Author Topic: Donovan Mitchell was the steal of the draft  (Read 1952 times)

Donovan Mitchell was the steal of the draft
« on: April 28, 2018, 11:06:45 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Fultz who? Mitchell was the best PG from the 2017 draft class

Nuggets and 10 other teams must be kicking themselves in the head

38 Points game 6. Utah beats OKC, advances
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UjbcmzmUsU

Re: Donovan Mitchell was the steal of the draft
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 11:11:34 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
He is certainly done way better than Tatum. But he is also older.

I still like Tatum"s potential as he is taller and is still going to improve leaps and bounds... Mitchell on the other hand looks like he has peaked early.. Very similar game to that of Westbrook or Oladipo.. Will need ball in his hand to succeed.

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 11:18:42 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I still like Tatum"s potential as he is taller and is still going to improve leaps and bounds... Mitchell on the other hand looks like he has peaked early.. Very similar game to that of Westbrook or Oladipo.. Will need ball in his hand to succeed.

You think in a year Tatum will grow , to the point he can hit 38 pts in a game 6?

Not sure about this.  Tatum will get better but Mitchell is closing in as one of the best top 10 pgs in the league.  I mean imo he is already better than Conley, Schroeder... no surprise if he leapfrogs Lillard, Wall

Just has so many different ways to score. Strong.  Topnotch D as well.

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 11:31:31 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

You think in a year Tatum will grow , to the point he can hit 38 pts in a game 6?

Not sure about this.  Tatum will get better but Mitchell is closing in as one of the best top 10 pgs in the league.  I mean imo he is already better than Conley, Schroeder... no surprise if he leapfrogs Lillard, Wall

Just has so many different ways to score. Strong.  Topnotch D as well.

Good player, but he’s not really a PG, let alone a top-10 one.

As for his comparison with Tatum, he scored about 6 more points on 7 more attempts per game.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 11:36:42 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 11:37:29 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
He has been super impressive-

Hard to know how many points Tatum would be scoring in that situation with out as good as a supporting cast and another year and a half of seasoning to his age. Tatum is not the first scoring option here and yes, in 1.5 years, if they were switched, I absolutely believe Tatum could score like that against a swiss cheese defender on him who is also only trying to put up big numbers.

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 12:22:42 PM »

Online perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
Not to diminish anything Mitchell's accomplished, because he's had a truly amazing season, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in the same category as Tyreke Evans - a talented player who peaks early then sort of tapers off. Still think guys like Tatum, Fultz, Jackson have more potential and will ultimately have better careers.

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 12:24:29 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

How in the world can you think that a freak athlete rookie of Mitchell’s age and character has peaked?  That’s crazy!  Did Dwyane Wade peak as a rookie?  In the playoffs he has been better than Westbrook and Oladipo (who is still improving).

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 12:27:35 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Would you have said the same thing last year about Jaylen Brown?

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 12:28:58 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Donovan would get hyped a lot more on this site if he played for Philly. Small market unfortunately. Could have been great for Brooklyn near where he grew up to get that team out of the tankathon.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 12:40:38 PM by rondofan1255 »

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 12:29:55 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
He looks for real, but too early to rank this excellent rookie class. Fultz tatum ball mitchell, collins, markanen, fox any of them could be the best player in the class in a few years.
But tatum and mitchel are ahead of the curve right now
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 12:30:52 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Not to diminish anything Mitchell's accomplished, because he's had a truly amazing season, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in the same category as Tyreke Evans - a talented player who peaks early then sort of tapers off. Still think guys like Tatum, Fultz, Jackson have more potential and will ultimately have better careers.

This narrative is totally wrong. Mitchell as a rookie is already a much better 3 point shooter than Evans and a much better defender. Also, Evans never lead a team to a playoff series win, ever. Mitchell has already done that in his rookie year.

He's a special player.

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 12:40:19 PM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Has very impressive talent and production.

I see him as just another Steve Francis or Brandon Roy. Injury-prone type of players.

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 01:34:41 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

This narrative is totally wrong. Mitchell as a rookie is already a much better 3 point shooter than Evans and a much better defender. Also, Evans never lead a team to a playoff series win, ever. Mitchell has already done that in his rookie year.

He's a special player.

Agreed.  Mitchell reminds me so much of Wade when he slashes to the rim.  The fact that he is  excelling as the go to option on a playoff team is even more impressive.  I feel like doubters on this forum want to convince themselves that Tatum was still the better pick.  The reality is that both Utah and Boston hit home runs in the draft.

Ultimately we have no way of knowing who will be the better player.  The likely scenario is that both become perennial All-Stars on winning teams for years to come.

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 01:36:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Has very impressive talent and production.

I see him as just another Steve Francis or Brandon Roy. Injury-prone type of players.

I don't see that comparison

more like a Dwade with a jump shot

Basketball Gods gifted Utah for losing Hayward

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2018, 07:30:09 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

He's a special player.

Agreed.  Mitchell reminds me so much of Wade when he slashes to the rim.  The fact that he is  excelling as the go to option on a playoff team is even more impressive.  I feel like doubters on this forum want to convince themselves that Tatum was still the better pick.  The reality is that both Utah and Boston hit home runs in the draft.

Ultimately we have no way of knowing who will be the better player.  The likely scenario is that both become perennial All-Stars on winning teams for years to come.

That's pretty much my perspective as well. Both were fantastic picks. We don't have to downplay one to justify the other.