Author Topic: Meek mill  (Read 2922 times)

Meek mill
« on: May 04, 2018, 10:59:22 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Can anyone give me a short summary of who this guy is and what’s the story is about?
Thanks
TPs guaranteed

Re: Meek mill
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 11:08:18 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He is a rapper who has been arrested numerous times. His crimes include illegal possession of a firearm, assault on an officer, and drug trafficking. Since then, he’s had several probation / parole violations.

Despite that (or because of it) he’s become a local hero in Philly.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 11:21:54 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Tp , thanks .
I thought I missed something about how and why he became a hero.

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 11:26:14 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
From what I understand, his latest sentence was due to popping some wheelies while on probation.  And apparently he was on probation for an inordinate amount of time (5 years?).  Many people feel the judge is out to get him and has treated him unfairly (for whatever reason) and that indeed may be the case.

But yeah, he's made a lot of his own issues.

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/why-did-meek-mill-go-to-prison/
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 11:31:41 AM by droopdog7 »

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 11:31:27 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
He is a rapper who has been arrested numerous times. His crimes include illegal possession of a firearm, assault on an officer, and drug trafficking. Since then, he’s had several probation / parole violations.

A couple more details: He is a rapper who was arrested at 18 years old for illegal possession of a firearm and assaulting a police office. He was given probation for this incident. Conclude what you will about the severity of the incident.

At 20, he was arrested for drug dealing and possession of a firearm. He was sentenced to 11-23 months in prison and was released on the early side under a 5-year parole agreement.

He has since had issues with violating his probation, mainly for not reporting travel plans. He also was arrested in St. Louis after an altercation with pedestrians, which led to his most recent summons, arrest, and imprisonment. However, details emerged shortly thereafter about the prosecuting judge's questionable behavior. He was released a couple weeks ago.

There's no question he has broken the law in the past. But I think he is also the face of what many Philadelphians (and Americans) see as a greater need to police the conduct of law enforcement. 

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 11:41:15 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Yeah, the justice department has been very unfair to him *rolls eyes*.

Idiocracy is just around the corner, boys.

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 12:04:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

A couple more details: He is a rapper who was arrested at 18 years old for illegal possession of a firearm and assaulting a police office. He was given probation for this incident. Conclude what you will about the severity of the incident.

At 20, he was arrested for drug dealing and possession of a firearm. He was sentenced to 11-23 months in prison and was released on the early side under a 5-year parole agreement.

He has since had issues with violating his probation, mainly for not reporting travel plans. He also was arrested in St. Louis after an altercation with pedestrians, which led to his most recent summons, arrest, and imprisonment. However, details emerged shortly thereafter about the prosecuting judge's questionable behavior. He was released a couple weeks ago.

There's no question he has broken the law in the past. But I think he is also the face of what many Philadelphians (and Americans) see as a greater need to police the conduct of law enforcement.

Right. Drugs, multiple assaults, illegally owning firearms, repeatedly ignoring court orders..: It must be somebody else’s fault.

Up here in Maine, it’s extraordinarily rare that somebody who had 4+ probation violations wouldn’t be fully revoked.  I don’t see the injustice. The judge may have some weird techniques, but her sentences seem sound.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 12:16:37 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

you forgot to mention he makes terrible music

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 12:39:08 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff

Right. Drugs, multiple assaults, illegally owning firearms, repeatedly ignoring court orders..: It must be somebody else’s fault.

Up here in Maine, it’s extraordinarily rare that somebody who had 4+ probation violations wouldn’t be fully revoked.  I don’t see the injustice. The judge may have some weird techniques, but her sentences seem sound.

I don’t know where I said it was someone else’s fault. I just was saying he likely, as a famous person, is representative of a larger issue. Therefore many people are latching on to his story even though he’s broken the law in the past.

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 12:49:54 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
apparently he and robert kraft go way back. i think they grew up together or something. they're best buds.  i can see why. 

not really.

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 01:17:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I don’t know where I said it was someone else’s fault. I just was saying he likely, as a famous person, is representative of a larger issue. Therefore many people are latching on to his story even though he’s broken the law in the past.

What larger issue, though? That career criminals end up in jail?

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 01:58:59 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff

On March 14, the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office filed a response to Meek’s petitions, stating “there is a strong showing of likelihood of the Petitioner’s conviction being reversed (in whole or in part).” The D.A. cited testimony from an officer whose prior testimony against corrupt cops resulted in hundreds of conviction reversals.

Corrupt cops. The original arrest apparently should not have gone down the way it did. I'm definitely not going to die on the "Meek Mill is Innocent of All Crimes!" hill. But he's a famous person who was arrested by a corrupt cop. I'm sure the corruption of law enforcement has impacted thousands of people in Philadelphia.

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 02:04:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

On March 14, the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office filed a response to Meek’s petitions, stating “there is a strong showing of likelihood of the Petitioner’s conviction being reversed (in whole or in part).” The D.A. cited testimony from an officer whose prior testimony against corrupt cops resulted in hundreds of conviction reversals.

Corrupt cops. The original arrest apparently should not have gone down the way it did. I'm definitely not going to die on the "Meek Mill is Innocent of All Crimes!" hill. But he's a famous person who was arrested by a corrupt cop. I'm sure the corruption of law enforcement has impacted thousands of people in Philadelphia.

Right. There’s no evidence the corrupt cop did anything improper in this case, though, nor was the cop involved in his various other crimes.  There were two officers involved in the arrest, which involved MM pulling a Sig Sauer on officers.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 02:10:47 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 02:12:51 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff

Right. There’s no evidence the corrupt cop did anything improper in this case, though, nor was the cop involved in his various other crimes.

In the above quote I provided, the DA acknowledges that "there is a strong showing of likelihood of the Petitioner's conviction being reversed (in whole or in part)." It seems strange that the District Attorney's Office would make such a claim based on "no evidence" whatsoever.

Either way, it doesn't seem worth parsing out any more. The reason people care about this situation is twofold:

(1) He's famous
(2) There is a history of corruption in law enforcement in Philadelphia (and elsewhere) that some feel warrants attention and fixing.

It seems like you're having trouble separating the corruption of law enforcement with the guy's questionable behavior generally.

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 02:16:16 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

I don't understand this one. In a vacuum, I usually take the side of the defendant. Multiple news outlets said that he had multiple instances of disobeying court orders. This sounds like someone that doesn't respect the gravitas of the US legal system. I would be shocked if he violated probation again.

Of course I don't know every detail, but from 10,000 ft view, this guys seems to be lacking humility. Yes, the judge had inappropriate comments and its weird that she checked up on him at community service. That being said, he was arrested on a gun charge (big deal) and violated probation 5 times. He was later arrested twice more, including an altercation at an airport.

I don't mean to sound too judgy, but I've been to the airport a bunch of times, and I've never come close to getting into an altercation. At risk of sounding out of touch, it seems like this dude wasn't as afraid of getting arrested as I would be.