Author Topic: All Star Game just became so gimmicky as to be unwatchable  (Read 17309 times)

Re: All Star Game just became so gimmicky as to be unwatchable
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2020, 07:04:16 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I was watching the early 2000s version and it was so much fun than the recent years. It was still high scoring, but defense was being played. Kobe and Tmac in particular went at each other, with the other trying his best to stop the other guy.

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2020, 07:11:11 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Meh the only big change is the +24 ending in the fourth once the first three quarters are done.

The details are weird, but oh well. I don't watch the all-star game closely anyways. I usually read a book while having it on to see the Celtics play.

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2020, 09:51:02 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I quit watching many years ago.  One of my last memories was when a bunch of of players kept trying to get a soon to be retiring player the MVP.  And he was.  The game is rigged, its just an exhibition and no way in hell do the players break a sweat.  I have better ways to be entertained.

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2020, 09:24:47 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I’ve watched 6 minutes of the Rising Stars challenge.  It’s not a serious game at this point.

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2020, 09:36:00 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I’ve watched 6 minutes of the Rising Stars challenge.  It’s not a serious game at this point.

I've always found the Rising Stars game boring ever since. Even going back to late 90s and early 2000s when I started following the game diligently and the main game was still exciting, the Rising Stars game was very much uninteresting for me.

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2020, 10:26:04 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
hard to believe anyone still watching anything they put out on all-star weekend.

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2020, 10:33:04 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1806
I'm not watching! Still not watching!
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2020, 10:33:47 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1806
hard to believe anyone still watching anything they put out on all-star weekend.
I'm not watching!
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2020, 10:37:20 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I don't care...I just want everyone to stay healthy.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2020, 10:47:40 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I watched the Rising Stars game for about 30 seconds and had to turn it. Almost zero D. Pickup games are more interesting to watch.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2020, 11:28:23 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

I watched the Rising Stars game for about 30 seconds and had to turn it. Almost zero D. Pickup games are more interesting to watch.

I haven't watched an all star weekend I think it was when bird was still playing... It's not good,

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2020, 01:28:33 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I haven't watched an all star weekend I think it was when bird was still playing... It's not good,
that's about the last time I watched one as well

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2020, 01:55:55 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I still watch Saturday night (although I can’t remember the last time I was impressed with the festivities, other than excited for Celtics winning events), but I haven’t really watched the games in quite some time.

The gimmicks like team captains and whatever are very lame. East vs West, the best vs the best. Let’s see who’s better. But those days appear to be over. I understand not treating it like a playoff game, but I’m sure there’s more defense played in practices league-wide.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2020, 08:46:56 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I still watch Saturday night (although I can’t remember the last time I was impressed with the festivities, other than excited for Celtics winning events), but I haven’t really watched the games in quite some time.

The gimmicks like team captains and whatever are very lame. East vs West, the best vs the best. Let’s see who’s better. But those days appear to be over. I understand not treating it like a playoff game, but I’m sure there’s more defense played in practices league-wide.
Yeah, I might catch the Skills Challenge tonight, which at least shows off all-around basketball talent.  I remember being impressed by KAT who won it a few years ago.

The 3-pt contest and dunk competition are pretty useless.  I'll catch the highlights later on.

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2020, 10:51:36 PM »

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Aaron Gordon was robbed yet again of the slam dunk title. He jumped over Tacko Fall in his last dunk and everyone including the panel thought it was over. Apparently not!