Author Topic: Olympic Basketball  (Read 51235 times)

Re: Olympic Basketball
« Reply #135 on: August 12, 2012, 01:31:59 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
Hands down the best Olympics for basketball we've had. Not sure how many watched the non-USA games, but the quality of play has dramatically improved in the past 4 years. 2016 will be tough.

Great post, TP.

The talent level is definitely on the rise around the world.  Spain, France, Brazil, Russia, Argentina, and Lithuania all boast pretty impressive talent pools. I am definitely looking forward to 2016.  It will be tough to attain gold, but the quality of basketball is on the rise.

And what does everyone think of Sergio Llull?  I became impressed by his defensive ability and tenacity.  The Rockets bought his rights for $2.25 million, the most ever paid for a 2nd Round pick.  Unsurprising, since Morey is great at accumulting assets.  Yet surprising, as Llull does not play the PF position.

I love Llull! What a tough bulldog of a player. Reminds me a lot of Hinrich.

From what I can find, the Rockets expect him to come to the NBA in 2013-2014.  He will make for an interesting addition to their team, along with two potential lottery picks (Toronto's pick and their own).  What an interesting team.

« Reply #136 on: August 12, 2012, 01:32:41 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Congratulations Team USA... Should of beat them by 20 (I wish)!

But gotta give props to Spain!
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #137 on: August 12, 2012, 01:51:46 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
Everyone jumping on board "oh herp derp, they'd easily beat the dream team". Sure. The dream team won the GOLD MEDAL ROUND by 47 points. FORTY SEVEN. This team barely squeaked one out against 2 Gasols and a handful of others. Seriously, this team would not stand 1 chance against the original (and only) Dream Team.

« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2012, 01:55:03 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Everyone jumping on board "oh herp derp, they'd easily beat the dream team". Sure. The dream team won the GOLD MEDAL ROUND by 47 points. FORTY SEVEN. This team barely squeaked one out against 2 Gasols and a handful of others. Seriously, this team would not stand 1 chance against the original (and only) Dream Team.

They won the gold by 32 - are you looking at the Tournament of Americas results?

And I don't know where you're getting this from - the only people making the comparison here are saying the original bunch would crush this team.

I don't really care about the 92 comparisons - that was an incredible team but the competition has improved sharply since then.  Great game by Spain but the US was up for the challenge.  Excellent run by a very talented bunch.

« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2012, 11:34:31 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
the current team would get demolished by the 92 dream team.

sad to say, but i was actually rooting for spain.  this USA team had a lot of players i dislike (lbj, kobe, melo, cp3)

« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2012, 12:15:04 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I must admit, as much as I hate Lebron James, I have to give the man credit for his interview after winning. The reporter asked him what a great year it was for him, winning the MVP, championship and the gold and what that means. His response was along the lines that none of that matters because this is all about the letters across his chest, USA. That was very mature and very unselfish of him for not thinking of him first, basically very un-Lebron like.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2012, 12:18:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I must admit, as much as I hate Lebron James, I have to give the man credit for his interview after winning. The reporter asked him what a great year it was for him, winning the MVP, championship and the gold and what that means. His response was along the lines that none of that matters because this is all about the letters across his chest, USA. That was very mature and very unselfish of him for not thinking of him first, basically very un-Lebron like.
Actually that is pretty much how Lebron always is.  Look at all his post game interviews, in the wins he spreads credit around and in the losses he generally takes on the brunt of the blame. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2012, 01:28:19 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur