Author Topic: district 9  (Read 8695 times)

district 9
« on: August 15, 2009, 03:37:05 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
im excited to see this movie tomorrow.  any1 see it yet?  if so, and without giving spoilers, how was it?

Re: district 9
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 03:40:03 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
im excited to see this movie tomorrow.  any1 see it yet?  if so, and without giving spoilers, how was it?

I haven't seen it, but people I know have said they really enjoyed it for what that's worth.

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 03:40:28 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I saw it earlier today.  It's interesting.  If I had it to do over again, I'd probably watch it on video.  The beginning starts out kind of slow (and almost a little preachy), but the last 45 minutes or so are pretty cool.

I think the director was going for a bit of a "message" film, which I wasn't in love with, but as entertainment, it was pretty good (again, after the slow beginning).

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 03:41:30 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

I haven't seen it, but people I know have said they really enjoyed it for what that's worth.

thats good to hear.  im really into sci-fi type movies, so im confident i will enjoy it.

i dont know if its true, but i read somewhere that this film was originally supposed to be the halo movie, but bc of creative differences, the movie was "scrapped" putting the halo tag on it.

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 03:42:10 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
sounds good roy...thanks

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 03:46:57 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590

thats good to hear.  im really into sci-fi type movies, so im confident i will enjoy it.

i dont know if its true, but i read somewhere that this film was originally supposed to be the halo movie, but bc of creative differences, the movie was "scrapped" putting the halo tag on it.

I believ thats right. They were going to do the halo(which needs to happen) but they did this instead. The director of this movie does eventualy want to do a halo movie. i think if it is made its going to be based on the reach story.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 03:49:09 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

I believ thats right. They were going to do the halo(which needs to happen) but they did this instead. The director of this movie does eventualy want to do a halo movie. i think if it is made its going to be based on the reach story.

i was hoping you would see that and respond, seeing as its your avatar  :)  thanks for the insight

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 04:02:14 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I thought the movie was great. I feel like the best Sci Fi movies and books are very plausible, this is no exception. If a group of Aliens were stranded on earth, putting them in "refugee" camps is a plausible situation. Everything from the way the citizens reacted to the way the government and corporations acted seemed like the way things would happen in real life (if aliens were stranded above a major city).
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 02:20:40 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
It's definitely a cut above your typical summer popcorn movie.  Go check it out.

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 09:17:24 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I thought it was meh - the main human character was unlikeable, the premise was interesting, but the movie got too campy at times. The violence was cartoonish.  One of the big things that annoyed me was it was shot documentary style, but there were points where it was obvious a camera shouldn't have been there.  Overall an ok movie, but I would have waited for dvd for it had I known what it was all about
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 10:55:32 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Spoilers

What was the deal with the ship?  It's carry a million aliens who are all starving, most of whom seem like complete morons?  How does a society of beings advanced enough to have intergalactic space flight have so many idiots?

And why did we allow the aliens to bring their weapons with them?  (I'm presuming they brought them with them, because they were searching for "their technology", complete with fuel sources.  Obviously, these came from the ship.)  And if the aliens had their weapons, why weren't they using them to revolt?

Any then, at the end, when CJ leaves with his son in that *huge* ship, why doesn't he attempt to bring any other aliens with him?  And the excuse that "we need all the fuel we have to get home as quickly as possible" for a reason not to heal the hybrid guy?  How much extra fuel could it have possibly taken on the year and a half trip back home?

I don't know, the plot holes, the preachyness, and the documentary style kept me from enjoying this movie as much as some others did.  Overall, though, it was entertaining enough, after the slow beginning.

End spoilers.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 04:04:23 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Spoilers

What was the deal with the ship?  It's carry a million aliens who are all starving, most of whom seem like complete morons?  How does a society of beings advanced enough to have intergalactic space flight have so many idiots?

And why did we allow the aliens to bring their weapons with them?  (I'm presuming they brought them with them, because they were searching for "their technology", complete with fuel sources.  Obviously, these came from the ship.)  And if the aliens had their weapons, why weren't they using them to revolt?

Any then, at the end, when CJ leaves with his son in that *huge* ship, why doesn't he attempt to bring any other aliens with him?  And the excuse that "we need all the fuel we have to get home as quickly as possible" for a reason not to heal the hybrid guy?  How much extra fuel could it have possibly taken on the year and a half trip back home?

I don't know, the plot holes, the preachyness, and the documentary style kept me from enjoying this movie as much as some others did.  Overall, though, it was entertaining enough, after the slow beginning.

End spoilers.

and the movie had some sweet previews for other movies...can't discount that...  ::)
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 05:02:16 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
How many dumb people are on our planet? Maybe it was a prison ship, like how England sent a bunch of prisoners to Australia.
Also they had been there 20 years, so the ones that were on the younger side probably had no education.

Remember in the movie when the part broke and fell from the ship. I assume the weapons fell out when that happened, or they were smuggled by aliens. All the Aliens were placed in the same area, and they probably did not have enough weapons to arm even a 100th of them. They were placed inside a camp that was guarded and had missiles. If they revolted the governing body of the world would have just bombed that area until all of the aliens were dead. I'm sure they tried to revolt at one point but were probably unsuccessful.

He said he would heal the hybrid guy, but it would take three years. So basically CJ was only willing to go straight home then back with no interruptions in between. Why he didn't bring any other aliens with him, I'm not really sure. I think he was just trying to escape and bring back help later.
The only thing about the movie that bothered me was how we were treating the aliens. Mostly it bothered me because if this were the real situation the aliens would probably be treated in the exact same way
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 12:22:13 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Spoilers

Most of this is explained very briefly when they say that it appears the prawns had some commander caste who left or died off shortly before the ship stopped.  The ones who were left were like a bunch of worker bees with no queen to tell them what to do.

I think a lot of things fell off the ship early on - that's where the small ship the alien had hidden came from (they showed it falling off very early on when talking about the command module).  Still seems unlikely there'd be that many weapons unaccounted for though.

I don't think he really had time to grab anyone else in the firefight at the end.  What confused me is how the same substance was both super-concentrated ship fuel and a full-scale DNA recombinator at the same time. 

End spoilers.

I really liked this movie overall - it's one of the smarter sci-fi movies I've seen in awhile despite a few plot holes.  And the alien weapons were awesome. 

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 08:58:37 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I wasn't that distracted by plot holes, it was kind of designed to be a little mysterious and ambiguous so I ran with it

what got to me was the comical gore

to be honest, I have a weak stomach for gore, so it was a major distraction for me

with that said, I enjoyed it ok overall - probably a solid B grade from me
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)