Author Topic: If we get lucky with Kings pick  (Read 3526 times)

If we get lucky with Kings pick
« on: March 20, 2019, 10:31:28 PM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
What the hell do we do with it if it ends up at number 2? Trade it draft Barrett?

Re: If we get lucky with Kings pick
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 10:38:33 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Take Barrett. Best player in draft
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 10:49:00 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Try to negotiate a better deal with New Orleans. Whether that means we get to keep Tatum or something else, I don't know.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 11:23:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Try to negotiate a better deal with New Orleans. Whether that means we get to keep Tatum or something else, I don't know.

Yeah, my preference would still be to trade for Davis, but the #2 pick means that we offer fewer assets.  That may mean keeping Tatum, it might mean keeping the Memphis pick and/or other picks, etc.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 11:25:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yeah, my preference would still be to trade for Davis, but the #2 pick means that we offer fewer assets.  That may mean keeping Tatum, it might mean keeping the Memphis pick and/or other picks, etc.
Would you rather trade Tatum (and presumably another lower first or something) or the #2 pick in a Davis trade?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 11:29:14 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
What the hell do we do with it if it ends up at number 2? Trade it draft Barrett?

There's very little chance of getting the #2 pick as the Kings are currently #14 in the lottery right now.

I can't remember a time where the #14 position ended up in the top 3.

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 11:33:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Would you rather trade Tatum (and presumably another lower first or something) or the #2 pick in a Davis trade?

That's a tough question.  I'm a big "bird in the hand" guy, so my preference would be to keep Tatum.  At the same time, the #2 pick has two more years of cost control, and that might be big if we're going to have so many guys getting max contracts.

Also, as I'm always willing to readily admit:  I suck at predicting the draft.  I have no idea if Barrett or Morant is going to be a great pro or not.  If Danny was confident, my guess is that his preference would be to keep the draft pick.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 11:38:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

There's very little chance of getting the #2 pick as the Kings are currently #14 in the lottery right now.

We've got a 1.9% chance of moving up to #2 - #4.

Looking at draft history, teams have beat those odds before.  The Cavs only had a 1.7% chance of moving up to #1 in 2014.  The Bulls had those same 1.7% odds in 2008.  The Magic had 1.52% odds in the Webber / Penny lottery.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/lottery_winners

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 11:41:05 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

That's a tough question.  I'm a big "bird in the hand" guy, so my preference would be to keep Tatum.  At the same time, the #2 pick has two more years of cost control, and that might be big if we're going to have so many guys getting max contracts.

Also, as I'm always willing to readily admit:  I suck at predicting the draft.  I have no idea if Barrett or Morant is going to be a great pro or not.  If Danny was confident, my guess is that his preference would be to keep the draft pick.
the cost control are nice thoughts. The other question should be do the pieces fit and bring the best out of Davis and Kyrie.

But we'd be good no matter who we keep if we have the pick Jump to the 2nd or 3rd pick

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 11:41:44 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I take Barrett. And don't bother with AD. C's could become the next Warriors in 2 years.

Irving, Brown, Barrett, Tatum, Horford
Smart, Hayward, Baynes

Plus Clippers and C's pick.
Then Grizz first in 2020.

One thing I am not sure about is if you were able to deal Hayward and Clippers 1st for cap relief. If Horford is up with that cap relief maybe you have enough $ to sign AD. Again not 100% sure but man Irving, Brown, Barrett, Tatum, Davis and Smart as your core is nuts.

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 11:42:51 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

We've got a 1.9% chance of moving up to #2 - #4.

Looking at draft history, teams have beat those odds before.  The Cavs only had a 1.7% chance of moving up to #1 in 2014.  The Bulls had those same 1.7% odds in 2008.  The Magic had 1.52% odds in the Webber / Penny lottery.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/lottery_winners

I looked at that link you posted.

The Cavs of 2014 moved from 9th to #1.

In 2008, the Bulls moved from 9th to #1.

And the Magic of 1993 moved from 11th to #1.

But there was never a #13 or #14 moving up to #1.

So there's very little chance or close to no chance we'll be getting a #2 pick.

History is not on our side.

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 11:44:45 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
I take Barrett. And don't bother with AD. C's could become the next Warriors in 2 years.

Irving, Brown, Barrett, Tatum, Horford
Smart, Hayward, Baynes

Plus Clippers and C's pick.
Then Grizz first in 2020.

One thing I am not sure about is if you were able to deal Hayward and Clippers 1st for cap relief. If Horford is up with that cap relief maybe you have enough $ to sign AD. Again not 100% sure but man Irving, Brown, Barrett, Tatum, Davis and Smart as your core is nuts.

Agree, that would be nuts.

But I think Ainge has already made up his mind about trading for AD and it would cost the Celts Jayson Tatum.

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 11:46:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

There's a large difference between "very little chance" and "no chance", though.

2% odds mean we'd move up about 1 out of every 50 lotteries.  Long odds, for sure.  However, those odds are non-zero, and better odds than the Bulls, Cavs and Magic faced.  So yes, there's no reasonable expectation of moving up, but it's within the realm of possibility, and thus fun to discuss.

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 11:46:28 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
No brainer.

Keep the pick.

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 11:54:50 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

There's a large difference between "very little chance" and "no chance", though.

2% odds mean we'd move up about 1 out of every 50 lotteries.  Long odds, for sure.  However, those odds are non-zero, and better odds than the Bulls, Cavs and Magic faced.  So yes, there's no reasonable expectation of moving up, but it's within the realm of possibility, and thus fun to discuss.

In that case then I think the Celts will be able to keep Tatum and Ainge will offer the #2 pick for AD instead.