Author Topic: Why is Jaylen always getting yelled at?  (Read 5378 times)

Re: Why is Jaylen always getting yelled at?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2019, 08:24:55 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
I don't really know why, but I know he looked really mad about it last night. I thought he was playing really well until that point and than not so much. I think he's a pretty emotional guy and does not take getting yelled at well. Some guys respond well to that and some don't.
For someone who takes so many awful shots, and complained that the team wasn't playing together after the game, Smart has a lot of nerve. While I understand it wasn't Brown's smartest play of the game, at least he was trying to play aggressive and go to the rim.
On a team full of guys who like nothing better than chucking up 3's, I find it refreshing.

This is exactly what Horford meant when he says guys need to move on to the next play. Noone threw a fit when Smart tossed a no look pass directly to a Raptor.

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2019, 08:34:34 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
This happens on every team. Kyrie got mad at Hayward, for instance.

It was an overreaction by Marcus here, but also a bad decision by JB.

JB has the ability to drive and finish, he just made a wrong read. Marcus and Morris, and even Kyrie, take bad shots all the time and noone throws a fit. Its clear that they are trying to keep Jaylen in the dog house because they know he is more talented, and chances are that they will never get their spots back if JB starts again. Morris is a Cancer to this organization, and never gets called out. Dont be upset if we lose JB to Atlanta.
... What? If Ainge doesn't want to lose Ainge he won't. He's not even a restricted free agent
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 08:36:05 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I don't really know why, but I know he looked really mad about it last night. I thought he was playing really well until that point and than not so much. I think he's a pretty emotional guy and does not take getting yelled at well. Some guys respond well to that and some don't.
For someone who takes so many awful shots, and complained that the team wasn't playing together after the game, Smart has a lot of nerve. While I understand it wasn't Brown's smartest play of the game, at least he was trying to play aggressive and go to the rim.
On a team full of guys who like nothing better than chucking up 3's, I find it refreshing.

I felt like that was the turning point last night. After that incident, which happened right as Toronto were starting their 2nd quarter run, the Celtics defense went to pieces. Then they played like a bunch of individuals after that. Smart speaks of togetherness, maybe yelling at someone like that isn't the best way to show togetherness. Leaders know that different people respond to different things - some respond to getting yelled at, others need the softer approach. I feel like Jaylen is more with the latter.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2019, 08:45:48 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This was the latest example of someone yelling at Jaylen Brown, Smart was mad because Jaylen tried to go 3 on 1 when he was open in the corner:

https://twitter.com/chrisgrenham/status/1100575094416510976

Prior to that there was also this a couple months ago with Morris after Jaylen was slow to run back on transition after missing a layup:

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1083561838107738112

Jaylen seems to get yelled at a lot. I don't see JT or Rozier getting yelled at anywhere near as much.

You answered your own questions. The first one he tried to go 3 on 1. The second he didn't get back on defense.

If you aren't doing you're job on every single play of the game you deserve to be called out. If JB is one of the young guys that keep getting called out in the media then he needs to start changing his attitude and effort.

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2019, 08:49:45 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
This was the latest example of someone yelling at Jaylen Brown, Smart was mad because Jaylen tried to go 3 on 1 when he was open in the corner:

Prior to that there was also this a couple months ago with Morris after Jaylen was slow to run back on transition after missing a layup:

Jaylen seems to get yelled at a lot. I don't see JT or Rozier getting yelled at anywhere near as much.

You answered your own questions. The first one he tried to go 3 on 1. The second he didn't get back on defense.

If you aren't doing you're job on every single play of the game you deserve to be called out. If JB is one of the young guys that keep getting called out in the media then he needs to start changing his attitude and effort.

He's not the only player making those types of mistakes though. I don't really see anyone else getting yelled at, certainly not to the extent that it happens to him.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2019, 08:56:50 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574

He's not the only player making those types of mistakes though. I don't really see anyone else getting yelled at, certainly not to the extent that it happens to him.

Was watching the other night, might have been Detroit. Irving thought he was fouled shooting a 3. Jogs back on D. No One says anything to him. Morris is constantly arguing with refs after plays instead of getting back. Smart last night throws a behind his head pass directly to Toronto player. Bad plays happen all the time, but for some reason Brown is the guy who gets yelled at.

Who knows why. Maybe the other guys on the team don't like him? Maybe he's a jerk in the locker room?

Whatever it is, he does seem to be unfairly picked on within the game.

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2019, 08:57:48 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I will take Jaylen drive to the basket over Smart for an open 3.

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2019, 09:03:48 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Jaylen should be starting. Period.

the start of the 1st:
Irving
Jaylen
Tatum
Horford
Center

Smart and Hayward in at about 8 minutes into the first for Irving and the Center.

and my god this team needs a center

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2019, 09:12:16 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
This happens on every team. Kyrie got mad at Hayward, for instance.

It was an overreaction by Marcus here, but also a bad decision by JB.

JB has the ability to drive and finish, he just made a wrong read. Marcus and Morris, and even Kyrie, take bad shots all the time and noone throws a fit. Its clear that they are trying to keep Jaylen in the dog house because they know he is more talented, and chances are that they will never get their spots back if JB starts again. Morris is a Cancer to this organization, and never gets called out. Dont be upset if we lose JB to Atlanta.
... What? If Ainge doesn't want to lose Ainge he won't. He's not even a restricted free agent

Im sure itd enter his mind if Brad refuses to make any lineup changes. He should have after the loss to the Lakers.

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2019, 09:15:03 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
The Celtics will turn it around when Baynes comes back. He really makes a big difference.

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2019, 09:41:41 AM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Because Jaylen makes a lot of bad basketball decisions, for someone so smart, he does not have a good basketball IQ.

Nothing unusual. Very bright person, high IQ off the Court, but stubborn and little bit lowe BBall IQ on the Court... at least so it seems sometimes.

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2019, 10:14:54 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Well he is young, but some of the guys doing the yelling are as guilty as everyone else of brain f---ts and not showing up to play every night.  I think it comes down to the mix of players on this team just not being right and you can see it when things aren't going well.

Jaylen does seem to overthink things at times though.

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2019, 10:15:09 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Mistakes are going to happen every game by everyone. Kyrie has built a culture where they are publicly called out for it, his daddy LeBron taught him that.

NOT true. Smart yelled at Brown in a timeout huddle a couple season back before Kyrie got here. Nice try.

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2019, 10:45:01 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Is there a consensus on whose in the wrong here?

What's the higher percentage shot, Jaylen with a layup/dunk, or Smart with an open 3?

Jaylen messed up with the charge, no doubt.  But attacking the hoop is good.  Wasn't really 3-on-1 either.  Brown easily went by Powell and McCaw wasn't in a position to affect the shot.

Part of the problem was Brown lost control of the ball when he drove past Powell (something we all know Brown needs to work on).

A spin move or euro step to get past Lowry likely gets Brown a wide open dunk/layup.  Being better at attacking the hoop (while in control) is something both Brown and Tatum need to work at to get to that next level, so not upset to see Brown trying it here (though to be fair, Brown/Tatum both need to work on their tunnel vision too).

Even if he passed to Smart, Brown still probably gets hit with the charge.  That drive by Brown is what got Smart open in the first place.

Brown failed to execute, but I think that was the right play by him.  Just needs some work on his ball control and finishing.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2019, 10:49:58 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Maybe someone should get mad at Irving

for trotting back on defense

in general he doesn't look like he gives a bs