Author Topic: Evan Turner a buyout candidate  (Read 6469 times)

Re: Evan Turner a buyout candidate
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2020, 09:30:52 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I'd rather have him over Javonte Green.
green is averaging 7.8 minutes a game, and many of those are garbage time minutes.

what leads you to believe that turner would like to return to the celtics when his minutes would be very limited since he would be playing behind tatum, brown, and hayward?

he is most certainly not a ball handler, so he would not replace wannaker.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2020, 09:50:38 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
green is averaging 7.8 minutes a game, and many of those are garbage time minutes.

what leads you to believe that turner would like to return to the celtics when his minutes would be very limited since he would be playing behind tatum, brown, and hayward?

ET was in a deep bench role for the Hawks. I'm confident he would be glad to have a similar role for a contender, particularly under Stevens.

He has also mentioned several times over the past two years that he would be interested in returning to the Celtics one day to play for Stevens again.

He's a good guy to have at the end of the bench to use in case of emergency if any of our 4 wings are injured, which seems to be all the time so far this season.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 09:59:15 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2020, 10:34:03 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Is he an upgrade over Wanamaker at the point / ballhandler / offense-initiator spot?
Yes. That dude can put up stats on any given night. He plays well under Brad too as a versatile swiss army knife.
http://bkref.com/tiny/bvlQG

He's been far less productive in similar minutes than Wanamaker just last year.
They have different roles in the offense.
Not really.

Both are secondary ballhanders who come off the bench. Evan Turner brings more positional flexibility on the defensive end and better rebounding but that doesn't make up for the massive efficiency gap offensively.

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2020, 10:37:21 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Since Grant Williams got over his terrible 3 point shooting start, I think he has actually been a decent little offensive player. His stats per game since that made three pointer:

11 games
16.7 mins
5 points
2.3 rebounds
1.3 assists
52.5% FG%
36.8% 3PT%
60% FT%
60.2% TS%

Given most of the time he is the #4 or #5 scoring option while playing, that's pretty good. He is also just a 21 year old rookie and is tremendously versatile and good as a defender. And, yeah, would love a better scorer off the bench but Grant is not a zero on offense. He is becoming very efficient as a scorer and a good passer that can initiate offense for others. I really like his game and potential.
I see very little potential. Even with that stretch he's still at 36fg% as a PF with an avg of 3pts and 2 rebs 1 ast in 15mpg on the year.

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2020, 10:42:42 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Go look at Avery Bradley's stats his first two years if you think his poor PG stats mean he's got little potential.

Williams isn't going to be a star, but he's already reasonably productive player as a rookie being put in tough defensive role. It is on the defensive end he shines, when he's on the court the C's are really good on that end.

If he can make shots he's going to be in the C's rotation all year, including the playoffs.

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2020, 10:56:28 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

he's definitely not a shooter and was the secondary ball handler when he was with the club.

at this point in his career, I think the team is better off with Wanamaker and Green over Evans since they can shoot from outside and finish around the basket. 

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2020, 11:22:20 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

As a deep bench player, I’d much rather have Turner on a playoff roster.  In the event of an injury to any of about 6 players (Walker, Smart, Wanamaker, Hayward, Brown, and Tatum), Turner could slot into the rotation.  And given how the first 3 months of the season have played out, it feels unlikely we’ll make it through the playoffs without missing at least one of the aforementioned on most nightsz. Meanwhile, despite being continually down 1-2 guards and wings in lower leverage regular season games, Javonte still can’t get off the bench.

As for would Turner choose to come to Boston — if he got offered a starting/6th man role somewhere else, I’m sure he’d take it if he felt that offer to be legit. But in the absence of that, he clearly had a very good experience in Boston and a good rapport with Brad, as well as Ainge.  And Stevens did a great job of rehabbing Turner’s free agent value last time around — heading into free agency again, why wouldn’t he want to let Brad show the league how to properly use him?

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2020, 05:39:40 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Go look at Avery Bradley's stats his first two years if you think his poor PG stats mean he's got little potential.

Williams isn't going to be a star, but he's already reasonably productive player as a rookie being put in tough defensive role. It is on the defensive end he shines, when he's on the court the C's are really good on that end.

If he can make shots he's going to be in the C's rotation all year, including the playoffs.
AB was a physical dynamo and elite defender day one. He was a high prospect coming out of high school who was only 20 years old when drafted. Most would agree GW isn't at AB's level. AB at 21 years old played 21mpg and was 7.6pts 1.8rebs 49fg% and again was an elite defender. GW is at 15mpg 3pts 2rebs 36fg% and is just an average defender.

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2020, 07:53:15 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
oh what the heck ,  might as well bring back old " concrete mitts " too .  :D

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2020, 08:39:42 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

AB was a physical dynamo and elite defender day one. He was a high prospect coming out of high school who was only 20 years old when drafted. Most would agree GW isn't at AB's level. AB at 21 years old played 21mpg and was 7.6pts 1.8rebs 49fg% and again was an elite defender. GW is at 15mpg 3pts 2rebs 36fg% and is just an average defender.
Grant Williams is much better than average defender.

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2020, 09:40:03 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I view Turner the same way as I view Terry Rozier and Marcus Morris.  He want to get his shots first and foremost.

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2020, 09:47:49 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
There is a reason Evan Turner was portrayed as the literal embodiment of inefficient long twos by Game of Zones a while back.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2020, 10:04:56 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If he is ok with spot minutes, I could see him as an upgrade over Green off the bench.   An extra playmaker off the bench when Walker, Hayward or Smart is missing. 

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2020, 10:43:57 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
We need shooting off the bench. So no.

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2020, 05:01:01 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Bump!