Celtics Basketball > Celtics History

Would we have beaten OKC in the 2012 Finals?

(1/3) > >>

celts10:
I was watching highlights of the Big Three's final playoff run to the 2012 Eastern Conference Finals the other day and it got me thinking. If we were able to seal the deal against the Heat, is it safe to say we would have beaten the Oklahoma City Thunder in the 2012 NBA Finals?

It's one of those hypothetical scenarios which looking back now would have been pretty sweet to watch (Pierce on KD, Rondo on Westbrook, and of course KG on Perk). Despite being older, I believe we had the experience, coaching, and championship mentality in order to put the Thunder away for our last hurrah together. It also makes you think about how different the offseason would have been. Maybe Ray would have decided to ultimately stay in green as the sixth man.

SparzWizard:
That OKC team was really something though. I don't know if Bradley can contain Harden. And then the C's had guys like Keyon Dooling, Greg Stiemsma, Ryan Collins as their bench players lol. KG was playing out of his mind in that run. Too bad the refs robbed them of Game 2 against the Heat, ugh. Still upset about that.

OKC would've had home-court advantage anyways in a 2-3-2 format. But I think if C's can steal Game 2, they win the series in 5 or 6 close games.

Donoghus:
I've always thought that the Celtics would've really struggled against OKC if they had made the Finals in '12.   They were an awful matchup for the Celtics & had beaten the C's both times that season.    I think our vets would've struggled with their youth & athleticism. 

I think OKC would've won in 5 or 6 games.

gpap:
I think we would've.

At the time, the Thunder were still sorta the new kids on the block in the playoff picture.

The Celts were more battle tested.

They would've taken OKC, which would've been the perfect way to end the big 3 era.

Sadly, game 6 happened vs. Miami in the ECF.

Will never forget.

mctyson:
It is really annoying that this team was just 4th quarters away from NBA Finals appearances in '12 and '18.

And we will not talk about '10.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version