Author Topic: Belichick uses no analytics whatsoever in his coaching  (Read 3006 times)

Re: Belichick uses no analytics whatsoever in his coaching
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 09:54:40 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
I think Belichick here is using an extremely narrow definition of analytics, and to say he doesn't use analytics to make decisions is absolutely laughable since that would mean he's doing everything on the fly and not analyzing the situation at all.

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 10:52:52 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
This is overblown. A math teacher in my high school is married to a Pats coach. He came in with the guy the Patriots hired to build their scouting software to give a talk, and let me tell you, they use numbers like crazy.

For example, they found a correlation between spin rate and quarterback success rate in the NFL. It's why they pursued Baker Mayfield (that rumor was true, apparently), but they were not interested in Lamar Jackson. Their database is state of the art, and they have made their own statistics that greatly influence their UDFA pickups (which have been highly successful).

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 12:14:20 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Maybe there's next to zero reliance in game on analytics and going by feel (which is perfectly reasonable) but I can guarantee you that coaching & scouting staff are using them off the field.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 12:42:47 PM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152
I think Belichick here is using an extremely narrow definition of analytics, and to say he doesn't use analytics to make decisions is absolutely laughable since that would mean he's doing everything on the fly and not analyzing the situation at all.

One could argue your definition is far far too broad.
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 01:32:20 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34

One could argue your definition is far far too broad.

Hardly my definition, just showing how ridiculous it is to think Belichick doesn't use analytics.  The article says he uses NO analytics whatsoever, which would include a broad definition.

Even something as simple as going for a passing play on 4th and 10 with the final play of the game when you're down by 6 is using "analytics."  You could go with a run, but that wouldn't be analyzing the situation at all.  Analytics would show kicking a FG in that situation, or trying to get the TD via a run would be a very low percentage success, which is basically what analytics is.

Also, the Patriots are notorious game planners.  Knowing other teams tendencies is absolutely part of analytics as well.

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 01:37:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I love it

Don Shula  way

Go with what your gut says works ,  know your talent .

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 05:44:20 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Let's be clear, Belichick did not say he did not use analytics, the question was about going for it on 4th down or going for 2 after a TD.  He said he didn't use analytics in that situation.  Of course he then basically said he used analytics when asked if he used his gut:

"I'm not saying it's a gut thing. It's an individual analysis based on the things that are pertinent to that game and that situation," he said. "I don't really care what happened in 1973 and what those teams did or didn't do. I don't really think that matters in this game -- or '83 or '90, pick out whatever you want."
Belichick then smiled and said, "It's not really my thing. And I like math, too, by the way."

The bold is clearly an analytical approach, he just doesn't use analytics from the past, but he absolutely analyzes the game situation and then plays the odds. 

Belichick was asked whether his view of players and their age has changed due to advances in conditioning, exercise science and nutrition.
"It's a really good question," he said. "Personally, I just try to take everything based on what I see, and not try to maybe read too much into other numbers and so forth. As you know, analytics is not really my thing. I don't know if there's any set formula or model for what it is today or what it was some other year. I'm sure you could go to some analytics person and they'd be able to give you a great numerical answer on that."
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 06:23:28 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
He has to be a big numbers guy in terms of trends and stats to predict team needs as he has been ahead of the league average but not a leader in game changing play style.  He also used numbers when advising the league in rule changes so he knows a lot of the games stats. Not believing in the numbers being used in game because of too many variables makes sense for football due to the scale.