Author Topic: John Wall wants changes in Washington  (Read 5516 times)

John Wall wants changes in Washington
« on: April 29, 2018, 10:12:58 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/john-wall-says-wizards-should-upgrade-from-marcin-gortat-ian-mahinmi-you-need-athletic-bigs/

Looks like Wall is already sounding off about his desire for changes in Washington.  He isn't wrong about their need for athletic big men but he should keep that stuff to himself.  The supporting cast in Washington is no more flawed than any other non-elite team.  I blame Wall's terrible perimeter shooting for their playoff woes.  He has shot 26% from three in 37 playoff games.  How can they expect to close out opponents when he shoots like that? 

Beal can only do so much and Otto Porter lacks the drive to be a great player.  Pierce expressed concern over Porter living up to his potential back in 2015.  Looks like his concerns were warranted.

The Wizards have zero flexibility in the off-season with $126 million committed to next years roster.  Expect more of the same from Washington unless management is willing to make dramatic changes.  This most likely would mean addition by subtraction.   

Re: John Wall wants changes in Washington
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 10:24:49 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
That team played better without Wall. Needs to look in the mirror.

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 10:33:59 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton

They did well for a while but then fell apart without him towards the end.  The Wizards were 5-12 in their last 17 games without Wall.  They lost 7 of the last 8.  In principal you are right though. 

Their commitment to sharing the ball significantly increased without Wall.  I really like Bradley Beal's overall offensive game.  At only 24 years old he would be the ideal player for Washington to keep through a rebuild.  Unfortunately for them he is also the only player that could get them significant value in the trade market.  Not sure how they could move Wall's supermax deal.

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 10:41:05 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Wall is basically immovable at this point, which makes it harder. He's also a couple of years older than Beal, which furthers the problematic nature of the situation.

Giving Ian Mahinmi and Otto Porter such stupidly large contracts will really make it hard for them to make any significant moves anytime soon. Badly managed team, and Wall doesn't seem like the right guy to be leading them (doesn't seem like a leader at all)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 10:46:34 AM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
Bradley Beal, Kelly Oubre and Macin Gortat  for Kawhi Leonard and salary filler.  Who says no?

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 10:49:34 AM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Trade Wall and build around Beal. 

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 10:52:48 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Pretty amazing the we don’t have one bad contract on our team !

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 11:12:10 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552

They did well for a while but then fell apart without him towards the end.  The Wizards were 5-12 in their last 17 games without Wall.  They lost 7 of the last 8.  In principal you are right though. 

Their commitment to sharing the ball significantly increased without Wall.  I really like Bradley Beal's overall offensive game.  At only 24 years old he would be the ideal player for Washington to keep through a rebuild.  Unfortunately for them he is also the only player that could get them significant value in the trade market.  Not sure how they could move Wall's supermax deal.

I would definitely look to move Wall this offseason.  There should be a desperate GM that would be enticed by the Wall star power.  When his supermax money begins in 2019, he really won't be tradable.  Maybe to Suns for picks or Charlotte for Kemba. 

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 11:12:37 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
Trade Wall and build around Beal.

This is the right decision in an ideal world.  The problem is that Wall's supermax deal will kick in at an average of $40 million per year starting in 2019/20.  You don't make a trade for Wall unless you are certain of the potential for title contention.  To build a contender you would need to face extremely stiff luxury tax implications.  Early playoff exits can't happen once the repeater tax kicks in.

I tried to come up with a few trade ideas for teams who might bite.  I'm operating under the assumption that any smart franchise won't value Wall's supermax contract.  Wall would also need to be convinced in any deal.  Who would take on the contract if Wall expresses frustration?

1.  Bucks sign and trade Jabari Parker in a deal for Wall.  Not sure what the other pieces would be but I've seen crazier things happen.  If I'm the Wizards I would want Brogdon in the deal.

2.  Timberwolves sign and trade Wiggins for John Wall.  They might want to take a shot with a core of Wall, Butler, and Towns. 

I tried but that's all I could come up with.

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 11:14:10 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
That Porter contract is brutal. I can't believe they gave him that. Nice player but not for that money.

That was an RFA tender match right?

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 11:15:55 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
i expect Wiz to sign Cousins in some sort of deal , that will hang them in the long run with bad contracts or draft picks.

I guess they need to do something .

BTW .....good as wall is ...... When Uncle Drew is healthy ,  no way I want Wall over Kyrie

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 11:17:30 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton

I would definitely look to move Wall this offseason.  There should be a desperate GM that would be enticed by the Wall star power.  When his supermax money begins in 2019, he really won't be tradable.  Maybe to Suns for picks or Charlotte for Kemba.

Wall's opinion will carry too much weight with $40 million per year right around the corner.  These are his prime years and teams like the Hornets have no way to build a competent roster around him. 

I could definitely see a team like the Suns diving in.  They have the assets to make it work.  Maybe Wall would be open to playing with Booker and Josh Jackson.

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 11:18:42 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

True ....the so called experts called it a fluke

Im not so sure ,  Wall is another Westbrooke freak athlete looks world killer on the fast break ,  who may not be the best fit on a five man team .   I question boths court IQ top 50 .  One on one scorers yeah , do they make their team great ....nope.

Basketball is still a team sport , not just iso ball

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 11:52:26 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
That Porter contract is brutal. I can't believe they gave him that. Nice player but not for that money.

That was an RFA tender match right?
I think that was the case. If I remember right, it was Brooklyn who offered Porter that
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 11:59:25 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Cousins makes sense, but they will be in the tax and thus can't acquire him in a sign and trade.  So if New Orleans signs him and then waits out the waiting period, they could then trade essentially Cousins for Porter, which I actually think would make a lot of sense for both teams.  The Pelicans need a quality wing like Porter, who can defend, but doesn't kill their offense.  I think Mirotic is a better fit next to Davis, so that seems to work out as well on that end.  For the Wizards, Cousins is the inside outside center they need.  He is friendly with Wall, so their shouldn't be issues there.   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip