Author Topic: Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard!!!  (Read 69507 times)

Re: Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard!!!
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2020, 02:48:31 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I am here to tell you all.  This is one of the best picks in the draft.  I take it that many of you don't stay up to watch PAC12 basketball. It is not often that you can get a player at 26 that is as accomplished and has as many elite skills/traits that he has. 

1.  He is easily one of the best shooting PGs in this draft.  His range is limitless.

2.  His handle is tight.  Super shifty and crafty with the ball in his hands and generates space to get shots off and make plays.

3.  Ultimate competitor and clutch as hell. 

They say size is a detriment but he is 6'2 not 5'10.  I have watched alot of his games and he was very high on my board.  You will love him.  Just watch his highlights and you will quickly change your minds.
Welcome aboard! TP for the scouting report (and the optimism)! 8)

I've never watched him play. Not even in highlight videos. Is there a player he reminds you of? I saw some Fred VanVleet comps. Does this sound like an overly optimistic scenario to you?

Pritchard is more uptempo/pushes ball up the court more than Van Vleet. But I can see why the comparison is made

I also see some Dragic and Kidd in Pritchard style/uptempo/flashy ness aspect of his game

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2020, 02:52:05 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I am here to tell you all.  This is one of the best picks in the draft.  I take it that many of you don't stay up to watch PAC12 basketball. It is not often that you can get a player at 26 that is as accomplished and has as many elite skills/traits that he has. 

1.  He is easily one of the best shooting PGs in this draft.  His range is limitless.

2.  His handle is tight.  Super shifty and crafty with the ball in his hands and generates space to get shots off and make plays.

They say size is a detriment but he is 6'2 not 5'10.  I have watched alot of his games and he was very high on my board.  You will love him.  Just watch his highlights and you will quickly change your minds.

I've never watched him play. Not even in highlight videos. Is there a player he reminds you of? I saw some Fred VanVleet comps. Does this sound like an overly optimistic scenario to you?

Pritchard is more uptempo/pushes ball up the court more than Van Vleet. But I can see why the comparison is made

I also see some Dragic and Kidd in Pritchard style/uptempo/flashy ness aspect of his game
I'd be pretty happy with Jason Kidd
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2020, 02:56:14 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Kidd is one of the best PGs of all time. Dragic was an All-Star. He even made the all-NBA teams once. With all due respect mate, I can't take this seriously. ;D

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2020, 03:02:47 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Kidd is one of the best PGs of all time. Dragic was an All-Star. He even made the all-NBA teams once. With all due respect mate, I can't take this seriously. ;D
He meant stylistically but man what a steal would it be if PP becomes a Dragic level player, ntm Kidd :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2020, 03:28:11 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Payton played against Tatum before

https://youtu.be/pBuuqP7cw20

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2020, 04:45:48 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
Welcome Payton... But I am really intrigued about this pick and not in a good way.

First because it's clearly admitting Carsen and Tremont were mistake last year... Even if Tramont showed some good skills. 3 late first-early second in a row to take undersized guards... I don't get it.

Secondly because they were still player who can provide smtgh now (Tillman or Carney) or more sure thing at PG (Terry and Maledon).

I don't understand why Maledon felt so much in the draft. One year ago he wasn't seen worst than Killian, now one is a 7 pick and the other is in the second round. Maybe Hayes game is a little more adapted to NBA. But at 30 Maledon would be a total still. Believe me, this guy is smart, good IQ, hard worker and know to do a little of evthg.

We will see in 3-4 years from now where Theo will be and where Payton will be... Not sure the Kidd comparaison will look good then and even before.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 05:19:57 AM by Rikibellevie »

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2020, 04:52:31 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Welcome Payton... But I am really intrigued about this pick and not in a good way.

First because it's clearly admitting Carsen and Tremont were mistake last year... Even if Tramont showed some good skills. 3 late first-early second in a row to take undersized guards... I don't get it.

Secondly because they were still player who can provide smtgh now (Tillman or Carney) or more qure thing at PG (Terry and Maledon).

