuff is pretty good. I agree that Mike throws him some questions to try to engage him and Scal kind of screws it up with an attitude. Mike is clearly working to draw Scal into a topic and he seems to take it personally or something like that. Mike’s a pro’s pro at this stuff, Scal should relax a bit and follow his lead.

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2021, 07:57:52 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Get Cedric Maxwell in there.

They need someone with a bit of personality.

Completely agree. I think he would do a great job. I do not like Scal, however, after previously having to listen to Donny Marshall who was probably the worst commentator of all time and having to continue to listen to Doris Burke(also terrible), I’ve become sort of numb to Scal.  :-\
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2021, 07:59:04 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Get Cedric Maxwell in there.

They need someone with a bit of personality.

I enjoy Max. Keep him on radio because they would reign him in if on TV broadcast

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2021, 07:59:56 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I know this.

Sometime soon Mike Gorman is gonna retire and I’m gonna be depressed.  He’s head and shoulders my favorite broadcaster to listen to.  His voice is so relaxed and even keeled, he’s never over the top, and he shows emotion when he needs to but his head doesn’t explode with some one liner like we see all too often.

The only broadcaster I might like more than him all time is watching a baseball game called by Jon Miller.  Pat Summerall would be up there too
Greg

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2021, 08:08:07 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Could be worse.....Perk could be calling the game.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2021, 08:11:08 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I watch a lot of other teams and there are some really terrible color commentators. Very few teams have broadcast teams I enjoy listening to.

Scal definitely has smartest guy in the room syndrome.
ok fine

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2021, 09:13:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Could be worse.....Perk could be calling the game.

Rather listen to him

Scal is like a ditz. Laughs at everything. Whats so funny all the time?

Its distracting

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2021, 09:15:26 PM »

Offline Uncle_Stingfinger

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
I have never ever understood the Scal thing.  Is it the looks?  He’s not clever or funny and he never did anything on the court.   Its cause he is a redhead white guy that looks like he should be entertaining.

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2021, 09:28:06 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Scal is awful. They desperately need to find a replacement. Listening to him is like nails on a chalkboard. I miss Tommy.

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2021, 09:48:41 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
Gorman is definitely done after this yr. or next. Pretty much eluded to it on the radio last week. He said something to the effect - my days of going on the road are pretty much done and not sure how much longer I'm going to do this at all... Time for the next chapter.

I really can't watch games these days cuz I'm usually working. But I'll say this not sure of the dude's name but the guy that filled in for grande when he was in quarantine was pretty [dang] good. Not sure how to spell his name but it was john wollack who I could usually care less about but he was surprisingly good... I actually liked him better than grande. He's actually my choice to replace gorman if and when.

As for scal - meh. He's better than that clown they had before him, think he was from UConn, his name escapes me but the dude was horrible. I'll take a celtics fan for these positions and that's it, these guys won't last here.

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2021, 09:49:15 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I don't see the pre/post game stuff since I'm out of market, but I've been watching a lot of games on mute this season or tuning into opposing team's coverage. I just don't care for Scal at all. I've tried, I don't connect with him.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2021, 10:02:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Such a bummer that of all the ex-players we have Scal. Cedric Maxwell or Kevin McHale would be soooo much better.

Don’t like Scal’s chemistry, or lack thereof, with Mike either
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2021, 10:05:47 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I only get to hear Scal in-game but I’m fine with his commentary during the game. He’s a homer but not over the top and I like how he calls it out if the C’s got away with one too. I find his on-the-fly analysis pretty good too and I like how he lends a player’s perspective without being too corny with it. Plus, stories from the KG-PP era are always pretty awesome.

No ones topping Gorman though. He’s the best play-by-play guy I’ve ever heard (my opinion) and he’s the main reason I watch games on the Celtics broadcast on League Pass.

Sidenote: something great about the C’s broadcast is the consistent replays. It doesn’t take away or break up the action and you get to see if a foul really did happen or not.
- LilRip

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2021, 10:08:47 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Perk should replace Scal. He’d get along great with mike. Scal is kind of a jerk including to Mike. Find him quite annoying.

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2021, 11:07:12 PM »

Online President Red

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 40
I also hear Scal only during the games, and I generally like him and think he works well with Mike.  I think they're comfortable with each other; Mike is (naturally) an experienced and steady presence and doesn't seem to mind that Scal isn't yet a polished broadcaster.  Short of Tommy (and Cousy at times), I think he's been the best color guy Mike's had in the many years that I've been watching. 

I also like like that Scal is not afraid to disagree with Mike, and it doesn't seem like Mike is bothered by it. I thought the Andre Drummond discussion recently was excellent.