Author Topic: Phil Kessel Officially a Toronto Maple Leaf. Pierre LeBrun reports...  (Read 9924 times)

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4485942

I think it's a good deal, Phil is an excellent scorer but overall is a one sided player. The Bruins are still on their way forward by getting tougher and improving in the Defensive Zone.

Re: Kessel to toronto?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Well, apparently this deal finally got done:

The drama surrounding Phil Kessel has finally come to an end as the Boston Bruins have traded their disgruntled sniper to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for a 1st and a 2nd round pick in 2010, and a 1st round pick in 2011 pending a trade call which is currently underway.

Kessel and the Maple Leafs then quickly agreed to terms on a new five-year, $27 million deal.

I would have preferred to see the Bruins get an impact player back; while two #1s and a #2 isn't bad value, most hockey prospects take years to contribute, if they ever do.  The Bruins need to win now.

It's too bad the sides couldn't come to an agreement; 5 years, $27 million doesn't seem outrageous for a player of Kessel's offensive talent.  I guess it was all chemistry / attitude in the end.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 09:31:54 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald

The drama surrounding Phil Kessel has finally come to an end as the Boston Bruins have traded their disgruntled sniper to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for a 1st and a 2nd round pick in 2010, and a 1st round pick in 2011 pending a trade call which is currently underway.

Kessel and the Maple Leafs then quickly agreed to terms on a new five-year, $27 million deal.

I would have preferred to see the Bruins get an impact player back; while two #1s and a #2 isn't bad value, most hockey prospects take years to contribute, if they ever do.  The Bruins need to win now.

It's too bad the sides couldn't come to an agreement; 5 years, $27 million doesn't seem outrageous for a player of Kessel's offensive talent.  I guess it was all chemistry / attitude in the end.

He always scored goals but it seemed like he was the odd man out. He's a small finesse player on a team thats marketed as the "Return of The Big Bad Bruins."

Re: Phil Kessel Officially a Toronto Maple Leaf. Pierre LeBrun reports...
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 09:43:09 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i dont recall many folks labeling the bruins ownership as "generous."

while i hope the draft choices work out, it will be years away.

i hope they will be able to make up the offensive production, but not sure how.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 12:24:53 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Not being a Hockey fan.... I just assume it's bad news that the only Boston player i've heard of is now gone.

Wasn't he like 20 years old or something? 

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 12:35:13 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
Not being a Hockey fan.... I just assume it's bad news that the only Boston player i've heard of is now gone.

He's the Eddie House of The Bruins, but he's marketed as the Paul Pierce.

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 12:36:29 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
i dont recall many folks labeling the bruins ownership as "generous."

while i hope the draft choices work out, it will be years away.

i hope they will be able to make up the offensive production, but not sure how.

They're right at the cap and would need to dump off a player/players to resign him. Now that he's gone almost the whole team plays two way hockey and can stick up for themselves. Blake Wheeler and the return of Marco Sturm will easily makeup for Phil, and then some.

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 02:46:37 AM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95

He's the Eddie house if house was throwing in 25 a night.  Someone needs to put the puck into the net.  Now they are relying on Sturm and Kobasew to stay healthy and for Wheeler to make a big jump.  Hopefully they do but it's a big risk. 

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 08:28:26 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

If Eddie House was our leading scorer. ;)

Somebody needs to score goals.  However, if Toronto finishes in the bottom-10 again this year, this trade has a chance of paying off.  I just think it's very likely that none of those draft picks ever yield a guy as good as Kessel, regardless of whether he generally plays only one way.  (Also, I think that "one way hockey" thing is overblown.  He played a much more physical season last year, and was throwing around checks in the playoffs even with a bad shoulder.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 10:11:56 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Somebody needs to score goals.  However, if Toronto finishes in the bottom-10 again this year, this trade has a chance of paying off.  I just think it's very likely that none of those draft picks ever yield a guy as good as Kessel, regardless of whether he generally plays only one way.  (Also, I think that "one way hockey" thing is overblown.  He played a much more physical season last year, and was throwing around checks in the playoffs even with a bad shoulder.)

