Author Topic: Celtics Regular Season News  (Read 136755 times)

Re: Celtics Regular Season News
« Reply #390 on: February 17, 2024, 10:59:06 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1646
  • What a Pub Should Be
Hoopshype says Drummond almost went to Philly, but Chicago wanted three #2s.

Can't blame Chicago for trying.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #391 on: February 17, 2024, 12:53:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
Hoopshype says Drummond almost went to Philly, but Chicago wanted three #2s.

Can't blame Chicago for trying.
[/quoteSure, but they should have lowered the cost and moved him when they didnt get 3. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #392 on: February 17, 2024, 12:56:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
Drummond is the kind of guy for the Celtics who wouldn't play much, but in a series against Embiid, Jokic, etc. he'd be great to have as another big body to lean into those type players and help wear them out.  Boston again not using a TPE and some 2nd round picks, when they are so close is so frustrating.  Use the assets and go all in.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #393 on: February 17, 2024, 01:11:56 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3061
  • On To Banner 18!
Drummond is the kind of guy for the Celtics who wouldn't play much, but in a series against Embiid, Jokic, etc. he'd be great to have as another big body to lean into those type players and help wear them out.  Boston again not using a TPE and some 2nd round picks, when they are so close is so frustrating.  Use the assets and go all in.

I agree but if CHI was asking for three 2nd rounders I'm fine passing on that.

I think Tillman can be that 3rd guy who can body up against Embiid/Jokic/Giannis/Bam though. He was solid for MEM last year even in the playoffs, he wasn't the problem and did the best he could, it's just MEM lost their entire frontcourt to injury at the end of the season.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #394 on: February 17, 2024, 03:40:09 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2434
Tillman > Drummond

« Reply #395 on: February 17, 2024, 04:28:10 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25592
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

If Drummond didn't play much, he would pout and lose focus. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #396 on: February 17, 2024, 04:38:05 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 639

I tend to agree. He’d be Subtraction by addition. He’s not better enuff than the other players at his position. Tillman better, Kornet may be better all around and gels with team. So he’s battling to be the 4th or 5th big?

U add a guy with the off chance that might help u in a playoff game when there’s also a chance he actually creates negative value in the locker room or even trouble meshing in the court.

« Reply #397 on: February 17, 2024, 05:04:17 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3223

Drummond is unplayable in meaningful games due to his free-throw shooting. Also, Drummond can't or won't defend.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 05:11:04 PM by liam »

« Reply #398 on: February 17, 2024, 06:46:31 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25592
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #399 on: February 18, 2024, 11:37:47 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 105

Drummond is unplayable in meaningful games due to his free-throw shooting. Also, Drummond can't or won't defend.

I don’t want Drummond but he’s about 56 percent from the foul line. Tillman is waaaaaay worse at 42 percent. You never want him at the line at any time.

« Reply #400 on: February 18, 2024, 11:59:33 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
It is true that Tillman has his own issues from the FT line but I really don't have much interest in Drummond.  Drummond hasn't been good on either end of the court for years.

For Tillman, I think his career averages are a pretty good indication of what we can expect from him, no necessarily this seasons stats.  He is a career 57% FT shooter.  Not good.  A real issue.  He is 52% from the field overall and 26% from 3.  He will get his dunks and put backs, but you can't expect much more.  He averages 1.5 ORebs and 2.7 DRebs to go with about 6 pts in about 18 min per game.

Offensive rebounds are an underrated stat in my mind.  Those are extra possessions, kind of the opposite of turnovers.

Tillman has played in 18 post season games in 3 seasons and has started 12.  Last post season, he played over 30 min per game in 6 games, forced into that role due to injuries.  Overall, 9 pts, 8 rebs, 3 assists in the post season last season.  I predict that he emerges ahead of Kornet on the depth chart but still probably pretty limited post season minutes as we continue to play small with an extra guard over a second big.  I hope he gets to play regularly for the rest of the regular season though.  Based on his career in MEM, he should be able to play on par with Pritchard or Hauser, but can offer a very different role.

« Reply #401 on: February 18, 2024, 02:54:41 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 769
It is true that Tillman has his own issues from the FT line but I really don't have much interest in Drummond.  Drummond hasn't been good on either end of the court for years.

For Tillman, I think his career averages are a pretty good indication of what we can expect from him, no necessarily this seasons stats.  He is a career 57% FT shooter.  Not good.  A real issue.  He is 52% from the field overall and 26% from 3.  He will get his dunks and put backs, but you can't expect much more.  He averages 1.5 ORebs and 2.7 DRebs to go with about 6 pts in about 18 min per game.

Offensive rebounds are an underrated stat in my mind.  Those are extra possessions, kind of the opposite of turnovers.

Tillman has played in 18 post season games in 3 seasons and has started 12.  Last post season, he played over 30 min per game in 6 games, forced into that role due to injuries.  Overall, 9 pts, 8 rebs, 3 assists in the post season last season.  I predict that he emerges ahead of Kornet on the depth chart but still probably pretty limited post season minutes as we continue to play small with an extra guard over a second big.  I hope he gets to play regularly for the rest of the regular season though.  Based on his career in MEM, he should be able to play on par with Pritchard or Hauser, but can offer a very different role.

Offensive rebounds being the opposite of turnovers is an interesting way to view it, but much like a defender "cheating" on passing lanes to get steals, but compromising the team defense in the process, I think offensive rebounds could be viewed similarly.

Getting extra possessions is valuable, but a quick and easy way to combat them is for defenses to take advantage of those offensive rebounders by beating them down the court when they are out of position, which opens up runs to the rim and three pointers.

« Reply #402 on: February 19, 2024, 11:11:29 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1487
Tatum meeting Bird for the first time. Cool to see..

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/5YnMrxiITb8
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #403 on: February 19, 2024, 05:02:28 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1869
Tatum meeting Bird for the first time. Cool to see..

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/5YnMrxiITb8

So Bird used to be 6'9".  JT looks at a minimum 1" taller standing next to Bird.  So JT is 6'10".....stop the crap that he is 6'8".
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #404 on: February 19, 2024, 07:24:06 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890

Offensive rebounds being the opposite of turnovers is an interesting way to view it, but much like a defender "cheating" on passing lanes to get steals, but compromising the team defense in the process, I think offensive rebounds could be viewed similarly.

Getting extra possessions is valuable, but a quick and easy way to combat them is for defenses to take advantage of those offensive rebounders by beating them down the court when they are out of position, which opens up runs to the rim and three pointers.

I agree with you in terms of steals.  That can be a misleading stat.  For every steal, there may be a possession that ends with a missed steal and an easy basket for the other team.  ORebs to me are not the same, especially for a player like Tillman.  You can't have all 5 over committing for ORebs every possession but you also don't want to just concede the rebound. 

A guy like Tillman can hang around for the OReb and not get beat back down the court.  That ins't to say he should recklessly crash every possession, it depends on where he is on the court, who he is supposed to cover, is someone else already under the basket.  But I feel ORebs are an important stat, both ways.  Just like turnovers.