Author Topic: Brad Stevens is not an elite coach  (Read 7978 times)

Re: Brad Stevens is not an elite coach
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2019, 10:49:33 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Burn this thread to the ground.

If Tatum hits at least 2 of his WIDE OPEN threes, this game has a different complexion. But god forbid anyone says something somewhat critical of a young guy. I know everyone wants Tatum to be special, but he's just not yet. He has flashes, but he's nowhere near doing it consistently.
What are you on about? The majority of this thread has been talking about Jaylen, whose recent performances have earned him the right to not play 20 minutes a game behind Morris and Smart imo.

"The ball should be funneling through Tatum and Brown" is literally in the OP. The problem is Tatum has Kobe-itis and Brown - for as good as he's been lately - can't be trusted at the free throw line late in games.

The low faith you have in these two

How the F did the team make the ecf last season. Can you explain?

That was almost a year ago. It's over. I'm not going to put them on the back for being stagnant - Tatum in particular. He's not getting less opportunity compared to last year's playoffs, but he has not improved his game. I'll give Brown a little leeway because he wasn't 100% healthy in the early going, but with the game close in the fourth quarter, I'm still not running the offense through a guy who shoots 68% from the free throw line.
I mean his percentages at the FT line are a bit down due to his early season struggles. I'd probably say he's around 70-75%, which is good enough for me considering his two way ability.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2019, 10:58:51 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I think we'll have to wait for the playoffs to see what this current Celts team is made of.

In the playoffs, Brad will most likely shorten the rotation and play the starters close to 40 minutes per game.

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2019, 10:59:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

If Tatum hits at least 2 of his WIDE OPEN threes, this game has a different complexion. But god forbid anyone says something somewhat critical of a young guy. I know everyone wants Tatum to be special, but he's just not yet. He has flashes, but he's nowhere near doing it consistently.
What are you on about? The majority of this thread has been talking about Jaylen, whose recent performances have earned him the right to not play 20 minutes a game behind Morris and Smart imo.

"The ball should be funneling through Tatum and Brown" is literally in the OP. The problem is Tatum has Kobe-itis and Brown - for as good as he's been lately - can't be trusted at the free throw line late in games.

That was almost a year ago. It's over. I'm not going to put them on the back for being stagnant - Tatum in particular. He's not getting less opportunity compared to last year's playoffs, but he has not improved his game. I'll give Brown a little leeway because he wasn't 100% healthy in the early going, but with the game close in the fourth quarter, I'm still not running the offense through a guy who shoots 68% from the free throw line.
I mean his percentages at the FT line are a bit down due to his early season struggles. I'd probably say he's around 70-75%, which is good enough for me considering his two way ability.
In 2019 he's shooting .698% from the line. Perfectly fine for me considering his defensive ability, and the fact that he's shot .374% from deep in 2019 too
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2019, 11:00:25 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Pre All Star he was 68% from the FT line, post All Star he's at 67% from the FT. Over his last 10 games, he's seen an uptick to a whopping 69%.

For all of the flailing about Brad's coaching, you can't give the ball to Jaylen in a close game because he can't finish the game at the free throw line or worse, they may go to hack-a-Jaylen. Hopefully, Jaylen will work on his FT shooting this summer. Hopefully, Tatum will work on his ball-handling this summer as well - perhaps he even expands his post game beyond the spin move and the back down/over-the-shoulder shot.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

3/18/19 steven's is officially a liar and other observations of a dumb team
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2019, 11:02:29 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
pre game interview with Scal steven's claims "all yr. we've preached we're an attack the basket team... drive to the basket, get lay ups... 3's are the last option".

forget this season for a sec. but anyone watching this team since steven's got here knows that this team has never been a "get lay ups" team.

now back to this team specifically, anyone watching this team this season knows for a fact that simply isn't true. watch the replay of this Denver game, watch our tendencies our 1st thought is to get a guy a jump shot, we don't run pick n' roll's we run pick n' pops.

so are we to believe the players are just doing what they want out there? if that's the case then he really needs to go.

if this team is a "get lay ups" team they certainly don't look like a team that practices doing so, on the rare occasion we do go to the basket we don't look like we've been there before because we throw up some pretty weak flip shots that barely look like they'll make it above the rim.

if this team is a "get lay ups" team we certainly don't recognize the opportunities to drive to the basket.

if this team is a "get lay ups" team when the game was pretty much over with like 2-3 mins left but still had a miracle shot and we finally played with some urgency we came up with a steal kyrie had the ball and everyone ran to the 3 pt line and kyrie looked defeated like you guys are effin kiddin me...

and that right there is what this team and steven's has not learned - the jump shot/3's are great when you have momentum but trying to get back in the game shooting jump shots does the exact opposite.

i'm so disgusted.

other observations:

morris is a slug and should never complain to the young guys about defensive rotations with all the ones he misses.

it's a shame baynes is being wasted on this team. that guy has some of the best defensive positioning on the team... he changed the game when he came in.

kyrie had one really awful possession in the 1st qrtr.

we need to practice shooting 3's if we're going to continue being a "get lay ups" team.

