Poll

Do you think Kahwi Leonard comes to Boston?

Yes
14 (15.9%)
No
74 (84.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: June 29, 2018, 11:30:27 PM

Author Topic: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)  (Read 120211 times)

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Didn't we already know Boston made an offer for Kawhi (or at least that Ainge inquired about him)? I think this article is just lumping a few things together.

Yeah, the article is kind of weird it says:

"The Boston Celtics, Cleveland Cavaliers, Philadelphia 76ers and LA Clippers are among teams who have made offers to the Spurs for Leonard, league sources said."

It gives no indication if these teams have made new or recent offers so this could easily just be repeating what has already been reported, that the Celtics made an offer at the deadline this past year.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: A formal offer has been made for Kawhi
« Reply #571 on: June 27, 2018, 02:36:48 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
flood gates have opened

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2783204-kawhi-leonard-trade-rumors-cavaliers-lakers-celtics-76ers-contacted-spurs

Per Shelburne and Wojnarowski, Leonard intends to let any teams interested in acquiring him know that he plans to sign with the Lakers when he can become a free agent.

This is not an argument against trading for Kawhi, but is is an argument for not doing so until AFTER the Lakers have signed both LeBron and PG13, as if those two sign for max at more than a year, there will not be max room for Kawhi next summer with the Lakers, even if they completely purge the rest of their roster.

Because they would not own his Bird rights?

If the LAL signed those 2, they would be capped and wouldn't have room to sign a 3rd max contract, whereas now they could squeeze him in at the lower salary via trade, then have bird rights next year. However, if Kawhi's desire to go to LA is as reported, nothing says he has to sign a max deal or even a long term deal. He could always go the Durant route, and he's such an unusual guy, would that shock anyone?

I just don't see how any team other than LAL can trade much of value for Kawhi. Given what's transpired in the last year and his stated desire to go to LA, Ainge would be a fool to trust that he could keep KL and gamble with such a franchise altering decision.

« Reply #572 on: June 27, 2018, 02:38:57 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
I'm thinking the Spurs finally decide to send him to the Lakers when they get everything from them. All the picks and all the young guys they want.

I agree. The Lakers will be forced to out bid because they will be getting more in return, a player who wants to stay beyond one year.
Not sure if they had info or just conjecture, but the guys on NBA radio were saying a few hours ago that they thought the whole dog and pony show with Kawhi right now is SAS trying to push LAL to give up both Ingram and Kuzma (but they don't want Ball).

They also said LAL was trying to swing another trade to get another #1 that they could throw in that pick to send to SAS. 

« Reply #573 on: June 27, 2018, 02:45:50 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
why link a NBC article that is just based off an ESPN report?  and that ESPN report has already been discussed on this board.

This whole thing is weird. The NBC article says, "the Celtics are among a handful of teams that have already made formal offers to the Spurs for Leonard," but sites as its source an ESPN article which says this:

"The Boston Celtics, Cleveland Cavaliers, Philadelphia 76ers and LA Clippers are among teams who have made offers to the Spurs for Leonard, league sources said."

The ESPN article doesn't give any information so this could very well just be sloppy journalism talking about the offer we already know the Celtics made at the deadline.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)
« Reply #574 on: June 27, 2018, 03:19:33 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Honestly, in reference to the ESPN article thread I posted (now merged here), I'm actually shocked there isn't much buzz on PHI or HOU getting James. Those were like the "favorites" to land him yet we've only heard he doesn't like Houston and nothing about PHI lol.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #575 on: June 27, 2018, 03:24:41 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
So now LeBrick's decision depends on Leonard. Sack up James. Be the first guy to commit to the Lakers and then go get the guys.

« Reply #576 on: June 27, 2018, 03:43:54 PM »

Online CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
So now LeBrick's decision depends on Leonard. Sack up James. Be the first guy to commit to the Lakers and then go get the guys.

This is what I feared. Philly getting both is in play.

« Reply #577 on: June 27, 2018, 03:47:59 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Philly is the last team I am worried about. I think he stays in Cleveland before he goes to Philly. Philly would have to still cut money to just fit in Lebron and they would have to gut their roster to get Leonard.

« Reply #578 on: June 27, 2018, 03:56:14 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Hi stakes poker being played by NBA GMs right now.

« Reply #579 on: June 27, 2018, 04:00:46 PM »

Online CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!

Philly is the last team I am worried about. I think he stays in Cleveland before he goes to Philly. Philly would have to still cut money to just fit in Lebron and they would have to gut their roster to get Leonard.

The only player Philly would lose that is worth anything is Saric and he would be redundant if they got both those stars. I don’t see LeBron going anywhere by myself so yeah he may just opt in to Cleveland for one more year. Whom ever gets Kawhi gets LeBron IMO. Once again he holds all the cards.

« Reply #580 on: June 27, 2018, 04:09:19 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15

The only player Philly would lose that is worth anything is Saric and he would be redundant if they got both those stars. I don’t see LeBron going anywhere by myself so yeah he may just opt in to Cleveland for one more year. Whom ever gets Kawhi gets LeBron IMO. Once again he holds all the cards.

Saric, rob cov, and that stupid maimi pick is very convincing.

I personally do not want leanord here but if it meant just getting rid of say smart, Morris, and or Rozier.... ssssure. Literally anyone else is a no for me. Brown is a lowkey beast!

« Reply #581 on: June 27, 2018, 04:09:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Honestly, in reference to the ESPN article thread I posted (now merged here), I'm actually shocked there isn't much buzz on PHI or HOU getting James. Those were like the "favorites" to land him yet we've only heard he doesn't like Houston and nothing about PHI lol.

I am personally not really surprised he is not interested in philly (and the odds of them getting him have steadily dropped on the markets since the season ended). Despite our resident phanatics here (or tazzanatics) they still have a lot to prove. I think they would be a lot more appealing next offseason if they can have a deeper postseason run than a gentleman's sweet in the second round and show something out of fultz.

« Reply #582 on: June 27, 2018, 04:10:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

its not

« Reply #583 on: June 27, 2018, 04:12:38 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

I don't think he wants to go to Philly. Not just gambling on young players, but the city itself.

It's also been said that Lebron hates the city of Houston and would never go there, even for his best friend.

IMO, if he can't put something together in LA, he'll stay another year in CLE.

« Reply #584 on: June 27, 2018, 04:14:58 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Hi stakes poker being played by NBA GMs right now.

Ainge is very good at that game.