Author Topic: BOSTON GLOBE: Brad Stevens needs to make some changes in his approach  (Read 7246 times)

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1227
I’d love to see Kevin Mc Hale, KG, or even Scal to get one of those assistant coach slots.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I’d love to see Kevin Mc Hale, KG, or even Scal to get one of those assistant coach slots.
Not sure KG is interested in coaching, but agree 100% about the other two. I actually thought McHale was good in Houston until Harden back-stabbed him.

They might be too happy being broadcasters, but hopefully not!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Not sure KG is interested in coaching, but agree 100% about the other two. I actually thought McHale was good in Houston until Harden back-stabbed him.

They might be too happy being broadcasters, but hopefully not!

I would love to see any of the two Kevins' in a coaching position. Love them both!

As for Scal, he can stay behind the announcing desk.

Another guy who would be a good assistant (if he accepted the position) would be Dave Joerger.

I don't think he's a bad coach and if he would accept an assistant position, he would be a welcomed addition as well.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
You'd have to either not be paying attention or be related to Brad to not recognize how bad he was this year.  Totally in over his head.  He'll get more opportunities, but I have zero faith in this guy.  His offensive scheme sucks, he doesn't read his player's emotions well, and it's entirely possible he may have already lost a good portion of the lockerroom, which could be a problem if some of those same players return.

Brad has some soul searching to do this summer.

total nonsense.   he will learn and improve.   just like he always has.
What part of it is nonsense?

And what exactly has he “learned and improved” from? He’s still making the same in-game decision-making mistakes that he was in his rookie year. Really the only difference about the last few years has been the level of talent he had available.

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Brad Stevens needs better players.

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Perk is interested on coaching job. Get him as an assistant coach. He would provide a steady lockerroom presence and leadership. Both the OKC and Cavs locker room respected the guy. I don't think it will be different here, especially when he helped Celtics win their first championship in 22 years.

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
The more you look into this season and the things that went "wrong", the more it's clear Kyrie Irving isn't at fault for any of it.

Mediocre roster that overachieved in 2018.   The fool's gold "success" got to the head of the young guys.  Players were sulking from Day 1, because they weren't "the man" anymore.

At the end of the day, they didn't have nearly enough talent to compete with a team like the Bucks.  Anyone who says otherwise is still leaning on the false narrative that we had multiple all-stars on this team.   

We had 1.  Kyrie Irving.  That's it.  49 wins and a 1st round exit makes perfect sense.

Sure, if you post your exact narrative enough times in enough threads it'll take hold and become truth.
It is true. 

A team of Dame Lillard, Rudy Gay, Marc Gasol and Trevor Ariza isn't beating the Bucks either... so why on earth would people expect a team of Kyrie, Tatum, Horford and Hayward to?

This was a mediocre roster.  It remains a mediocre roster.  If Kyrie leaves, it will be a roster that could win 35 games.   Fans blaming him don't have perspective on this team.  They overreacted to us going on an improbable playoff run, expected the world, and now blame Kyrie because it's easier than accepting reality.

If we sign Draymond Green, Klay Thompson, Ben Simmons and Khris Middleton together and underachieved, you'd be the first to jump on the ship that "This team is not talented enough.".

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
You'd have to either not be paying attention or be related to Brad to not recognize how bad he was this year.  Totally in over his head.  He'll get more opportunities, but I have zero faith in this guy.  His offensive scheme sucks, he doesn't read his player's emotions well, and it's entirely possible he may have already lost a good portion of the lockerroom, which could be a problem if some of those same players return.

Brad has some soul searching to do this summer.

total nonsense.   he will learn and improve.   just like he always has.
What part of it is nonsense?

And what exactly has he “learned and improved” from? He’s still making the same in-game decision-making mistakes that he was in his rookie year. Really the only difference about the last few years has been the level of talent he had available.

As a pa native and log time steeler and nittany lion fan I can tell you this type of sit back and let the players figure it out coaching. Will not work when you have good talent on your team.  The egos get in the way and unchecked, it will foil what coulda been a special season.  Matter of fact just happened in Pittsburg this year.  No coach should need a former vet player to do the job he’s paid to do which is to manage his players.  He can’t do that then maybe he’s not the man for the job. 