This has Joe Thornton written all over it. While I agree that two firsts and a second is decent compensation, it's not like the NBA where top picks are almost guaranteed to contribute- it's more like MLB. I am in agreement with you Roy that the Bruins do need to win now. This kid has tons of potential. I guess now I have to root against him in order for the Bruins to get higher picks...

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 10:37:03 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

I totally agree with you Roy.  I wish the Bruins could have gotten someone to contribute this year but otherwise I think the Bruins got good value if the Maple Leafs finish in  the bottom ten again this year and hopefully we can get a rookie that will be able to produce right away but like you said in hockey prospects take years to contribute.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 12:46:36 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
I'm reading a lot of "The Bruins need to win now" stuff. I don't agree with this. Even if this is how you are thinking, you should like this deal even more.

They have Bergeron, Ryder, Krejci, Sturm, Kobasew, Chara, Wideman, Hunwick, and Thomas signed through at least 2011. Many others are young and under restricted free agent control, including Bitz, Lucic, Wheeler, Rask, and Stuart.

The Bruins management since Chiarelli has arrived has shown a total willingness to spend the money necessary to win in the NHL, as shown by winning the bidding wars for Chara and Blake Wheeler, and ponying up for Savard, Thomas, Krejci, and Michael Ryder.

Some hockey prospects take time to contribute, certainly, but others don't. It all depends on who you get and what you're looking for.

However, if the Bruins (with their 4 first round picks in the next two years) decide there are too many projects in the 2010 or 2011 drafts, then they have assets they can send away at the trade deadline for an expiring contract. 30 guys this year have expiring contracts and had at least 40 points last year, and a partial list of expirings is below:

Ilya Kovalchuck, Nicklas Lidstrom, Patrick Marleau, Paul Kariya, Evgeni Nabokov, Scott Niedermayer, Sergei Gonchar, Olli Jokinen, Marty Turco, Kim Johnsson, Pavel Kubina, Paul Martin, Alexander Frolov, Pavol Demitra, Milan Hejduk, Ray Whitney, Fredrick Modin, Mike Van Ryn, Lee Stempniak, Thomas Holmstrom, Brendan Morrison, Jere Lehtinen, Mike Comrie, Kyle Wellwood, Richard Park, Derek Armstrong

That massive list is only about half the serviceable players the Bruins could target and go after with one of those picks. Need a center? Marleau, Jokinen, Demitra, etc. High scoring wing? Kariya, Kozlov, Frolov, Holmstrom, etc. Everything's there... Defensemen, scorers, goaltenders. Instead of having Kessel's big contract and his all offense, no defense style, you can take those assets and get basically whatever type of player you need/want for them.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 01:44:04 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald

This has Joe Thornton written all over it. While I agree that two firsts and a second is decent compensation, it's not like the NBA where top picks are almost guaranteed to contribute- it's more like MLB. I am in agreement with you Roy that the Bruins do need to win now. This kid has tons of potential. I guess now I have to root against him in order for the Bruins to get higher picks...

You just compared Phil Kessel to Joe Thornton... :o

Phil Kessel is a very good scorer, Joe is a good scorer and an EXCELLENT set up man. The Joe move was becuase they didn't wanna pay a high contract, this is becuase they didn't feel he deserves what he's asking AND they don't think he's a key part of the team. I'm sure they also feel that some of those goals were great passes by the all-star center he was playing with.

But either way let me say that i'm very excited to be discussing the B's on Celticsblog. Usually these just fizzle out.  ;D

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 02:13:35 PM »

Offline jv2764

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 27
Good trade for both sides.  Now the B's have ammunition come the trading deadline in March to pick up an elite player to put them over the top.  You cant be paying Kessel more than Savard so in essence the B's got what they could and cut ties with Kessel.

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
You cant be paying Kessel more than Savard so in essence the B's got what they could and cut ties with Kessel.

The difference is that Savard is 32 years old, and Kessel is 22; in any contract for Kessel, you're paying him a bit for his future potential, and where you hope he'll be in three years.