Author Topic: Fultz still can't shoot  (Read 24893 times)

Re: Fultz still can't shoot
« Reply #165 on: June 24, 2018, 07:02:52 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
There was a reason they hid him for half a year prior to the draft.

« Reply #166 on: June 24, 2018, 07:03:51 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Before the draft, while coming to grips with Danny’s decision to trade fultz, I compared fultz to Michael Beasley.  Something about him just seemed off.  Of course, I never would have imagined this.  Something just seems off about the kid.

« Reply #167 on: June 24, 2018, 07:20:12 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
This kid isn't hurt or Philly is the worst run organization of all of pro sports. In either case Fultz won't recover from this to be a John Wall, Kyrie Irving or even Lillard. Maybe he can become a rotation player for someone hoping they can fix him but man it aint looking good. How many times has a guy made it to the NBA and had to learn how to shoot?
I was clicking through the videos in that long-arse article and realized how often he hangs his head down after an ugly jumper.  Makes it hard to believe he'll ever turn into a big-time scorer -- those guys essentially plow through games with the mindset that the next shot is always going in.

I have to think Philly or Boston would've been the best spots for him to be drafted, considering the fact that Brown or Stevens can at least fix his shot and instill confidence. If he went to a bottom feeding team, I don't think he would be riding the pine and losing any semblance of whatever confidence he has left.
He's very lucky he went to Philly.

If he were on a typical tanking team that spent the #1 pick on him the pressure would be so high.

In Philly they have 2 other young stars and are winning without him so there's less scrutiny
they cashed in  2 lottery picks to draft a guy who forgot how to shoot lol

Fultz traing with Hanlen
« Reply #168 on: June 25, 2018, 01:39:21 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/sixers-remain-patient-markelle-fultz-shooting-brett-brown-drew-hanlen-20180624.html?mobi=true

So the great shooting trainer Hanlen says Fultz's problem is YIPS(he competently forgot his shot), and that they are way ahead of schedule and his shot will be perfect come summer league

But...doesn't this sound strange?

If Fultz's problem is YIPS (means it's mental), shouldn't they find a Psycotherapist rather than a shooting coach? because what Fultz need to do is to remember his shot, not rebuild it, even you successfuly rebuild the shot, as long as the mental doesn't get fixed he will likely forget it again(just like that).

Re: Fultz traing with Hanlen
« Reply #169 on: June 25, 2018, 01:47:46 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Not going to work

« Reply #170 on: June 25, 2018, 01:50:49 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Very odd
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #171 on: June 25, 2018, 02:07:23 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Off course they have to rebuild his shot.  He made changes to improve it and totally screwed it up so much it became mental too.  Hanlen references multiple hitches. 

"With Markelle, obviously he has one of the most documented cases of kind of the yips of basketball in recent years, where he completely forgot how to shoot and had multiple hitches in his shot,"

The fact that Hanlen is speaking out shows he's confident of success and that is confirmed by his quotes. 

"We’ve been working hard every day, working on rewiring his body and getting a kind of smooth stroke back into his shot,"

"We’re way ahead of pace where I thought we were going to be, I thought it was going to take me at least six weeks before we had kind of a serviceable jump shot, and we’re already starting to shoot with a jump in week two. It’s not perfect yet, but I think by the end of the summer it will be perfect."

If Hanlen weren't confident, he'd be a lot more reserved in his quotes. 

« Reply #172 on: June 25, 2018, 02:17:15 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I'd buy it, I like what drew has done for people I see him working out but I also didn't believe Fultz was a lost cause anyway.

I will say this though, all the videos they post are of fultz dunking though, so it's a wait and see thing for me.

I wish him luck.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #173 on: June 25, 2018, 03:29:55 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
If it is YIPS I wonder how is his putting going?

« Reply #174 on: June 25, 2018, 07:22:30 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Discussed in this thread about Fultz already.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=95012.0

« Reply #175 on: June 25, 2018, 08:20:32 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Off course they have to rebuild his shot.  He made changes to improve it and totally screwed it up so much it became mental too.  Hanlen references multiple hitches. 

"With Markelle, obviously he has one of the most documented cases of kind of the yips of basketball in recent years, where he completely forgot how to shoot and had multiple hitches in his shot,"

The fact that Hanlen is speaking out shows he's confident of success and that is confirmed by his quotes. 

"We’ve been working hard every day, working on rewiring his body and getting a kind of smooth stroke back into his shot,"

"We’re way ahead of pace where I thought we were going to be, I thought it was going to take me at least six weeks before we had kind of a serviceable jump shot, and we’re already starting to shoot with a jump in week two. It’s not perfect yet, but I think by the end of the summer it will be perfect."

If Hanlen weren't confident, he'd be a lot more reserved in his quotes.

I'm shocked that you would try to put a positive spin on something Philly related.

« Reply #176 on: June 25, 2018, 09:06:30 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Good luck with that.  Prior to the deal with Philly, when it appeared the C's would take him, I looked into his eyes and I saw...nothing.

« Reply #177 on: June 25, 2018, 09:09:55 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
If Fultz's problem is YIPS (means it's mental), shouldn't they find a Psycotherapist rather than a shooting coach? because what Fultz need to do is to remember his shot, not rebuild it, even you successfuly rebuild the shot, as long as the mental doesn't get fixed he will likely forget it again(just like that).

I'd imagine Hanlen has a sports psychologist on his team.  Definitely an important part of Fultz's improvement, as you said. 

Not going to work

I think there's reason for more optimism.  He's very talented and still so young.  Age of beginning any form of treatment for psych challenges is one of the best predictors of outcome. I hope he does figure it out, seems like a good kid.

I'd buy it, I like what drew has done for people I see him working out but I also didn't believe Fultz was a lost cause anyway.

I will say this though, all the videos they post are of fultz dunking though, so it's a wait and see thing for me.

I wish him luck.

Baby steps.  :)  and me too.  Both and good kid and I'd like to see our rivalry reborn.

Discussed in this thread about Fultz already.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=95012.0

Have you ever had initiative that did not result in great success?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #178 on: June 25, 2018, 09:46:00 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
i forgot how to ride a bicycle...

« Reply #179 on: June 25, 2018, 10:01:43 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm just glad he's not our problem. But I do find it humorous that Hanlen is trash-talking him by saying he thinks Tatum was the best player in that draft.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."