Author Topic: John Wall wants changes in Washington  (Read 5515 times)

Re: John Wall wants changes in Washington
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 12:28:55 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
That Porter contract is brutal. I can't believe they gave him that. Nice player but not for that money.

That was an RFA tender match right?
I think that was the case. If I remember right, it was Brooklyn who offered Porter that

Yep, Brooklyn dodged one that time.

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 12:38:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
That Porter contract is brutal. I can't believe they gave him that. Nice player but not for that money.

I think that was the case. If I remember right, it was Brooklyn who offered Porter that

Was a really classic Brooklyn move, offering a max contract to a guy drastically below max tier
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2018, 12:40:40 PM »

Offline Larry for 3

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 30
  • Believe in Boston

I actually like Porter and think he’s better than it seems. I mean he’s on a team with 2 huge ball hogs who never look for him, he’s so underutilized. When 2 guys won’t pass you the ball ever it looks worse than it is. That contract is not the greatest but is not as bad as say Evan Turner’s. If I was a teams with space I would try and pry him out of Washington .
"They forgot about Larry Bird"--- Danny Ainge, 1987

"What happened to the Lakers??!!"--- Wyc Grousbeck, 6/17/08

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2018, 12:49:30 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

I actually like Porter and think he’s better than it seems. I mean he’s on a team with 2 huge ball hogs who never look for him, he’s so underutilized. When 2 guys won’t pass you the ball ever it looks worse than it is. That contract is not the greatest but is not as bad as say Evan Turner’s. If I was a teams with space I would try and pry him out of Washington .

Talent and skill is not the issue with Porter.  I get the casual Jeff Green vibe from watching him play.  Paul Pierce even spoke about his lack of drive during their time as teammates in 2015.  I agree that it isn't the worst contract in the world but I don't think he will ever realize his true potential.

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2018, 01:11:42 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Was a really classic Brooklyn move, offering a max contract to a guy drastically below max tier
Porter would have been a great fit on Brooklyn though.

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2018, 01:13:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
They should try to do a sign and trade with New Orleans for Boogie.

New Orleans needs better depth and Washington needs a third major piece.  Boogie would be a major gamble, but it could placate Wall.   Something like Oubre-Morris-Gortat for Boogie on a one or two year deal.

Would ruin depth on an already shallow team, but Wall - Beal - Porter - Cousins could work well (assuming Boogie comes back somewhere close to where he was prior injury), even if the rest of the roster is rookie contracts and vet minimum guys.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2018, 01:13:28 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
Cousins makes sense, but they will be in the tax and thus can't acquire him in a sign and trade.  So if New Orleans signs him and then waits out the waiting period, they could then trade essentially Cousins for Porter, which I actually think would make a lot of sense for both teams.  The Pelicans need a quality wing like Porter, who can defend, but doesn't kill their offense.  I think Mirotic is a better fit next to Davis, so that seems to work out as well on that end.  For the Wizards, Cousins is the inside outside center they need.  He is friendly with Wall, so their shouldn't be issues there.   

This is actually a win-win for both sides.  Nice core for both squads. 

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2018, 01:13:39 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Porter would have been a great fit on Brooklyn though.

Porter would be a great fit on many teams that don't have the selfish John Wall on it. That leaves out OKC also.

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2018, 01:16:57 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Does this mean they bring back JaVale McGee?  ;D

In all seriousness, who's available, as far as an athletic big? And could they afford him?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2018, 01:24:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Bye bye, John. Bet you don't see that change coming.

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2018, 01:27:07 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Wizards kinda reminds you of the old Atlanta Hawks where they are always stuck in mediocrity.

Make playoffs and then get bounced early or in the middle. Hardly an appearance in the East Finals.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2018, 01:32:18 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Does this mean they bring back JaVale McGee?  ;D

In all seriousness, who's available, as far as an athletic big? And could they afford him?

now why did you have to say " Javale Mcgee". ....now that bleeping ear bug Beetles song " Hey Javale McGee what did you see?  ...will be stuck in my head all week.....dang it.

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2018, 01:34:07 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
They should try to do a sign and trade with New Orleans for Boogie.

New Orleans needs better depth and Washington needs a third major piece.  Boogie would be a major gamble, but it could placate Wall.   Something like Oubre-Morris-Gortat for Boogie on a one or two year deal.

Would ruin depth on an already shallow team, but Wall - Beal - Porter - Cousins could work well (assuming Boogie comes back somewhere close to where he was prior injury), even if the rest of the roster is rookie contracts and vet minimum guys.
I would think NOP would look for someone like Porter in return. Not sure if sign & trade would work in that scenario.

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2018, 05:07:28 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
The Change should be him. They played great without him. I do not believe he will get a contract again from the wiz. Yes Gortat is not the greatest athlete but i don't know any franchise player throwing team mates under the bus. He is not a leader IMO.  I feel for Scott Brooks and Bradley Beal.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2018, 05:14:03 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Wall is basically immovable at this point, which makes it harder. He's also a couple of years older than Beal, which furthers the problematic nature of the situation.

Giving Ian Mahinmi and Otto Porter such stupidly large contracts will really make it hard for them to make any significant moves anytime soon. Badly managed team, and Wall doesn't seem like the right guy to be leading them (doesn't seem like a leader at all)

Not really.  Any player with borderline All-Star talent can be moved.  We saw that with Carmelo last season, and he sucks.

I do not think WAS will get a great return, but I could see a number of teams that would jump at adding John Wall.  The Lakers come to mind (if they sign Paul George).  Phoenix could use a good PG.  The Knicks make sense too.