Author Topic: Rumor: Rondo for Howard...?  (Read 55501 times)

Re: Rondo for Dwight?
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2013, 12:23:36 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Please. This is beyond stupid. Dwight Howard is a knucklehead who really doesn't care about winning. Not interested.

Ditto. And on top of that, because of the fact that Rondo makes significantly less than Howard, we'd have to give up a bunch in addition to Rondo to acquire said knucklehead. No thanks.

Rondo + Bass gets it done salary wise. You can add Barbosa too if needed to free up some money.

Re: Rumor: Rondo for Howard...?
« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2013, 12:43:25 AM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
As much as I'd like this to happen. I just can't see it realistically.

I'm an absolutely huge Rondo fan (as you can tell by my name). That said, Dwight is one of the 3 or 4 players in the NBA right now. If this is an actual possibility, make it happen Danny
DKC Suns

« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2013, 12:46:23 AM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
The only thing that makes this modestly plausible to me, is that Howard is going to be a FA. If the Lakers really believe he's gone, Rondo as the basis for a deal may very well be the best thing out there. We could potentially add Bradley, Sullinger or picks.

Rondo, Bass + 1st rounder?

Good point 
DKC Suns

« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2013, 12:48:31 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Not sure that I buy this other than a possible smokescreen. C's would be sitting pretty if this trade was made though. These kind of trades you don't turn down but losing Rondo would hurt.

« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2013, 01:00:19 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I really hope Dwight's back isn't going to be a long term issue.  Back injuries scare me more than knee injuries do.

I seem to recall hearing about an interview in which Dwight said he still gets numbness in his legs.  That's concerning.

Plus, I'm not sure Dwight has the "proper" mentality to be a Celtic.

Maybe....

« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2013, 01:00:58 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Rondo for howard? Really? Where do i sign?

« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2013, 01:04:27 AM »

Offline btabakin

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
This trade actually makes sense for both teams. The only way to beat the Heat is with dominant bigs. Howard and KG down low could get that done.

For the Lakers,they get an all-star PG who Kobe loves. As Kobe ages, Rondo can get him easy shots and scoring chances and Rondo can be their franchise cornerstone going forward. If the second player was Jeff Green this would be even better for the Lakers as it gives them another shooter to spread the floor to run D'Antoni's system.

The fact that everyone is denying this so strongly makes it seem even more legitimate.

« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2013, 01:06:46 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
For me, it depends.  If we could get some kind of assurance that Howard's athleticism will return and that he would like to play in Boston beyond this year, then I'd definitely do this.  But I'm not willing to give up Rondo for a rental. 

« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2013, 01:08:39 AM »

Offline btabakin

• Xavier Tillman
For me, it depends.  If we could get some kind of assurance that Howard's athleticism will return and that he would like to play in Boston beyond this year, then I'd definitely do this.  But I'm not willing to give up Rondo for a rental.

That's the key here. But if we trade for Howard we would be able to give him an extra year and more money. Dwight wants to be the focus of attention and he could get that in Boston going forward. If he gave Danny a verbal guarantee I do this automatically.

« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2013, 01:20:16 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
It would be priceless to see Kobe and Rondo try to play with each other.  I don't buy for a minute that Kobe would love to play with Rondo.  I believe it when he says he respects Rondo immensely and all that but these two are both extremely ball dominant ball handlers.  Their games also do not complement each other.  Kobe creates a lot of open spot up jumpers for his teammates and likes to pound the ball a lot.  He's going to dislike not having a spot up shooting option in Rondo and the lack of space Rondo's presence creates.

« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2013, 01:35:05 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

That's the key here. But if we trade for Howard we would be able to give him an extra year and more money. Dwight wants to be the focus of attention and he could get that in Boston going forward. If he gave Danny a verbal guarantee I do this automatically.

Verbal guarantees from dwight howard are worth nothing.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2013, 01:45:46 AM »

Offline btabakin

• Xavier Tillman

Verbal guarantees from dwight howard are worth nothing.

I agree. But sometimes you have to roll the dice. If the trade even occurs (I doubt it will), it makes us better in the short term and long term.

« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2013, 01:53:26 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
The lakers would be smart to give up for this year. They are struggling to even make the playoffs. There's a 1 percent chance they win a championship this year. To let howard walk for nothing when you could get a player of rondos caliber right now?

That would be stupid in my opinion. Howard is too much of a diva to commit to a team that is losing. He has made it clear he wants to win and he wants to win NOW. I think there's a very slim chance he resigns with the lakers.

« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2013, 02:36:24 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Even though Howard's been a shell of himself this year (a shell who's still been pretty good mind you) and even if he ends up bolting, it might be worth it just to see Howard and KG team up on defense together before KG retires.  I can't even wrap my mind around how awesome it would be to have KG and Dwight on the back end surrounded by a slew of great perimeter defenders.  I think the Celtics without Rondo are the best defensive team in the NBA.  In many respects they're just as good as the 2008 defense, which was one of the best defenses of all time but the rebounding woes keeps them from reaching that level.  Howard would fix that and more. 

« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2013, 02:52:51 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I thought Nash had a no trade clause?
Why would they do this and what would they do with Nash?
Move Nash and Gasol for someone?
Or are we looking at Rondo+Pierce+Bass for Howard+Nash?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.