Author Topic: Kyrie Makes All-NBA Second Team  (Read 7420 times)

Kyrie Makes All-NBA Second Team
« on: May 23, 2019, 03:02:21 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Irving averaged 23.8 points while shooting 48.7 percent from the floor and 40 percent from three-point range, adding 6.9 assists and five rebounds over his 67 regular season games for Boston.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/05/23/celtics-kyrie-irving-all-nba-second-team/

The second team consisted of Damian Lillard and Kyrie Irving at guard, Kevin Durant and Kawhi Leonard at forward and Joel Embiid at center.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26807913/giannis-harden-lead-all-nba-lebron-3rd-team
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Re: Kyrie Makes All-NBA Second Team
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 03:03:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Based purely on the raw numbers, he deserved it.

If one were to factor in something like what Bill Simmons talks about in his BBOB, i.e. "the secret," Kyrie's name doesn't belong anywhere near the All-NBA discussion.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 03:23:02 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622

If one were to factor in something like what Bill Simmons talks about in his BBOB, i.e. "the secret," Kyrie's name doesn't belong anywhere near the All-NBA discussion.

Please expand on "the secret".

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 03:24:19 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Oh PhoSita...

Really?

You're going to use Bill Simmons as your main source of reasoning?

Career highs in every category except PPG...
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 03:31:45 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
He was awesome in the regular season, including playing the best defense of his career. Easy to forget given what we saw the last four playoff games.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 03:34:54 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
Ok, this gives me a small glimmer of hope for Kyrie...This is a great video on Larry Bird. Obviously, Kyrie is no Bird but if you listen to the whole situation and they way he says it is so oddly parallel to this past year....crazy.. even down to the Bucks being involved. The whole video is great but hopefully, this link works. It is at the 19-minute mark...https://youtu.be/A1GBZuYLU7o?t=1135
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 03:36:43 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Yeah... I don't listen to Bill Simmons unless I need to punish myself for something, so this is like a different language to me.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 03:37:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Oh PhoSita...

Really?

Good for him and his bottom line

But did the team succeed?

Certainly not all Irving fault but his attitude/poor leadership/non spotlight sharing ways did not help

This nod also fattens his already big head.  For Irving to be truly successful in a team setting he needs to be paired with a team oriented alpha dog like Draymond, KG

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 03:39:05 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Yeah... I don't listen to Bill Simmons unless I feel like punishing myself for something, so this is like a different language to me.

Recency bias is pretty powerful and compelling, don't ya think?

Irving has one of his best statistical season, has one awful playoff series, and displays a lack of leadership and somehow people are content with letting an Allstar PG walk for free..

Oh PhoSita...

Really?

Certainly not all Irving fault but his attitude/poor leadership/non spotlight sharing ways did not help

This nod also fattens his already big head.  For Irving to be truly successful in a team setting he needs to be paired with a team oriented alpha dog like Draymond, KG

I made it clear before that since you're not even going to bother responding to my posts with any statistical evidence, and instead respond with unnecessary irrational biased thoughts; just like some other posters here who will not be mentioned.

I'm not getting into it. Take it as a win.

I'm done.

Tired of responding to your, "bUt hE DoEsN't mAkE tHe TeAM BeTTeR," played out ranting.

Saying he doesn't move the ball well enough doesn't count as a reason either, because there is plenty of ample proof that Irving not only lessened his USG %, but passed the ball more and averaged career high in assists along with assist to turn over ratio.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 03:46:05 PM by Monkhouse »

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 03:42:18 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Oh PhoSita...

Really?

All-NBA is not predicated on team success, so your argument doesn't really fit here.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 03:42:35 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Oh PhoSita...

Really?

Can you imagine being so desperate to dislike a player that you have quote an unreliable guy like Simmons (though I loved his book).

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 03:49:53 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

Oh PhoSita...

Really?

Can you imagine being so desperate to dislike a player that you have quote an unreliable guy like Simmons (though I loved his book).

James Harden and Chris Paul didn't go past the  second round and they were on the same team. Paul George and Westbrook are two top players that could get out of round one. The Sixers had an All Star team of players and didn't get past the 2nd round! Kyrie just needs a talent up grade around him. The young guys will get better and we will bring in more talent.

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 03:50:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

"Desperate to dislike" is an odd phrasing.  I'd love to like Kyrie.  What he did this year prevents me from doing so.

Simmons is not perfect, but his book was very good.  What he said about "the secret" was spot on.

"The secret of basketball is that it’s not about basketball."

"Fans overlook The Secret completely. Nobody writes about The Secret because of a general lack of sophistication about basketball; even the latest ‘revolution’ of basketball statistics centers more around evaluating players against one another over capturing their effect on a team. Numbers help, but only to a certain degree. You still have to watch the games. The fans don’t get it. Actually, it goes deeper than that—I’m not sure who gets it. We measure players by numbers, only the playoffs roll around and teams that play together, kill themselves defensively, sacrifice personal success and ignore statistics invariably win the title. We have trouble processing the ‘teamwork over talent’ thing. But how do you keep stats for ‘best chemistry’ and ‘most unselfish’ or even ‘most tangible and consistent effect on a group of teammates’? It’s impossible. That’s why we struggle to comprehend professional basketball."
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 03:51:13 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Oh PhoSita...

Really?

James Harden and Chris Paul didn't go past the  second round and they were on the same team. Paul George and Westbrook are two top players that could get out of round one. The Sixers had an All Star team of players and didn't get past the 2nd round! Kyrie just needs a talent up grade around him. The young guys will get better and we will bring in more talent.

Nah, Kyrie sucks.

Trade him for 3 second rounders, and call it a day.

Oh PhoSita...

Really?

People felt the same way about Rondo and IT.

Have to wager I think, this must be a Boston thing, I guess?

"Desperate to dislike" is an odd phrasing.  I'd love to like Kyrie.  What he did this year prevents me from doing so.

Simmons is not perfect, but his book was very good.  What he said about "the secret" was spot on.

"The secret of basketball is that it’s not about basketball."

"Fans overlook The Secret completely. Nobody writes about The Secret because of a general lack of sophistication about basketball; even the latest ‘revolution’ of basketball statistics centers more around evaluating players against one another over capturing their effect on a team. Numbers help, but only to a certain degree. You still have to watch the games. The fans don’t get it. Actually, it goes deeper than that—I’m not sure who gets it. We measure players by numbers, only the playoffs roll around and teams that play together, kill themselves defensively, sacrifice personal success and ignore statistics invariably win the title. We have trouble processing the ‘teamwork over talent’ thing. But how do you keep stats for ‘best chemistry’ and ‘most unselfish’ or even ‘most tangible and consistent effect on a group of teammates’? It’s impossible. That’s why we struggle to comprehend professional basketball."

Maybe if the team didn't suck so much, and we actually had more than one All-Star playing at an elite level, we might've actually done better? I don't know.... I'm just spitballing here.

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 04:01:15 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
For the sake of unity in the fan base Danny should sign and trade Kyrie. He divides the fan base.