I don't understand why Maledon felt so much in the draft. One year ago he wasn't seen worst than Killian, now one is a 7 pick the other in the second round. Maube Hayes game is a little more adapted to NBA. But at 30 Maledon would be a total still. Beliebe me, this guy is smart, good IQ hard worker and know to do a little of evthg.

We will see in 3-4 years from now where Theo will be and where Payton will be... Not sure the Kidd comparaison will look good then and even before.
I think Terry & Maledon are much less sure things than Pritchard

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2020, 05:35:07 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown

[/quote]

Time will tell my dear Gouki. But at 18 YO Maledon was already a correct role player in Euroleague, selected in french team and has a much more adapted body. Payton last year at 21 was doing 13/3/4 with 41%/32%.... It's just this year he explosed if I look correctly at his stats... And he is quiet small (unless Theo) and not very quick on first step (like Theo).

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2020, 05:38:34 AM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
Most alliterative Celtic since Paul Pierce.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2020, 05:44:13 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown

Time will tell my dear Gouki. But at 18 YO Maledon was already a correct role player in Euroleague, selected in french team and has a much more adapted body. Payton last year at 21 was doing 13/3/4 with 41%/32%.... On NCAA not Euroleague... It's just this year he explosed if I look correctly at his stats... And he is quiet small (unless Theo) and not very quick on first step (like Theo).
[/quote]

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2020, 06:09:05 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Time will tell my dear Gouki. But at 18 YO Maledon was already a correct role player in Euroleague, selected in french team and has a much more adapted body. Payton last year at 21 was doing 13/3/4 with 41%/32%.... On NCAA not Euroleague... It's just this year he explosed if I look correctly at his stats... And he is quiet small (unless Theo) and not very quick on first step (like Theo).
I do get the appeal of Maledon - I like his game generally. But I feel as if for what we need (3PT shooting & toughness) Pritchard fits that bill better. He’s also only 1 inch shorter but about 25lbs heavier and therefore much stronger. Maledon might be quicker, but I think Pritchard is a better passer and ball-handler.

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2020, 06:14:28 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I do get the appeal of Maledon - I like his game generally. But I feel as if for what we need (3PT shooting & toughness) Pritchard fits that bill better. He’s also only 1 inch shorter but about 25lbs heavier and therefore much stronger. Maledon might be quicker, but I think Pritchard is a better passer and ball-handler.
Pritchard's skillset screams star if the stuff he does in the NCAA translates to the NBA - I get that he doesn't have top-notch athleticism to explode past defenders and draw a ton of fouls, but elite shooting, playmaking and ballhandling can still result in a decent offensive engine.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2020, 06:15:23 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

Sure he is thicker, he is like 4 years older than theo.

The player is fine, the draft location is abyssmal.

If team wanted him should have just traded down into the late 30s, or waited for pick 47.

I would be shocked if he was picked by anyone prior pick 47.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2020, 06:16:09 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Pritchard's skillset screams star if the stuff he does in the NCAA translates to the NBA - I get that he doesn't have top-notch athleticism to explode past defenders and draw a ton of fouls, but elite shooting, playmaking and ballhandling can still result in a decent offensive engine.
Yeah, plus I really like his apparent work ethic. Does his best to improve everything he can

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2020, 07:53:57 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Sure he is thicker, he is like 4 years older than theo.

The player is fine, the draft location is abyssmal.

If team wanted him should have just traded down into the late 30s, or waited for pick 47.

I would be shocked if he was picked by anyone prior pick 47.

He apparently had a draft promise in the late first. With news coming out that he didn't expect the Cs to draft him, that means he wouldn't have been available at 30, never mind 47

I don't know what to think of this pick either, but he is an intriguing prospect. Usually with tough, gritty guards you get a TJ McConnell/Matt Dellavedova type who can't really shoot. The FVV comps make more sense (gritty, but offensively talented), but he has a lot to prove to get FVV's level.

I agree that this pick completely makes Edwards expendable, and Tremont, too. I am not as worried about Tremont - as he was the 51st pick of the draft (we just picked a guy named Yam at 47) - but it is a shame to have wasted a decentish pick on Edwards when we were just going to look to replace him the next season. He seems like a really good kid, too.