Author Topic: Missed call? (Adebayo's block...)  (Read 5255 times)

Re: Missed call? (Adebayo's block...)
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2020, 11:20:21 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
I have no problem with what Tatum did on that play (unlike some other possessions late in that game). 

Bam just made a ridiculously, insane, helluva play.  It happens.  Unfortunately, the C's were on the short end of it.

Go back and watch the play. It was a great play because he managed to block the ball so cleanly, but he was there, and Tatum had time to see him and get it on the backboard. He was absolutely going to challenge that shot, and a one handed dunk was a stupid move. For great players, it is always about reading the rotation guy, and this time that wasn't very difficult.

I've watched it several times.  He was already elevating when Bam really came in his line of sight (Tatum's head is down right as he's gathering the ball to start jumping).  Jayson was already preparing to attempt it as a dunk.  It was so bang-bang that I have a hard time faulting Tatum for not switching his hold on the ball from slam to a layup attempt while in mid elevation.  It was a helluva play by Bam. 

Obviously, in retrospect, a layup would've been the way to go.

That's just not true. Bam was there clear as a bell, before and during the drive. No bodies in the way. He wasn't even covering anyone.

There's a difference between being there and being within Tatum's line of sight.  I'm not entirely sure Tatum saw Bam there from the point he started his drive just outside the 3 point line to the point where he was gathering/starting his elevation.  When Tatum started the switchover on the dribble to start his drive, Bam was shadowing Smart slightly outside the paint.  I think at the point that Tatum realized Bam was right on him, he was already starting the dunk with his right hand.   At that point, it become bang-bang. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2020, 11:22:52 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I have no problem with what Tatum did on that play (unlike some other possessions late in that game). 

Bam just made a ridiculously, insane, helluva play.  It happens.  Unfortunately, the C's were on the short end of it.

Go back and watch the play. It was a great play because he managed to block the ball so cleanly, but he was there, and Tatum had time to see him and get it on the backboard. He was absolutely going to challenge that shot, and a one handed dunk was a stupid move. For great players, it is always about reading the rotation guy, and this time that wasn't very difficult.

I've watched it several times.  He was already elevating when Bam really came in his line of sight (Tatum's head is down right as he's gathering the ball to start jumping).  Jayson was already preparing to attempt it as a dunk.  It was so bang-bang that I have a hard time faulting Tatum for not switching his hold on the ball from slam to a layup attempt while in mid elevation.  It was a helluva play by Bam. 

That's just not true. Bam was there clear as a bell, before and during the drive. No bodies in the way. He wasn't even covering anyone.

The degree of difficulty on the block was much higher than the dunk. If Bam didn't time it perfectly it would have been either a dunk or a foul. I can't blame Tatum for going with the odds, consciously or not. I'm just glad he made it to the basket. Sure, would have been nice if he could have double-pumped, switched hands and laid it in while Bam swatted at air. But there's like much more room for error in that move than just trying to beat one guy to the rim.

I hope he continues to blow past Jimmy Butler for the rest of the series. If he does that, the Celtics will have much more success on the average play.

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2020, 01:55:58 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

The degree of difficulty on the block was much higher than the dunk. If Bam didn't time it perfectly it would have been either a dunk or a foul. I can't blame Tatum for going with the odds, consciously or not. I'm just glad he made it to the basket. Sure, would have been nice if he could have double-pumped, switched hands and laid it in while Bam swatted at air. But there's like much more room for error in that move than just trying to beat one guy to the rim.

I hope he continues to blow past Jimmy Butler for the rest of the series. If he does that, the Celtics will have much more success on the average play.

Bam got a perfect block, but even if he didn't catch the ball perfectly, he was going to challenge the shot. He just had to lay it in off the backboard instead of showboating. That would have given him the extra space he needed, easily. It did not require a circus move at all.

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2020, 02:55:51 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
The only way to goal-tend a dunk attempt is to put your hand from inside the rim. Maybe next time Bam is under the rim in good position JT could lay it up off the glass. No way Bam gets that high to block it and JT more likely to draw a foul.
It’s water under the bridge now and the dunk Attempt was not bad... however I don’t understand why Tatum didn’t go for a layup instead of dunk....
It would have gotten blocked too.

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2020, 06:02:16 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574

Bam got a perfect block, but even if he didn't catch the ball perfectly, he was going to challenge the shot. He just had to lay it in off the backboard instead of showboating. That would have given him the extra space he needed, easily. It did not require a circus move at all.

And if he missed The lay up or it got blocked, people would be complaining he did go strong.  If he doesn’t block it people would be talking about Tatums monster jam. Bam made a great play. End of story

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2020, 06:24:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

And if he missed The lay up or it got blocked, people would be complaining he did go strong.  If he doesn’t block it people would be talking about Tatums monster jam. Bam made a great play. End of story

Yep.  How often are dunks blocks cleanly? Not very often. I think that if Tatum tried to get fancy and put a layup off the glass, he would have been more likely to miss.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2020, 06:27:21 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
From what I’ve seen on other forums apparently if the ball has not left the offensive players hand it isn’t goaltending.

The ball never leaving the shooters hand shouldn’t have anything to do with it.

The ball was over the rim and you’re not suppose to touch it.

Even if it was a super bad pass on a lob and had no shot at going in no defender is suppose to be allowed to touch the ball if it’s over the rim.

Well, by this logic all dunk attempts should be offensive goaltending.  The rules don't exactly differentiate between offensive and defensive players.

I believe in the past they were called that way which was why dunking wasn't "allowed".

But since it's become so entertaining they stopped calling it.

I just don't see then why players don't "cover" the hoop on every dunk attempt to "block" each dunk.

They literally should just stick there hand over the top of the hoop and wait for each dunk....especially one handed dunks like Tatum's attempt.

On that particular play the block was definitely met prior to the ball being over the rim but as the play continues it's momentum takes both the defender's hand and ball over the rim.

So now we're saying had the ball come "loose" and it was over the top of the rim and Bam touched it then it would be called a goal tend?

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2020, 06:28:55 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79

We'd also kill Tatum for passing to a wide open Smart (had he missed) for a game winning 3.

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2020, 06:29:39 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Yep.  How often are dunks blocks cleanly? Not very often. I think that if Tatum tried to get fancy and put a layup off the glass, he would have been more likely to miss.

Didn't he toss a horrible shot off the glass just a couple of minutes before that? It wasn't quite a lay-up, but still wasn't pretty. People have been complaining about Tatum not going strong at the hoop since he got here. I loved the attempt, Bam just made a better play.

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2020, 07:06:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Didn't he toss a horrible shot off the glass just a couple of minutes before that? It wasn't quite a lay-up, but still wasn't pretty. People have been complaining about Tatum not going strong at the hoop since he got here. I loved the attempt, Bam just made a better play.
Yeah, props to Bam. He’s a defensive team guy for a reason
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)