Author Topic: The buyout / 15th roster spot thread...  (Read 21281 times)

The buyout / 15th roster spot thread...
« on: February 09, 2024, 02:31:40 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Celtics can sign one bought out player making up to $12.4 million this season.  To be eligible for the playoffs, the player needs to be waived by March 1; we can sign such player up until the last day of the regular season.  This thread is for identifying bought out players and discussing their potential fit.

Confirmed buyouts:

Spencer Dinwiddie* (Mavs interested)
Marcus Morris*
Killian Hayes
Joe Harris*
Otto Porter, Jr.
Danuel House
Robin Lopez
Danilo Gallinari (Miami interested)
Cory Joseph
Harry Giles

Rumored / potential buyouts:

Kyle Lowry* (Philadelphia interested)
Cedi Osman
Seth Curry
Evan Fournier*
Patty Mills
Delon Wright

* Players with an asterisk are not allowed to sign with the Celtics, or any team over the "first apron".
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 11:50:20 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: The buyout / 15th roster spot thread...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2024, 02:41:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
If Seth Curry, Gallinari or Osman got bought out I would absolutely love to do it for either of them.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2024, 02:49:47 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Before PP's emergence I'd have been interested in Patty Mills. Now I just think he would block PP's development.

Assuming our top 10 and the bulk of the 240 mins a game is set with

Ball Handlers: Jrue, White, PP
Wings: Jaylen, Jayson, Hauser
Bigs: KP, Al, Kornet, Tillman

I don't know if any of those names would a) crack our rotation and b) move the needle. So I'd be ruling out players that are expecting to play a lot. Some, like Seth, seem like they could be useful as shooters off the bench, but his performance seem to have dropped off a cliff and he was never the best defender. Osman and Hayes would have to crack our rotation ahead of PP and Sam, because I doubt they would be happy being used as deep bench. With a team like ours that is so top heavy, I'd be a bit concerned about the fit of anyone who might be expecting to play major minutes because I can't see it happening with our team. I worry that whatever marginal value those players would add might affect chemistry if they are overqualified for the role that awaits them. Unless of course they make it obvious that they are willing to do a Blake Griffin and sacrifice for a championship. More likely for Seth and Cedi as they've been there done that than for Killian.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2024, 02:51:14 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Kupchak expects “resolution” on Kyle Lowry in the next 24-48 hours. Judging by his tone, a buyout is almost certain

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024, 02:54:27 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Before PP's emergence I'd have been interested in Patty Mills. Now I just think he would block PP's development.

I don't know if any of those names would a) crack our rotation and b) move the needle. So I'd be ruling out players that are expecting to play a lot. Some, like Seth, seem like they could be useful as shooters off the bench, but his performance seem to have dropped off a cliff and he was never the best defender. Osman and Hayes would have to crack our rotation ahead of PP and Sam, because I doubt they would be happy being used as deep bench. With a team like ours that is so top heavy, I'd be a bit concerned about the fit of anyone who might be expecting to play major minutes because I can't see it happening with our team.

Yeah, here's what Brad said about any signee:

The Celtics have time now to evaluate the buyout market which is quickly filling up with veteran names over the past two days. However, Stevens indicated that the team planned to be patient with filling that spot as the team evaluates its options.

“I think we just have to see, number one, is if there’s somebody that can again provide great depth for our group,” Stevens said Friday morning. “I don’t anticipate, you know a person that vaults into our, every night rotation.

Neemias Queta would appear to be a final candidate for that spot after some strong play as a two-way center for the team this year. However, Stevens would not commit to promoting him as more proven names hit the market. Queta would not be eligible for the postseason if he is not signed to the 15-man roster.

“We have to continue to evaluate everything for that last roster spot we have opened, but Neemie’s done a great job,” Stevens said.

My hope is for Gallo, I guess.  I assume he goes to Miami, but I like the "finish the story" narrative of him coming back here.

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 03:01:34 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Gallo or Porter, whoever is healthier (or, less unhealthy).

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2024, 03:01:54 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

I don't know if any of those names would a) crack our rotation and b) move the needle. So I'd be ruling out players that are expecting to play a lot. Some, like Seth, seem like they could be useful as shooters off the bench, but his performance seem to have dropped off a cliff and he was never the best defender. Osman and Hayes would have to crack our rotation ahead of PP and Sam, because I doubt they would be happy being used as deep bench. With a team like ours that is so top heavy, I'd be a bit concerned about the fit of anyone who might be expecting to play major minutes because I can't see it happening with our team.

Yeah, here's what Brad said about any signee:

The Celtics have time now to evaluate the buyout market which is quickly filling up with veteran names over the past two days. However, Stevens indicated that the team planned to be patient with filling that spot as the team evaluates its options.

“I think we just have to see, number one, is if there’s somebody that can again provide great depth for our group,” Stevens said Friday morning. “I don’t anticipate, you know a person that vaults into our, every night rotation.

Neemias Queta would appear to be a final candidate for that spot after some strong play as a two-way center for the team this year. However, Stevens would not commit to promoting him as more proven names hit the market. Queta would not be eligible for the postseason if he is not signed to the 15-man roster.

“We have to continue to evaluate everything for that last roster spot we have opened, but Neemie’s done a great job,” Stevens said.

My hope is for Gallo, I guess.  I assume he goes to Miami, but I like the "finish the story" narrative of him coming back here.

Yup if they were willing to do a Blake Griffin and sit on the bench and be a cheerleader and flag waver after having played 15-20mpg earlier in the season and go to 5 min here and there sporadically and not be unhappy about it, then I'd be all for it. Younger players, especially those trying to get paid or stay in the league, might find it hard to do that. Older players, vets, might be willing to sacrifice for a championship at this stage of their careers.

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2024, 03:08:02 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
BUT...

...if we assumed that whoever we signed in the buyout market would be ok with whatever role we gave them, even if it was bench cheerleader, I wouldn't mind having Cedi, Seth or Patty. Patty could be deep insurance for PP, Seth can't be worse than Svi, and Cedi could be an alternative if Sam's radar is off.

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2024, 03:14:37 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
I’ve always liked Patty Mills

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2024, 03:27:23 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
I forgot to include Neemie in that 10-man (now 11-man) rotation I listed earlier...I think he would definitely be part of the playoff rotation because he offers something different to the other 4 bigs that are there...maybe Tillman would be similar, but Neemie has more bulk.

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2024, 03:43:20 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I say Lowery to 76ers
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2024, 03:54:22 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Gallo or Porter, whoever is healthier (or, less unhealthy).

Do either of them have a role on this roster, especially now that Tillman is here? I really like Galinari, but would he ever see the floor on this team?

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2024, 04:58:05 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Kormaz and Knox both waived today.

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2024, 04:58:59 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
From Brad’s press conference earlier, it sounds like anyone signed would have to accept not playing most nights.  Which seems obvious, but also means we’re more likely to just sign Queta in a few more weeks.

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2024, 05:14:50 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Gallinari is somewhat intriguing to me.  At least he has the potential to improve.  It is possible that he is still not at full strength after the surgery.  It can talk a whole season to be fully back.  So maybe, you can bring him in, keep him working on his reconditioning, and maybe, he gives you something in the playoffs.  A spark in a game or two.  I don't think you can expect anything more from any of these guys.

He also might simply be spent and this is as good as he is going to be.  We could bring him in at minimum cost, let him keep working, keep Queta on his 2-way, and then make the call closer to the playoffs.  If Gallinari is showing anything, keep him.  If not, cut him and convert Queta.  That is the beauty of having Queta on a 2-way, all the flexibility in the world, and he will can be an RFA next season if we don't convert him.