Author Topic: Whoa. THIS Is The Kind Of "Help" Kemba Had In Charlotte  (Read 4968 times)

Whoa. THIS Is The Kind Of "Help" Kemba Had In Charlotte
« on: July 11, 2019, 06:41:37 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Here's a list of Kemba's all-time teammates in Charlotte by PPG:

Yeah, I know PPG isn't always the best stat to determine how good an NBA player is. But still, YIKES. Outside of a few seasons with Big Al Jefferson, Dwight and prime-Batum, he really didn't have much around him.

And then there's these kinds of games:

He was asked to do A LOT in Charlotte. Anyways, happy to have him here and I think the C's and Kemba will both do great next season, or at least a lot better than people anticipate  ;D

Kemba's stats may go down a bit but I think he'll be a great team player for us and become more efficient as well.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Whoa. THIS Is The Kind Of "Help" Kemba Had In Charlotte
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 06:56:40 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
TP. Talk about a man on an island by himself. Wow, no wonder he left a pile of money behind. He will flourish in Green and should be a fun team to watch.

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 06:59:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
3 of his top 4 teammates in PPG never even managed a whole season, and 2 didn’t even play 33 games.

Crazy how bad the teams he played on were.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 07:05:21 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Let's be fair though.  Are we sure at this time that Jaylen and Jayson are much better than those guys?  I know people are going to kill me for saying this but these guys are not proven yet.  One playoff run isn't enough.

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 07:09:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Let's be fair though.  Are we sure at this time that Jaylen and Jayson are much better than those guys?  I know people are going to kill me for saying this but these guys are not proven yet.  One playoff run isn't enough.
Yes, we are. Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum have both been better than all those guys besides Big Al and Dwight, and for all Dwight’s on-court ability he is unliked by almost everyone he plays with. Not to mention JT and JB have room to grow and will actually play games, unlike 32 games of Corey Maggette or overpaid Batum.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 07:10:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I mean, before Kemba the greatest player in Bobcats/Hornets franchise history was Gerald Wallace, and he and Kemba never played together.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 07:27:29 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Yes, we are. Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum have both been better than all those guys besides Big Al and Dwight, and for all Dwight’s on-court ability he is unliked by almost everyone he plays with. Not to mention JT and JB have room to grow and will actually play games, unlike 32 games of Corey Maggette or overpaid Batum.

Also, I'd argue that even Kanter could probably go ahead and be like in the Top-5 of this list after he starts with us for a season  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 07:33:34 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Good stuff TP.

Man, I love Jordan the player, but that franchise is miserable.

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 07:38:07 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

Agree.

It remains to be seen.

That's why I still prefer the Celts make one more move to acquire another star player.

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 07:57:32 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Really you’re comparing the Celtics players to the “help” Kemba got in Charlotte? It’s not even close even if you dismiss one playoff run. Come on.

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 08:09:51 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Not exactly how to structure this post in a cohesive way, but I've got a few main points I want to address and they might intertwine.

1.  First of all, Kemba definitely didn't have much help overall in his time in Charlotte.  Al Jefferson was not a great winning basketball player and Dwight was on his way down in his career.  Batum was a highly regarded player coming in though who never panned out, so that is a curious case.

2.  So Batum didn't flourish when he went there.  Charlotte also had a number of reasonable lottery picks this decade.  I have a theory on NBA draft picks that its not entirely about prospects being booms/busts themselves (although of course there are certainly exceptions), but rather if the franchise booms/busts in their development of the prospects.  Were all their top draft picks over the years -- MKG, Gerald Henderson, Kaminsky, Zeller -- just complete busts of NBA basketball players or did they never develop in part because of Kemba's playing style?  Or Charlotte's player development?  Is that also why Batum never flourished there?  Was there ever ONE player who flourished playing alongside Kemba?  Was the surrounding cast *that* bad... was Charlotte management was so incompetent they couldn't even get lucky enough to somehow stumble upon ONE good basketball player to put on the floor with Kemba in the past 8 seasons?

3.  I don't think Marvin Williams and Nic Batum going 1-3 and 0-4 from the floor in that Philly game are indicative of being bad players.  I think its indicative of a point guard not getting them involved in the game.  At least for me... if I'm only taking 3 shots in 27 minutes, that is likely affecting my defensive effort as well.  I know that's not a ringing endorsement of me, but there's a human element to that which can't be ignored.

I have hope to believe that Kemba will be a better fit here than Kyrie was.  I'm hopeful that he has trust in his teammates here and I think there was some reason to not have faith in his surrounding cast and management in Charlotte.  But I'm a little skeptical too that no other players seemed to get better when coming to Charlotte and playing alongside Kemba.  I genuinely have optimism that he will work out well in Boston's system, but I do carry a little bit of doubt that maybe Kemba's not exactly what we all hope/think he is.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 08:12:03 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
This team is by far and away the best he has ever played on, and he single handedly kept CHA in the playoff hunt.

It is going to be a nice break for him.

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 08:12:33 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Its insane how bad kidd Gilchrist is. Look up his stats and percentages

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 08:22:25 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Were all their top draft picks over the years -- MKG, Gerald Henderson, Kaminsky, Zeller -- just complete busts of NBA basketball players or did they never develop in part because of Kemba's playing style?  Or Charlotte's player development?

I will answer this because I think it is fairly simple:  Charlotte was not really getting "top draft picks."  Yes, those guys were CHA's top picks and often in the lottery, but it is not like they tanked hard a couple years and got Kemba some elite talents.

Most of the guys they have are, at best, good role players in the league.  Did Kemba stunt their growth in terms of reaching their maximum potential?  Maybe, but now they will have that chance I guess. 

Tatum and Brown are far superior talents, not to mention Hayward.

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 08:32:37 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
i knew they were bad , i never realized how much ...LOL ...very interesting.....man i would have left long ago ..LOL