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2019, 11:07:16 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Pre All Star he was 68% from the FT line, post All Star he's at 67% from the FT. Over his last 10 games, he's seen an uptick to a whopping 69%.

For all of the flailing about Brad's coaching, you can't give the ball to Jaylen in a close game because he can't finish the game at the free throw line or worse, they may go to hack-a-Jaylen. Hopefully, Jaylen will work on his FT shooting this summer. Hopefully, Tatum will work on his ball-handling this summer as well - perhaps he even expands his post game beyond the spin move and the back down/over-the-shoulder shot.
Gouki said this above, but I'm perfectly fine with 69% to close out games considering his two way ability.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Great stuff. SACK BRAD STEVENS
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Wow. He really said that?

Maybe he should let the players know that that's the gameplan

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2019, 11:16:42 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Gouki said this above, but I'm perfectly fine with 69% to close out games considering his two way ability.

Cut to the Celtics up 1 in a game, Jaylen goes to the FT and bricks one (or both), opposing team goes onto score. Then its: "wHy DiDn'T bRaD dO aNyThInG?!?!11"

I'm not saying Brad is perfect, but I'm tired of absolving everyone but Kyrie, Gordon or Brad for this team's issues. Seriously, I dare someone to point out what Jaylen, Jayson or Terry has added to their games ON A CONSISTENT BASIS since last year.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!
pre game interview with Scal steven's claims "all yr. we've preached we're an attack the basket team... drive to the basket, get lay ups... 3's are the last option".

forget this season for a sec. but anyone watching this team since steven's got here knows that this team has never been a "get lay ups" team.

now back to this team specifically, anyone watching this team this season knows for a fact that simply isn't true. watch the replay of this Denver game, watch our tendencies our 1st thought is to get a guy a jump shot, we don't run pick n' roll's we run pick n' pops.

so are we to believe the players are just doing what they want out there? if that's the case then he really needs to go.

if this team is a "get lay ups" team they certainly don't look like a team that practices doing so, on the rare occasion we do go to the basket we don't look like we've been there before because we throw up some pretty weak flip shots that barely look like they'll make it above the rim.

if this team is a "get lay ups" team we certainly don't recognize the opportunities to drive to the basket.

if this team is a "get lay ups" team when the game was pretty much over with like 2-3 mins left but still had a miracle shot and we finally played with some urgency we came up with a steal kyrie had the ball and everyone ran to the 3 pt line and kyrie looked defeated like you guys are effin kiddin me...

and that right there is what this team and steven's has not learned - the jump shot/3's are great when you have momentum but trying to get back in the game shooting jump shots does the exact opposite.

i'm so disgusted.

other observations:

morris is a slug and should never complain to the young guys about defensive rotations with all the ones he misses.

it's a shame baynes is being wasted on this team. that guy has some of the best defensive positioning on the team... he changed the game when he came in.

kyrie had one really awful possession in the 1st qrtr.

we need to practice shooting 3's if we're going to continue being a "get lay ups" team.

Yeah I don't buy this anymore. I thought once the C's improved the offensive talent his philosophy would finally start to shine. If anything it's been even more exposed.

Shorter playoff rotations should help but the C's are back to being a defensive team first that hopes guys don't go cold long enough to lose. Team had bigger expectations than that before the season.

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2019, 11:30:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Cut to the Celtics up 1 in a game, Jaylen goes to the FT and bricks one (or both), opposing team goes onto score. Then its: "wHy DiDn'T bRaD dO aNyThInG?!?!11"

I'm not saying Brad is perfect, but I'm tired of absolving everyone but Kyrie, Gordon or Brad for this team's issues. Seriously, I dare someone to point out what Jaylen, Jayson or Terry has added to their games ON A CONSISTENT BASIS since last year.
You know that JT, JB and Rozier have copped it from me this season with no discrimination ;)

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2019, 11:38:47 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Rozier should have been traded at the trade deadline.

Really hard to swallow that Ainge is making us wait for next season.

It is what it is.

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2019, 11:39:48 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
What a frustrating coach to see in action

Morris and Smart starting even though Brown should by now is unacceptable

Also Al Horford was exhausted with 3-4 min left. Just keeps relying on him like he is 25 years old

The ball also should be funneling through Tatum and Brown more and not only exclusively through Irving late in games

The offense is way too predictable (how to guard). It also congests everything close to Irving

Why he was much more successful in Cleveland? Because he had some room to work with

Tatum and Brown were awful tonight. Brown was deer in headlights on several defensive plays. Tatum couldn’t hit the side of a barn. Let it go.

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2019, 11:41:19 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
This could get worse as the next opponent is the Sixers.

Sixers already lost 3 straight to the Cs this season.

Can the Celts sweep the Sixers this season?

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2019, 02:25:14 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
Let’s see what he does with the playoffs before making any declarations. I think with days off and time to gameplan opponents, he will excel.
The only color that matters is GREEN