Author Topic: Major warning for this current Celtics team!  (Read 4899 times)

Major warning for this current Celtics team!
« on: April 10, 2012, 11:46:02 PM »

Offline Senninsage

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
Do not make Pavlovic a benchwarmer again when Pietrus comes back. I repeat. Do not make Pavlovic a benchwarmer again when Pietrus comes back.

Our best stretches this season have come when Pavlovic has been getting playing time. When Rondo was injured earlier in the season, and when other players were hurt, Pavlovic did amazing things for us, especially getting big steals and finishing at the other end, and this latest stretch of games have been clear cut proof of how valuable Pavlovic is to this team's success.

When Pietrus comes back do not make this guy a benchwarmer. Play Pietrus, of course, but also play Pavlovic as well. Extend our bench unit to include Pavlovic and Pietrus. His hustle and defensive intensity, as well as his shooting have been most beneficial for us in all these wins, and I hope Doc sees it. It would be an utter disaster to not give this guy playing time. It reminds me of the mistake I feel we made by not giving Kristic more playing time in the playoffs last year, when he was capable of doing some very good things for us that I think could have helped us in the playoffs. Let's not make that mistake again.

This team is blossoming right before our eyes, becoming every thing we hoped they could be in spite of long odds. Do not make Pavlovic a benchwarmer. He has earned the right to play minutes for this team.

Re: Major warning for this current Celtics team!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 12:01:14 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
I hear ya but both players are streaky and inconsistent offensively.

I give the nod to Pietrus defensively though...not by much.

Pietrus can hit clutch shots too(that's just my gut).

Im not sure the playoff rotation will have room for both players.

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 12:11:35 AM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
Yeah, this is something that's been playing in my mind for the last few games. Sorry, Sasha, but you're heading to bench just like Dooling even though he was playing well too. Pietrus is just a more athletic version of you, and it's hard not to play him. However, if we are looking to make a serious run, then players like Sasha are going to be pivotal down the stretch.

Right now I'm seeing a rotation of Rondo, Bradley, Pierce, Bass, KG starting. Halfway through the first, we turn to a lineup of Rondo, Ray, Pierce, Bass, Stiemsma. For the first half of the second, we go with Bradley, Ray, Pietrus, Bass, Stiemsma. For the latter half of the second, we go with Rondo, Bradley/Pietrus (depends on who is hot), Pierce, Bass, Garnett. Pretty much the same in the second half, except with more variation for the final stretch based on who is hot between the top 7 guys.

Our main problem is that our best bench players (Bradley, Ray, Pietrus, Sasha, or some combination), other than Stiemsma, all play the same position. Regardless, I don't see Sasha as more than a fringe option in the playoffs.

Let's be real and break it down by position.

PG: Rondo is playing 40 minutes. Bradley is playing 8.
SG: Ray is playing 30 minutes. Bradley is playing 18. If either of these numbers are lower, the minutes are going to Pietrus.
SF: Pierce is playing 38 minutes. Pietrus is playing 10.
PF: Bass is playing 36 minutes, Garnett is playing 12.
C: Garnett is playing 24 minutes, Stiemsma is playing 24 minutes.

Right now, I see Pietrus as struggling to get past 10. There's simply no room for Sasha, although I love his contributions lately. The only way he's getting on the court is if Doc decides to go small and take away from the Steamer's minutes, but even then I see any spare minutes going straight to Pietrus - there's just no way around it. Sorry Sasha, but thanks for your efforts and stay fresh.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 12:15:44 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I wouldn't be convinced that Mickael Pietrus wins his spot back automatically.  I think he'll have to earn it. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 12:40:17 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
tough
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 12:41:42 AM »

Offline Army_of_One_Nation

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 44
This is a good problem to have, right?
"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end."
Larry Bird

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 12:43:23 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Pietrus was a better defender and shooter before his concussion. If he repeats this he'll earn those minutes back.

Plus he'll be crucial against teams with bigger SGs and wing rotations. The one area he really improves is the boards, Avery and ray are both very weak on the glass.

