Author Topic: Why is Jaylen always getting yelled at?  (Read 5374 times)

Re: Why is Jaylen always getting yelled at?
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2019, 10:50:05 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Because Brown has an indifferent personality. His personality was a question when he was drafted and it still is a question. I don’t think Brown has great basketball 8nstincts and it shows.

Bingo

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2019, 10:54:33 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Jaylen has taken the role of

you want to sit me?

ok , I will do my thing off the bench

he passes but sometimes has tunnel vision to score

Smart should not be yelling/getting mad

then get mad at Morris for some of the dummy shots he takes etc.

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2019, 11:05:20 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
This was the latest example of someone yelling at Jaylen Brown, Smart was mad because Jaylen tried to go 3 on 1 when he was open in the corner:

https://twitter.com/chrisgrenham/status/1100575094416510976

Is there a consensus on whose in the wrong here?

What's the higher percentage shot, Jaylen with a layup/dunk, or Smart with an open 3?

Jaylen messed up with the charge, no doubt.  But attacking the hoop is good.  Wasn't really 3-on-1 either.  Brown easily went by Powell and McCaw wasn't in a position to affect the shot.

Part of the problem was Brown lost control of the ball when he drove past Powell (something we all know Brown needs to work on).

A spin move or euro step to get past Lowry likely gets Brown a wide open dunk/layup.  Being better at attacking the hoop (while in control) is something both Brown and Tatum need to work at to get to that next level, so not upset to see Brown trying it here (though to be fair, Brown/Tatum both need to work on their tunnel vision too).

Even if he passed to Smart, Brown still probably gets hit with the charge.  That drive by Brown is what got Smart open in the first place.

Brown failed to execute, but I think that was the right play by him.  Just needs some work on his ball control and finishing.

This is what I was thinking. It doesn't look like a bad decision by Brown, it looks like he either lost the ball or had it knocked away and then committed the charge trying to catch it. If he hadn't lost the ball, maybe he would've made the pass but he couldn't have made it before he lost control and then he lost control.

As fr Jaylen getting yelled at, where's my Leave Britney Alone! meme for Jaylen?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2019, 11:07:47 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
He’s a mistake prone player, on both ends of the floor.
- LilRip

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2019, 11:14:24 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
Like last years playoff run, give Jaylen the keys. I dont see Kyrie being able to carry, at least not with that bum Morris in the starting lineup.

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2019, 11:22:27 AM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Have not paid much attention to what has been written about the game, but somewhat related, was it just me, or when Jaylen threw a completely terrible pass to Theis, that went out of bounds, did he not immediately start b*tching at Theis to learn to catch?  I was watching with the volume off so did not hear the commentary.   Think it was second quarter maybe?   

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2019, 01:01:16 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Have not paid much attention to what has been written about the game, but somewhat related, was it just me, or when Jaylen threw a completely terrible pass to Theis, that went out of bounds, did he not immediately start b*tching at Theis to learn to catch?  I was watching with the volume off so did not hear the commentary.   Think it was second quarter maybe?   
Theis had a bad stretch there and missed catching a couple passes that went his way. One is okay but a few from different teammates is focus on Theis.

Why Brown is in the doghouse
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2019, 02:26:56 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
So I've wondered why Brown is always in the doghouse, and why his leash seems so much shorter than others.  Last night for example, only playing 19 mins after scoring 20+ in 3 straight games, as well as other instances throughout the year.  I've definitely wanted to see Jaylen get more minutes all season.

Well Jay King had a tweet today that maybe points out why.

https://twitter.com/ByJayKing/status/1107900985790423045

Jaylen Brown was beaten backdoor on the final play of the third quarter, then allowed this easy layup shortly into the fourth. Al Horford looked irritated as hell with the breakdowns when the Celtics called timeout.

And here's video of those plays:

End of 3Q play.

4Q play at 10:36.

Do Tatum and Morris make the same/similar mistakes?  Maybe, I don't watch a lot of the games that closely.  But that's the same mistake twice within about 90 in game seconds of each other.  I have to imagine somebody scolded Jaylen between quarters, only for it to happen again a minute later.

