Author Topic: Ken Berger: Cs have called about Lowry;LAC and MInn frontcourt help;Asik to stay  (Read 14216 times)

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Ken Berger of CBS Sports had some interesting tidbits today that either directly impact the Cs or tangentially.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/24396660/asik-staying-put-for-now-and-more-nba-trade-buzz

1.According to Berger, the Cs are among teams to call the Raps about acquiring Kyle Lowry.

For the "trade Rondo" folk, this should be some food for thought or fuel for your fire or one of those metaphors.

2.Both the Clips and the TWolves are actively seeking frontcourt help. We've got that for them. What do they have that we want?

3. It looks more and more like Asik stays put:

Word is the Rockets now expect to keep center Omer Asik past next month's deadline and beyond. The team ramped up efforts to create a market for Asik last month because it believed that was the most realistic window to get a deal done. Now, Houston is caught in a bit of a no-man's land.

“Teams that are tanking don't want him to make them better and winning teams want to steal him,” one rival GM said.

Don't trust Morey as far as I can throw him, so I don't know what this means, but it does make some kind of sense.

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Yeah, we were discussing Lowry earlier:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=68869.0

I don't think it'd necessarily be a precursor to a Rondo trade. Ainge is all about stockpiling assets.

As for the Clips and TWolves looking for frontcourt help (Bass?), not sure what they could come up with.

Edit: not sure why the Wolves need frontcourt help, unless they need a backup C. Cunningham and the Fresh Prince can both play minutes at PF.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The Asik thing sounds like more gamesmanship via the press by Houston.  Morey's not gonna give up on a trade with 6+ weeks to go.  They're just trying to talk up the market.

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

I don't think it'd necessarily be a precursor to a Rondo trade. Ainge is all about stockpiling assets.

As for the Clips and TWolves looking for frontcourt help (Bass?), not sure what they could come up with.

Edit: not sure why the Wolves need frontcourt help, unless they need a backup C. Cunningham and the Fresh Prince can both play minutes at PF.

Thanks Lucky,....+1 shoulda checked......

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

No worries. Check out the discussion there, there were some good points on Ainge potentially using the TE in a Lowry deal.

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
The Asik thing sounds like more gamesmanship via the press by Houston.  Morey's not gonna give up on a trade with 6+ weeks to go.  They're just trying to talk up the market.

That's a good point, FWF.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Are Rockets' sources using Berger to try to create leverage?

The "Asik is staying" argument doesn't make a lot of sense to me, with the Rockets having to pay him $15 million next year.  I do agree that his contract will make him harder to deal next year, which is why I expect he'll be dealt this year.  (Teams just don't pay $15 million for their backup centers.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

The "Asik is staying" argument doesn't make a lot of sense to me, with the Rockets having to pay him $15 million next year.  I do agree that his contract will make him harder to deal next year, which is why I expect he'll be dealt this year.  (Teams just don't pay $15 million for their backup centers.)

Factor in Jeremy Lin's poison pill of $15mill and the Rox ownership will be paying two bench players $30 million? Yeah right.

It doesn't matter if it doesn't all count against the cap, ownership isn't paying all that.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Celts seem to be making an awful lot of calls and yet seem to be coming up with literally nothing to show for it.

Hope their phone bill isn't too expensive.

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Yesterday I started a thread speculating that DA was pushing a trade or showcasing based on playing time. KO got very few minutes while Humph got over 20.

Now this story comes out about Minn and LAC looking for front court help.

Interesting stuff, those rotations made no sense other than showcasing humph for teams.

I wonder if Humph continues to get more minutes tonight.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

No worries. Check out the discussion there, there were some good points on Ainge potentially using the TE in a Lowry deal.

That scenario would be good for us as we'll as Ujiri's seeming penchant for expirings (Hump /Bogans)

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
If expirings can get Lowry, how about Humphries and Crawford for Lowry and Fields.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mc59mxe

We own Fields for an extra year, but getting Lowry for expirings might be worth it ANDit would put us an extra 2 mil under the luxury tax to give Ainge more room to maneuver.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Yes, there's a certain "cutting your nose off to spite your face" aspect to keeping him, especially if he's not playing.

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74

That is what it sounds like. I can see there being very little market for Lin but Asik is still a productive defensive-minded center and there will always be a market for that. Asking for a 1st round pick is probably too high a price (mostly due to Asik's contract). I imagine they will wait until a playoff team gets an injury at center. That is probably the maximum leverage they can get at this point since every team know Asik is unhappy and looking to be traded.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I get that Danny is into collecting assets, but trading for Lowry wouldn't make much sense unless the plan is to trade Rondo.

Lowry costs too much to be a backup; won't be able to get return on the investment unless he's starting.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain