Poll

How do you feel about the various "drafts" on CelticsBlog?

I participate in them regularly
21 (39.6%)
I don't participate in them, but I like to follow them
3 (5.7%)
I'd like to participate in them, but they're intimidating
3 (5.7%)
I don't participate in them, but they don't bother me
15 (28.3%)
I don't participate in them, and they annoy me
11 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Poll: How do you feel about the various "drafts" on CelticsBlog?  (Read 17277 times)

Re: Poll: How do you feel about the various "drafts" on CelticsBlog?
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2014, 02:09:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just to let everyone know, Historical will be happening the first 3 weeks of May. May 5th - 23rd

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2014, 02:33:57 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I agree there are too many at the moment with a basketball theme.

Each are unique.

I like it when different.  I love Redz draft.  Completely random with the best video clips.

I like that there was a soccer one (even if I know nothing and did not follow)

Would still love to make a Pro-Wrestling one (I have ideas but no time at the moment)

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2014, 02:39:54 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Speaking for myself and through observation, it seems that most of the draft participants are more of the "regular" crowd.

Part of the reason for me enjoying the drafts so much is it gets me away from the usual Celtics chatter.

The same topics get rehashed, recycled, and discussed,

-We should/should not trade Rondo
-Rondo is/is not capable of leading a contender
-Brad Stevens is a good/bad coach
-Ainge is a good/bad GM
-We must tank/tanking isn't needed
-We can get Carmelo/Carmelo is selfish and we don't need him
-We can get Kevin Love/Love doesn't play defense and we don't want him
-We can get Omer Asik/Asik is limited and we don't need him
-Jeff Green is overpaid/Jeff Green is adequately paid
-Jared Sullinger will be a star/Jared Sullinger is an overweight injury risk
-Bradley should/should not be part of the core
-Olynyk will be a bust/Olynyk is talented

For me, a daily user, these topics are the horses that are beaten to death so drafts give me a place to escape and not enter a forum where the same 8-10 people have the same debates.

I could see where if you don't visit the forums often, these topics may seem fun and interesting but I go weeks and weeks with nothing that interests me and hasn't already been beaten to death.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2014, 03:02:22 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Why not a separate section for just this stuff?

This may or may not be in the works. ;)

Since the Forums Manager was the OP and the topic was a poll and had to do with forum use/interaction, I assumed that might be a possibility. ;) ;)

If it happens, thanks, and if it doesn't thanks for at least being concerned enough to inquire as to peoples preferences. :)

TP to you RH.

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2014, 03:40:51 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Each are unique.

I like it when different.  I love Redz draft.  Completely random with the best video clips.

Would still love to make a Pro-Wrestling one (I have ideas but no time at the moment)

I loved the Soccer All Time Draft. Would have participated as well if I knew more.

I was hoping that there was a Hockey or Football of it as well.

The random draft was awesome too.

AND SIGN ME UP FOR PRO WRESTLING.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2014, 03:57:21 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
The fantasy draft stuff definitely clogs up the "Latest Forum Topics."

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2014, 04:03:18 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If you don't want draft stuff taking over the latest topics, start better threads.  (Ones that don't involve Rondo, please.)  Heck, no one's even bothered to have an opinion about Ukraine in the current events subforum.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2014, 04:16:52 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
If you don't want draft stuff taking over the latest topics, start better threads.  (Ones that don't involve Rondo, please.)  Heck, no one's even bothered to have an opinion about Ukraine in the current events subforum.

In mother russia, thread creates you.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2014, 04:54:17 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2014, 05:20:44 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

This is pretty much how I feel.

If you want other topics on the forum, create new, thought-provoking conversations.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2014, 05:21:41 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I haven't participated in the fantasy drafts...don't have time, but I have enjoyed playing the Pick A Player (PAP) games for basketball, baseball and football.  The games, as long as they are played in good humor,  don't hurt anyone, and people who do play seem to enjoy them.

As long as blog rules are not broken, if you don't like them, ignore.  If you do like them, enjoy.  That is my take on it.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2014, 05:24:47 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

This is pretty much how I feel.

If you want other topics on the forum, create new, thought-provoking conversations.

Playing devil's advocate -

It's tougher to keep those topics going once they slide from the 'latest forum topics' section.  And that's more likely to happen when there's 4 or 5 fantasy threads occupying the section.

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2014, 05:39:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Celticsblog, for me, has always been a site that was about community and about having a little bit of something to interest people who love the Celtics. Its never been a place dedicated solely to the Celtics.

So there are fantasy drafts that clog up the latest forum topics from time to time. Once upon a time there was a complaint that there was too many current events topics in the latest forum topics.

This site has something for everyone. If you like the games or the current events or off topic areas, great. If you like trade rumors or college ball. There's that. And of course there is stuff by the gobs on the Celtics too.

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2014, 06:03:35 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Each are unique.

I loved the Soccer All Time Draft. Would have participated as well if I knew more.

I was hoping that there was a Hockey or Football of it as well.

The random draft was awesome too.

AND SIGN ME UP FOR PRO WRESTLING.

Now the wrestling one is one I could get down with!

I have no idea what others ideas for it are, but I could see something where everybody has to build a card of like 6-8 matches.  It’d be like a cross between the historical draft and the pub draft.

Draft one specialty match: (steel cage, hell in a cell, I quit, scaffold, ladder, etc.)
Draft one special guest referee
Draft 2 celebrities (one for each corner)
(maybe draft venues, managers, announcers, screw job finishes, etc. but those could be smaller lists to effectively pick from)

Then draft wrestlers from different eras: ’87 Hogan, ’11 CM Punk, ’87 Ricky Steamboat, ’13 Daniel Bryan, ’99 Stone Cold, ’00 Rock, ’88 Demolition, ’82 Jimmy Snuka, etc., and build your matches and book your finishes, all while working in time constraints (hey if you want an epic hour long match between ’85 Ric Flair and ’94 Bret Hart, other people have to have short matches to fit it all in your show).

Questions I don’t know how to answer:
Can the same wrestler with different gimmicks be drafted (Diesel vs Kevin Nash, Kane vs Isaac Yankem)?  How do you handle tag teams?  Can you draft Team Hell No taking both Kane and Bryan off the table?  If someone has drafted Shawn Michaels, can I still draft the Rockers?  (To answer my own question, I’m thinking yes you can draft the same person if he was a completely different character/name, just can’t have them on the same card. And a tag team as well a singles wrestler from that same tag team can be drafted separately by different people, but if you draft the tag team they have to be on your card as a tag team).

Like the historical and pub drafts, it would have to be a smaller draft, like maybe 8 participants max.

I know it’s not even my idea, just brain storming out loud, and maybe others don’t agree with my direction but I’m excited just thinking about it.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2014, 06:50:52 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Why not a separate section for just this stuff?

This may or may not be in the works. ;)

I thought it had its own section?

To spill the beans...  We've been working on a "freshening up" of the forums.  One of the changes will be giving Draft threads there own separate Latest Forum Topics menu, so they all stay in one place.

We were hoping to have all of this rolled out by March 1, but stuff happens.  Hopefully by the end of the regular season that will be in place, along with a lot of cosmetic changes / bug fixes.

This is probably the best compromise.

If you're gonna do that though, having a 'new' post icon in the "latest draft thread forum topics" section next to threads with new posts might help.  Otherwise, the same threads will sit in that subsection, as there are only so many of them.  No way to easily see if the thread has a new post.

The way it works now, with there being many more different threads, in general, threads with new posts get 'cycled' more frequently, thus making it easier to identify threads with new posts.