Author Topic: 2014 Pick 2: General Commentary  (Read 260402 times)

Re: 2014 Pick 2: GENERAL COMMENTARY
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2014, 01:27:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
It is hard to try and guess what teams will be out there for me at 18.  I do think I should make out pretty solid and then with so many options in the following round, I think I will have a pretty solid team.  I just have to figure out if I'm going for the title this year or building a future dynasty.  Probably depend a bit on who is available for the franchise.

Im going for contention this year AND dynasty for the future.
Aldridge and Lillard is definitely a good start, but what you do in the latter rounds truly dictates your motives as everyone should have some pretty solid 1-5 for both the future and now. 

My problem is picking 18th is I miss out on pretty much all of the All-NBA guys so I have to go the Detroit Pistons method of team construction if I am going to win a title this season, so I may be better suited for the future dynasty approach.  I do have a couple of ideas that I am hoping works for me on that run.  Of course maybe some win now type guys slip to me and I can do both.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2014, 01:34:58 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
And we're not even half way through the first round and our first DKC mention ;)

That actually makes me mildly uncomfortable
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2014, 01:36:26 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Rerouting this conversation here:

Sorry for not making my pick I'm  at work good thing for auto pick
gotta send a list on these things.

And that wraps up the drafting for today. We'll resume in the morning. For now, I'm locking the draft thread.

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2014, 01:37:12 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
Ughhh and Nick ends the day by stealing my pick.

Cool. Whatever. I don't care...
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2014, 01:40:21 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
It is hard to try and guess what teams will be out there for me at 18.  I do think I should make out pretty solid and then with so many options in the following round, I think I will have a pretty solid team.  I just have to figure out if I'm going for the title this year or building a future dynasty.  Probably depend a bit on who is available for the franchise.

Aldridge and Lillard is definitely a good start, but what you do in the latter rounds truly dictates your motives as everyone should have some pretty solid 1-5 for both the future and now. 

My problem is picking 18th is I miss out on pretty much all of the All-NBA guys so I have to go the Detroit Pistons method of team construction if I am going to win a title this season, so I may be better suited for the future dynasty approach.  I do have a couple of ideas that I am hoping works for me on that run.  Of course maybe some win now type guys slip to me and I can do both.

Yeah its definitely hard picking in that slot. You dont get the all nba guys that teams build there championship runs around. You'll have a well balanced, lot of talent team, but no one star that can take over the games when they need a win. Might be able to package a couple overall talent guys for a number one however. Never know how these things will shake out.

« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2014, 01:40:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Hey AB, just noticed that I'm locked out of the Draft thread--read only.  not that I have anything to post but I just want to verify this is something that can be cleared up by tomorrow.

« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2014, 01:41:33 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
Ughhh and Nick ends the day by stealing my pick.

Cool. Whatever. I don't care...

Thought about taking them at 6 just due to Anthony Davis... Couldnt justify the second keeper more than Portland however.

« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2014, 01:42:43 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Hey AB, just noticed that I'm locked out of the Draft thread--read only.  not that I have anything to post but I just want to verify this is something that can be cleared up by tomorrow.

I'm locking it during off-hours. Trying to keep it so that the only posts in there are selections. It'll be unlocked again tomorrow morning.

« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2014, 01:45:26 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Yeah its definitely hard picking in that slot. You dont get the all nba guys that teams build there championship runs around. You'll have a well balanced, lot of talent team, but no one star that can take over the games when they need a win. Might be able to package a couple overall talent guys for a number one however. Never know how these things will shake out.
it's not as bad as one might think, especially this year.  I'm 19th and thinking I'm in a prime spot.  There's easily 10 teams left that have at least 1 stud player to build with if not 2.  not to mention having the 2nd pick each round (barring trades) with an extra 10 teams to pick from is pretty sweet. 
the only downfall is that those extra 10 teams help the players with a top team get a good player this year.  normally another 20 top players would be off the board for them as well as picking 10 slots later so 30 top players, in all, would be off the boards for their picks normally.

« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2014, 01:46:40 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I'm locking it during off-hours. Trying to keep it so that the only posts in there are selections. It'll be unlocked again tomorrow morning.
thanks - just wanted to check.

« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2014, 01:49:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Davis is right now, a top 10 player in this league. I couldn't pass up on a top 10 player, regardless of who the other player would be. Sometimes in these games, you just can't trade for a talent of Davis' ability without sacrificing two other great players or very good draft position, so he was the pick more than the team or the second player.

« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2014, 01:57:15 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
I think Davis is right now, a top 10 player in this league. I couldn't pass up on a top 10 player, regardless of who the other player would be. Sometimes in these games, you just can't trade for a talent of Davis' ability without sacrificing two other great players or very good draft position, so he was the pick more than the team or the second player.

Can't argue with that.

If you hadn't taken him, I would of.
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2014, 02:17:21 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Can't argue with that.

great team to snag at #10.  surprised they didn't go sooner.  had them higher than SAS particularly for Davis although I may have kept Holiday over Gordon

« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2014, 02:30:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Can't argue with that.

great team to snag at #10.  surprised they didn't go sooner.  had them higher than SAS particularly for Davis although I may have kept Holiday over Gordon
Trade value...Holiday may have been the pick if he wasn't injured for the year. Gordon is healthy and with no salaries, he will be easier to move for more value than a hurt Holiday ever would have been.

« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2014, 02:34:17 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

Can't argue with that.

Also can't argue with that. I too would have taken Holiday just due to the injury concerns I have with Gordon and the fact that I just don't really like his game.