Author Topic: How Do I Add Soccer To My Obsessions  (Read 6893 times)

How Do I Add Soccer To My Obsessions
« on: June 18, 2009, 12:15:58 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
It shouldn't be hard to do the above, since I absolutely love the World Cup.  I saw an A.S. Roma game in Rome.  Love the team colors and had passionate A.S. Roma supporting friends.
So I consider them my Euro team, even though they've been sucking, or have they been.

The hard part of adding soccer is my current lack of a television.  When I lived in Boston my buds would hit the North End for games they needed to see, but I assume it's now much easier to get a soccer package at home.

So let's assume I got a t.v. and a nice sports package via cable, etc...Is it worth watching the U.S. soccer league?  Should I become a passionate Revolution supporter?  How many U.S. team games are shown during non-World Cup years?

Any sugggestions?

Re: How Do I Add Soccer To My Obsessions
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 01:12:15 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
There is a soccer tv package but you get lots of bad games mixed in with good ones.  Depends on where you live, if you have a good local team go to every game you can, us sub pro leagues put out some good soccer.  Also a good college program is well worth going to again on where you live.  US pro league has a big range, I've watched some nice ball and some I've turned off

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 01:34:52 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Can`t you get a package with Spanish Primera or English Premiership instead of MLS?

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 01:39:03 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I love the World Cup, but I really don't care about any of the clubs and their championship leagues, etc. etc. I used to play soccer, but I hate watching it, unless it's the world cup. It's like Tennis for me, I hate watching the sport, unless it's a grandslam tournament...and since Agassi retired, I haven't watched much of them.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 01:59:50 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
You start by referring to it as "football" (we had it first guys) and then sit back, enjoy and join the party.

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 02:01:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
It shouldn't be hard to do the above, since I absolutely love the World Cup.  I saw an A.S. Roma game in Rome.  Love the team colors and had passionate A.S. Roma supporting friends.
So I consider them my Euro team, even though they've been sucking, or have they been.

The hard part of adding soccer is my current lack of a television.  When I lived in Boston my buds would hit the North End for games they needed to see, but I assume it's now much easier to get a soccer package at home.

So let's assume I got a t.v. and a nice sports package via cable, etc...Is it worth watching the U.S. soccer league?  Should I become a passionate Revolution supporter?  How many U.S. team games are shown during non-World Cup years?

Any sugggestions?

Funny. I've been a Roma fan since they had players like Batistuta and Cafu, but I didn't see a ton of their games thus year. That's an epically screwy club. Their owner is financially strapped so the go on the cheap compared to the other big clubs. They were banned from buying players for about a season and a half because they signed a player that was still under contract with a french club. They've had to play multiple league and champion league games in an empty stadium because of unruly fan behavior. All in good fun, though.

(Aside: that whole concept fascinates me. Can you ever imagine the nfl telling Kraft that he has to play a game with no fans allowed in the stadium because of poor fan behavior?)

I don't watch as much soccer as I like but I have goltv and fox soccer channel on comcast. Plenty of games from plenty of leagues. MLS games are on fox and espn, a couple of games a week. All of the Revs games are on tv38 or espn. The US national team is probably on tv about a dozen times a year. I've been going to Revs games (5-10 a year) with my kids since 1999 or so. I've seen the national team 10 or so times including 5-6 qualifiers and various Gold Cup games. Going to games is a good time but I daresay it's much less exciting or impressive than going to Stadio Olympico.

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 02:03:00 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
You start by referring to it as "football" (we had it first guys) and then sit back, enjoy and join the party.

They'll kill you if you call it football.

It's "futbol".

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 02:22:23 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

It's "futbol".

Or "fotbalol" or "fussball" - either way, it's a direct translation of "football". :)

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 02:27:06 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
Thanks for the replies!

Wonder if Italian league teams' exhibition in Foxboro will be a big draw....

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 03:26:03 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
The confederations cup this summer is fun to watch.

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 10:12:35 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

Any sugggestions?

Funny. I've been a Roma fan since they had players like Batistuta and Cafu, but I didn't see a ton of their games thus year. That's an epically screwy club. Their owner is financially strapped so the go on the cheap compared to the other big clubs. They were banned from buying players for about a season and a half because they signed a player that was still under contract with a french club. They've had to play multiple league and champion league games in an empty stadium because of unruly fan behavior. All in good fun, though.

(Aside: that whole concept fascinates me. Can you ever imagine the nfl telling Kraft that he has to play a game with no fans allowed in the stadium because of poor fan behavior?)

I don't watch as much soccer as I like but I have goltv and fox soccer channel on comcast. Plenty of games from plenty of leagues. MLS games are on fox and espn, a couple of games a week. All of the Revs games are on tv38 or espn. The US national team is probably on tv about a dozen times a year. I've been going to Revs games (5-10 a year) with my kids since 1999 or so. I've seen the national team 10 or so times including 5-6 qualifiers and various Gold Cup games. Going to games is a good time but I daresay it's much less exciting or impressive than going to Stadio Olympico.

Nice to have a fellow Roma fan on Celtics blog.  My year in Italy is the only year I really knew anything about them.  The game I saw in Stadio Olympico featured Totti, Cafu and another Brazilian whose nickname was Zago (forgot his real name).  I never became a big fan of the Italian National team, although I certainly like them and feel some connection to them.  But my World Cup teams are:  U.S., then Brazil, then whichever team I latch onto.

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 03:38:55 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

It's "futbol".

No, it's "football": Played with the feet.
We'll kill you if you call it "soccer"  ;D

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 05:53:17 PM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
If I wanted to see a bunch of euros flopping, I'd watch a Lakers game.  ;D

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 05:55:43 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

It's "futbol".

It depends on the crowd. My son's played on teams with central/south americans and Portuguese so their parents to prefer the "latin" pronunciation.

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 06:01:41 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!

It's "futbol".

It depends on the crowd. My son's played on teams with central/south americans and Portuguese so their parents to prefer the "latin" pronunciation.

I call it Nascar, guess I'm just confused.  :-\