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I read this story on the tweets the other day, and commented on it in one of the other threads.

I think what Washburn was alluding to is not only is there not enough NBA experience on the coaching and front offfice staff, there isn't enough  African American presence, especially with McCarty and Strawberry leaving. The NBA is 85% African American players, and the Celtics' staff needs more African Americans on the staff for better communication with the African American players.

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I read this story on the tweets the other day, and commented on it in one of the other threads.

I think what Washburn was alluding to is not only is there not enough NBA experience on the coaching and front offfice staff, there isn't enough  African American presence, especially with McCarty and Strawberry leaving. The NBA is 85% African American players, and the Celtics' staff needs more African Americans on the staff for better communication with the African American players.

lol We need to get rid of Kyrie Irving.

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

lol We need to get rid of Kyrie Irving.

There's a million and one Kyrie threads. Why not go to them if you're not going to add anything to this discussion?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
So, if Stevens is surrounded by a better coaching staff next season and a more balanced line-up, then he should have a better year.

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2019/05/11/brad-stevens-needs-make-some-changes-his-approach/82LNh1GhYrEBIHwnOdP08O/story.html

Some interesting tidbits:
It wasn’t that the coaching staff was unaware of these issues, according to team sources; it was that they really didn’t know what to do about it.

Stevens, who has allowed the players to police themselves in the past, swooped in too late to solve the issues. Some players blamed him for integrating Hayward into the starting lineup without giving more regard to the feelings of Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum.

Stevens has loaded his staff in past years with Butler disciples, young coaches skilled in analytics but not necessarily how to handle millennial NBA players.

I think most Cs fans (including myself) agree that putting Hayward in the starting lineup right way was a big mistake.

Anyone could see that was an issue - especially since Gordon wasn't ready. It reminds me of a Jackie Mac piece from earlier in the season where she said multiple players were unhappy with Gordon taking minutes from them when he was playing badly.

For me, it comes back to Stevens not clearly defining roles.
The thing is most of you guys here were screaming "HURR DURR 30 MILLION BENCH PLAYER" when a few others including me advocated for Hayward to come off the bench. It was very obvious that Hayward likely wouldn't be ready, and that letting him round into form off the bench with low pressure and expectations would be the better option.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Brads job was definitely tough this year, it was his 1st season that he didn't graduate with A+.

Did Pop get any bad rep after mishandling Kawhi situation? No, Pop defended his franchise and his medical staff that almost ruined his career with consecutive misdiagnosis. And Kawhi is better player than anyone Brad (maybe even Doc) ever had?
He was supposed to lead them for 10 more years, but they mishandled it.
That's a huge blunder. Now they are without any elite talent and it shows.
How about mishandling LMA for 2 years? He admitted the failure himself.
How about not being able to give instructions to your team (intentional foul) on the brink of playoff exit this year?
He gave up on that play.
What about his defensive rebounding in 2013, when he sat Duncan, and it cost them a title?

What I'm trying to say is that all coaches, even the very best, have their challenges.
Brad just had more this year than just about anyone in the league.
He did't ace them, but that doesn't make him a bad coach.
He owned his share of the failure, he is aware of the situation.

People like to point fingers in one or two directions. I guess to simplify, even though it was clearly a collective disappointment.
He will learn and so will our much more proven management.
Pop also mismanaged Dennis Rodman and failed to implement a stylw of play that could've played to Robinson's strengths (it should've been a high tempo run and gun offense with him at the elbows or perimeter a bit more to drive inside and draw fouls with his insanely high FT rate).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The more you look into this season and the things that went "wrong", the more it's clear Kyrie Irving isn't at fault for any of it.

Mediocre roster that overachieved in 2018.   The fool's gold "success" got to the head of the young guys.  Players were sulking from Day 1, because they weren't "the man" anymore.

At the end of the day, they didn't have nearly enough talent to compete with a team like the Bucks.  Anyone who says otherwise is still leaning on the false narrative that we had multiple all-stars on this team.   

We had 1.  Kyrie Irving.  That's it.  49 wins and a 1st round exit makes perfect sense.

I mean I generally agree with your points but they won 55 games last season.  Mediocre rosters do not win 55 games in the NBA, then win in the 40s.
They played at a 48 win pace down the stretch without Kyrie.