Author Topic: Monroe Buyout / Signing with Celtics (merged threads)  (Read 36354 times)

Re: Per Wojo: Monroe signing with Boston
« Reply #360 on: February 02, 2018, 03:52:51 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Are ppl sure that the DPE even gives us non-bird rights?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: Greg Monroe: Celtic
« Reply #361 on: February 02, 2018, 03:55:18 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Wow. Solid pickup.

And Danny STILL managed to lowball him by only giving up $5 mill of the $8.4 we had to give. Way to not bid against ourselves as many teams would've done.

How is this a low ball?

There is only half a season left and he was bought out

Plus Celts offered the highest amount

Because we had $8.4 million and it could only be spent on one player.  We gave him a bit more than half of that. 

We definitely offered the most, we just didn't overkill and give the max we could.

« Reply #362 on: February 02, 2018, 03:56:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Cant see how monroe fits under cbs

Danny is a cheapie (horde all the picks)

« Reply #363 on: February 02, 2018, 03:56:59 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I am a person and I am 100% sure.  I cannot speak for others as to their certainty or personhood.

« Reply #364 on: February 02, 2018, 04:00:24 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yes

A player signed using the DPE will have non-bird rights. A player trade for will have whatever right's he would have had with his previous team, unless that player was on a one year deal and was required to waive a NTC as part of the trade. Even the right of first refusal for RFa's transfers.

« Reply #365 on: February 02, 2018, 04:02:05 PM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Are people now aware that Hayward's return is now a closed case after using DPE with Monroe?

Regarding our potential Cavs-matchup, I actually don't see them as our opponent in EC Finals. I see only Raptors.

« Reply #366 on: February 02, 2018, 04:03:00 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Are people now aware that Hayward's return is now a closed case after using DPE with Monroe?

Regarding our potential Cavs-matchup, I actually don't see them as our opponent in EC Finals. I see only Raptors.

No. Hayward can still comeback even after Monroe signing

« Reply #367 on: February 02, 2018, 04:04:32 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

No. Hayward can still comeback even after Monroe signing

Correct

« Reply #368 on: February 02, 2018, 04:08:45 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Wow. Solid pickup.

And Danny STILL managed to lowball him by only giving up $5 mill of the $8.4 we had to give. Way to not bid against ourselves as many teams would've done.

How is this a low ball?

Because we had $8.4 million and it could only be spent on one player.  We gave him a bit more than half of that. 

We definitely offered the most, we just didn't overkill and give the max we could.

Which is why I said earlier I really don't think Monroe is in Danny's long term plans. This is likely just half season rental.

« Reply #369 on: February 02, 2018, 04:10:19 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Case-closed as in he’s definitely coming back? Because nothing about the DPE bars him from returning if he can.

And as for Raptors, I’m not entirely sure about them. I don’t trust Derozan (he takes the highest percentage of “bad shots” in the league) when coaches can gameplan for him over an entire series. Lowry is pretty inconsistent for an all-star. Depending on their matchups, I could see their own hype and the pressure getting to them.
CELTICS 2024

Re: Breaking: Buyout reached with Greg Monroe
« Reply #370 on: February 02, 2018, 04:10:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Rather trade Nader and Larkin. Won't really need either with Evans on board and Yabu has a higher ceiling than those two. Also opens up a roster spot and you can easily replace Larkin with a body on a pro rated vet min.

« Reply #371 on: February 02, 2018, 04:22:46 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Hey... I thought free agents do not want to go to Boston.

« Reply #372 on: February 02, 2018, 04:26:49 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Hey... I thought free agents do not want to go to Boston.

Not according to Al Horford and Gordon Hayward.

« Reply #373 on: February 02, 2018, 04:26:49 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
Wow. Solid pickup.

How is this a low ball?

Which is why I said earlier I really don't think Monroe is in Danny's long term plans. This is likely just half season rental.

Only using 5 of the 8.3million keeps the C's 3.6mil under the Luxury tax. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the 3.6mil is needed as wiggle room for a future trade.

Keith Smith @KeithSmithNBA

After signing Monroe to a reported $5M contract, the Celtics will have approximately $3.6M in space under the Luxury Tax. Just enough wiggle room to bring in another player or two and still avoid the tax.

Avoiding the luxury tax now is big for Boston, because they are almost certain to pay it in the near future. No one wants to be subject to the repeater tax, so this helps Boston potentially avoid that down the line. Had Monroe taken the full DPE, they may not have stayed under.

Bobby Marks @BobbyMarks42

The Greg Monroe $5M contract for 10 weeks of work with the Celtics( plus the playoffs) is equal to a player signing a $13M contract before the season started.

Boston will have non-Bird rights on Monroe after this season when he's a free agent. Barring using the Non-Taxpayer exception, that limits the Celtics to paying him a salary of $6 million next summer.

« Reply #374 on: February 02, 2018, 04:27:45 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
wouldn't it be a shame if it works out really well with Monroe and then he turns around and signs with someone else for $10 million in the offseason?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."