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 12:50:36 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The Celtics are 1-3 when Pavlovic has started and 10-2 when he has played 10+ minutes off the bench.

Tony Allen missing two months in 2009 probably gives some idea as to how Doc will handle Pietrus coming back from injury.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 12:59:01 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Yeah, this is something that's been playing in my mind for the last few games. Sorry, Sasha, but you're heading to bench just like Dooling even though he was playing well too. Pietrus is just a more athletic version of you,
Yea he is but as far as speed wise and on the fast break which Sasha is pretty good at I think he's quicker. He has been huge in stretches be it making a HUGE shot like today or getting a steal when we needed it.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 01:02:08 AM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
Yeah, this is something that's been playing in my mind for the last few games. Sorry, Sasha, but you're heading to bench just like Dooling even though he was playing well too. Pietrus is just a more athletic version of you,
Yea he is but as far as speed wise and on the fast break which Sasha is pretty good at I think he's quicker. He has been huge in stretches be it making a HUGE shot like today or getting a steal when we needed it.

I'm not trying to argue against Sasha, which is why he is playing above Dooling even against smaller guys like Wade. There's just 10-12 minutes or so to split between him and Pietrus, and it's hard to justify taking them away from Pietrus if he's healthy.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 01:47:28 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206

I think so. We can now ease MP back into the fold as slowly as need be.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 11:53:36 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
With five games in six days coming up, I am pretty sure that the Celtics will need all the available bodies they can muster. They are playing three games in three nights against bottom feeders so I expect Them to gain the upper hand early and go deep into the bench to limit minutes.

They have an important game against the Knicks next week.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 12:03:14 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I say platoon  and go with hot hand. If one guy is struggling on the night give the other guy a chance. They are pretty similar players although I give the nod on defense to Pietrus although Sasha is pretty decent, and I give playmaking/ball handling advantage to Sasha.

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 11:38:51 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
Yeah, this is something that's been playing in my mind for the last few games. Sorry, Sasha, but you're heading to bench just like Dooling even though he was playing well too. Pietrus is just a more athletic version of you, and it's hard not to play him. However, if we are looking to make a serious run, then players like Sasha are going to be pivotal down the stretch.

Right now I'm seeing a rotation of Rondo, Bradley, Pierce, Bass, KG starting. Halfway through the first, we turn to a lineup of Rondo, Ray, Pierce, Bass, Stiemsma. For the first half of the second, we go with Bradley, Ray, Pietrus, Bass, Stiemsma. For the latter half of the second, we go with Rondo, Bradley/Pietrus (depends on who is hot), Pierce, Bass, Garnett. Pretty much the same in the second half, except with more variation for the final stretch based on who is hot between the top 7 guys.

Our main problem is that our best bench players (Bradley, Ray, Pietrus, Sasha, or some combination), other than Stiemsma, all play the same position. Regardless, I don't see Sasha as more than a fringe option in the playoffs.

Let's be real and break it down by position.

PG: Rondo is playing 40 minutes. Bradley is playing 8.
SG: Ray is playing 30 minutes. Bradley is playing 18. If either of these numbers are lower, the minutes are going to Pietrus.
SF: Pierce is playing 38 minutes. Pietrus is playing 10.
PF: Bass is playing 36 minutes, Garnett is playing 12.
C: Garnett is playing 24 minutes, Stiemsma is playing 24 minutes.

Right now, I see Pietrus as struggling to get past 10. There's simply no room for Sasha, although I love his contributions lately. The only way he's getting on the court is if Doc decides to go small and take away from the Steamer's minutes, but even then I see any spare minutes going straight to Pietrus - there's just no way around it. Sorry Sasha, but thanks for your efforts and stay fresh.
since when was Dooling playin well this season?

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 11:44:47 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54

I agree with you. We have a limited bench and if we are able to trust two different guys off the bench during the playoffs to come out and play solid basketball, this is pretty good going forward. Depth is a prerequisite in deep playoff runs.