This probably cost him 5+ minutes of action in the 4th.

So maybe Brad knows what he's doing after all in regards to Jaylen's minutes.  ;)

Still would like to see Jaylen get more minutes, but having these plays pointed out to me, ya I get it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 05:09:13 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Re: Why Brown is in the doghouse
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2019, 02:30:00 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think you make good points, and it's correct to point out that Jaylen still makes a lot of mistakes.

I would also say, generally, that I don't think Jaylen is in the "doghouse," per se.  Rather, I think he gets less time than might be expected because he's simply not a particularly skilled player.

Brad likes having players out there who have the BBIQ and skill to make the right play on a regular basis.  Brown isn't there yet, despite his talent and physical ability.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2019, 02:36:40 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
So I've wondered why Brown is always in the doghouse, and why his leash seems so much shorter than others.  Last night for example, only playing 19 mins after scoring 20+ in 3 straight games, as well as other instances throughout the year.  I've definitely wanted to see Jaylen get more minutes all season.

Well Jay King had a tweet today that maybe points out why.

https://twitter.com/ByJayKing/status/1107900985790423045

Jaylen Brown was beaten backdoor on the final play of the third quarter, then allowed this easy layup shortly into the fourth. Al Horford looked irritated as hell with the breakdowns when the Celtics called timeout.

And here's video of those plays:

End of 3Q play.

4Q play at 10:36.

Do Tatum and Morris make the same/similar mistakes?  Maybe, I don't watch a lot of the games that closely.  But that's the same mistake twice within about 90 in game seconds of each other.  I have to imagine somebody scolded Jaylen between quarters, only for it to happen again a minute later.

This probably cost him 5+ minutes of action in the 4th.

So maybe Brad knows what he's doing after all in regards to Jaylen's minutes. ;)

Still would like to see more, but having these plays pointed out to me, ya I get it.

Shh... You can't say that.

But yeah, this is why Jaylen is always getting yelled at. It's one thing to get beat when you play solid defense, but he just zones out in the middle of plays far too often still. In the "Brad Stevens is not an elite coach" thread, there were a number of posters who think Jaylen is an elite defender so it doesn't matter if he shoots 69% from the free throw line (which makes it difficult to put him in a situation to close games). But think about it from the coach's perspective: you can't put the ball is in his hands down the stretch because he's a bad FT shooter, and he still isn't engaged all the time on the other end. That's a hard player to trust in the fourth quarter of a close game.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2019, 02:36:44 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Maybe because he's not doing what he's supposed to be doing?

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2019, 02:38:56 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Mistakes are going to happen every game by everyone. Kyrie has built a culture where they are publicly called out for it, his daddy LeBron taught him that.

Wrong.

Smart called him out during a timeout a couple years back before Kyrie got here.

Re: Why Brown is in the doghouse
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2019, 02:50:34 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Do Tatum and Morris make the same/similar mistakes?

Tatum does, fairly often.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2019, 03:18:54 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Like Brown a lot. Love to keep him if they trade Tatum for AD. But, last night he was awful.

I have watched the reply of the inbound play at the end of the third maybe 10 times and still have no idea what he was looking at. Wasn't looking at the ball being in-bounded  or the guy he was supposed to be guarding. He was just staring off in the other direction. Maybe he was checking to see if the IT video was going to be replayed. I truly have no idea. Than again he staring off into space and his man just cuts to the basket for an easy lay up. I certainly would have pulled him if I was the coach.

Everyone has a bad game and I'm not suggesting benching him, but last night I would have yelled at him.

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2019, 03:29:18 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
For such a smart guy, he’s a pretty dumb player. He makes too many mistakes and has similar lapses often.

I know he’s young and has the size, talent, and athleticism to be a great player, but he forces too much. His drives in the open court are pretty atrocious (either he gets stripped, kicks the ball out of bounds, or goes into the defense for a contested miss).

He’s got to play to his strengths and avoid his weaknesses. Of course that’s the case for 95% of the NBA, but he’s so good at some things and so bad at others. And he almost doesn’t seem to know which is which.
CELTICS 2024