Author Topic: Pierce responds to Tatum comparison and compares Jaylen to a current all star  (Read 4510 times)

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
So....a more athletic Paul Pierce and Kawhi 2.0. AWESOME! Ain't that the truth lol.

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Tatum actually reminds me a little bit of Durant at times with his combination of length and grace.  Durant, of course, is several inches taller.

Grace. I have been searching for that term to describe Tatum. Awesome. The way he moves, its amazing for a player of his age. The movement with his lankiness is definitely Durant-esque. Honestly if Tatum becomes even 80% of the player Durant is, I hope he is a Celtic his entire career.
#JKJB

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Pierce is fair and humble in his assessment about Tatum, especially acknowledging the difference in age but I don't buy the "more athletic" narrative.  I guess he means that Tatum can jump a little higher but Pierce was much thicker and stronger and I believe as quick if not quicker.  Tatum may also be a better pure shooter in the end but Pierce did a lot with his strength and quickness that Tatum may not ever be able to do.  Pierce also had a grittiness intangible that Tatum may or may not develop (kind of like Smart).  Pierce had it from day one.
Not when he was coming out of Kansas.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
Tatum actually reminds me a little bit of Durant at times with his combination of length and grace.  Durant, of course, is several inches taller.
I've felt his game most resembles a shorter, less long KD since summer league.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He also loses the ball for no apparent reason way to often, much like young Durant. He's not as much of a stick as Durant was but still some added strength will do wonders for his game.

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Pierce/Durant hybrid is a good comp for play style.

As for Jaylen Brown, I do think of Kawhi sometimes when watching him, especially coming around screens. Not the savant on defense, but even higher offensive potential. He's quicker and more explosive than Kawhi and shown the same type of development in shooting.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I'm with pierce Durant hybrid. Granger is selling him low

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Tatum is already a better shooter than Pierce ever was, but Pierce was a very strong guy. He very rarely got stripped going to rim, and could finish equally well with either hand. He also was awesome at finishing through contact. Pierce was wrong about Tatum finishing with either hand. He really doesn't do that yet very consistently. He does drive extremely well, though, and will probably end up being an even better scorer than Pierce some day.

I think Kawhi is a more like a 6'7 Marcus Smart, but with a really solid jump shot. Really long arms for his height. Tremendous defensive instincts. He gets his hands on everything and he's super strong.

Jaylen hasn't learned to use his hands defensively like that, at least yet. But he's quite a bit faster and quicker than Kawhi, and can jump better. He's also quite a bit ahead of where Kawhi was as a scorer at this point in his career. I'd be surprised if he doesn't turn out to be the better player.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Tatum is already a better shooter than Pierce ever was
Pierce shot above .400 from three in his rookie season, too, so let's hold our horses a little bit. The jury is still out.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Pierce shot above .400 from three in his rookie season, too, so let's hold our horses a little bit. The jury is still out.
I was surprised to see that Pierce shot that well as a rookie from deep. Was a long long time ago....

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
It's true that Pierce shot above .400 from three in his rookie season.

Its also true that in his long and storied career, Pierce never quite posted percentages for either 2PT or 3PT shooting as high as Tatum posted this year as a 19/20 year old, so I stand by my statement.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
It's true that Pierce shot above .400 from three in his rookie season.

Its also true that in his long and storied career, Pierce never quite posted percentages for either 2PT or 3PT shooting as high as Tatum posted this year as a 19/20 year old, so I stand by my statement.
It's also true that making inferences about an entire career from someone's rookie year can make you look like a fool.

Offline dysgenic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
At times Tatum reminds me of Jamal Crawford.
I really don't see it.

They both have pretty long arms, but that's about it.

Two things stand out to me:
1. Both of them need only the smallest margin to get their shot off; yet they still manage to be able to score consistently on contested shots.  This is a rare commodity.
2. Both of them are willing to shoot anytime, from anywhere.  Thus they are a threat to score in many places that other players aren't.

I get that they are different positions, but they still remind me of each other (at times).

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Tatum will win 6MotY and become the best four-point play player in the NBA.  8)

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I really don't see it.

They both have pretty long arms, but that's about it.

Two things stand out to me:
1. Both of them need only the smallest margin to get their shot off; yet they still manage to be able to score consistently on contested shots.  This is a rare commodity.
2. Both of them are willing to shoot anytime, from anywhere.  Thus they are a threat to score in many places that other players aren't.

I get that they are different positions, but they still remind me of each other (at times).
When he makes a fool out of defenders with sweet dribble moves I can sorta see it.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)